Time to Buy Scuba Fins...! - Pensacola Fishing Forum

Go Back   Pensacola Fishing Forum > Scuba Forums > Gear Reviews and Q&A

Old 02-18-2014, 02:41 AM   #1
Cigar Minnow

Default Time to Buy Scuba Fins...!

Hi there!
I am looking forward to getting my teeth into this scuba diving thing! I am in starting to buy my own gear, as I want to dive a lot more often from now on.

I have already bought the knife and the mask. Next on the list of things to spend my hard earned dollars in is the set of diving fins. So many scuba fins to chose from that it's making my head spin!

I am looking for a bit of help from more experienced divers out there that have already bought their own fins.

I like the look of split fins, but hear that they are not as good for spearfishing (my underwater pastime of choice). Any help here would be great!

Thanks
fisheyejoe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-18-2014, 05:13 AM   #2
Grand Slam

Go down to Dive Pros on 98 and you can try any fins on in there on site heated pool with no obligation to purchase them.
sealark is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-18-2014, 07:52 AM   #3
Big Dog
Mingo

Quote:
Originally Posted by sealark View Post
Go down to Dive Pros on 98 and you can try any fins on in there on site heated pool with no obligation to purchase them.
+1 They are close to me and I get my compressed tank filled there and I have seen the large collection of fins they have. I am sure you will not be disappointed.
C1DoG is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-18-2014, 09:41 AM   #4
Cigar Minnow

Quote:
Originally Posted by C1DoG View Post
+1 They are close to me and I get my compressed tank filled there and I have seen the large collection of fins they have. I am sure you will not be disappointed.
Ah, thanks for the recommendations, guys. That had not occurred to me.

I have had a little look around online to see what's out there and within my budget.

There's an absolute TONNE of brands and different styles out there. You guys tried any Oceanic Fins?

Thx
Joe
fisheyejoe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-18-2014, 10:42 AM   #5
Sailfish

Fins are a matter of preference, you'll get 10 different opinions about which fins are best. I personally like Aeris Mako (cheap) and atomic split fins (expensive). They are both low-energy flexible fins, which is my preference. I paid $20 for my makos on craigslist and used them over 100 times.

Any fin that's good for diving and comfortable for you is going to be good for spearfishing. I wear atomic splits now and they are fine for spearfishing.

Click for Spearfishing, Astrophotography, Timelapse, Diving, Fishing, Skiing, Warrior Dash videos:

http://www.youtube.com/user/jdbeach2...?sort=p&view=0

aquatic argobull is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-23-2014, 11:13 PM   #6
Ruby Red Lip

I have the atomic's I rather like them but I'm small so don't have to kick real hard to move. by the way if you are going to wear boots with ur fins make sure u have them on when u are trying the fins on. I had to jump up a size
97ford150 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-24-2014, 07:27 AM   #7
Sailfish

Atomic splits are awesome. I never would have believed they were worth the money without trying them. My girl has a set of the Atomic splits, but I'm still using my original Mares Avanti fins, which are great. If/when I ever need to replace them, I'm getting the Atomic split fins.
FelixH is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-11-2014, 07:49 PM   #8
Cigar Minnow

I have a set of Scubapro Twin Jets that I am pretty happy with. They are not too heavy and provide a good amount of thrust. The only problem I have with them is that I am a short guy (5'4") and they feel a little long when I am not in the water.
ShortRound is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-21-2014, 05:46 PM   #9
Mingo

Send a message via AIM to Caver2130

I have literally kicked over 100 pairs of fins. I've come up with a few thoughts:

1) Fit is more important than any other factor
2) Split fins are great (especially if your kick technique is not). However, when you get under a load (carrying more gear, in a current, etc), you must resist the temptation to "over-kick" the fin. But, if used effectively, it will allow a novice diver to not use as much gas, and not over-exert themselves.
3) Personally, I like a solid "jet-style" fin (I like the Hollis), because of the control I get and it does not matter if I'm in doubles with 3 stages, or in a single tank, they kick the same. However, they take more energy to move through the water.
Caver2130 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-05-2015, 09:14 PM   #10
Ruby Red Lip

Ive used Force Fins for many years. Easy to kick, pack, put on, and very comfortable.
tkramerv is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pensacola Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
How Did You Find Us?
Tell us how you heard about Pensacola Fishing Forum.

Log-in