tank O2 cleaning - Pensacola Fishing Forum

Go Back   Pensacola Fishing Forum > Scuba Forums > Gear Reviews and Q&A

Old 05-29-2008, 01:45 AM   #1
Grouper

Default tank O2 cleaning

I need to get an aluminum 100 O2 cleaned. I'm new to nitrox diving. I have not called any dive shops so I thought I would ask here first. Do all dive shops in the area do this and what is the going rate for this service. The tank is in hydro but will need to be vip. Thanks Ken
dsar592 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-29-2008, 07:53 AM   #2
Grouper

Send a message via MSN to bmoore
Default RE: tank O2 cleaning

This is a crock.

If a tank is going to have less than 40% o2 there is really nothing that needs to be done.

If you plan on putting more than 40% 02 I would take the valve off and apart, soak it in simple green and replace the o-rings with vinton and use 02 acceptable grease.

I have two ponies that hold pure 02 which I also scrubbed out the inside with simple green, rinsed and dried.

Next time your driving down the road take a look at a welders o2 setup. Not quite immaculately clean and he is putting flame to it!

Holy Sh** this is what the dive pros charge

<TABLE style="BORDER-COLLAPSE: collapse" cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 border=0><TBODY><TR><TD style="BORDER-RIGHT: windowtext 0.5pt solid; PADDING-RIGHT: 5.4pt; BORDER-TOP: medium none; PADDING-LEFT: 5.4pt; PADDING-BOTTOM: 0in; BORDER-LEFT: windowtext 0.5pt solid; WIDTH: 293.4pt; PADDING-TOP: 0in; BORDER-BOTTOM: windowtext 0.5pt solid" vAlign=top width=391><P style="BACKGROUND: white; MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt; LINE-HEIGHT: 15pt"><SPAN style="FONT-SIZE: 10pt; FONT-FAMILY: Verdana">Cylinder &amp; Valve Oxygen Cleaning (does not include parts)</TD><TD style="BORDER-RIGHT: windowtext 0.5pt solid; PADDING-RIGHT: 5.4pt; BORDER-TOP: medium none; PADDING-LEFT: 5.4pt; PADDING-BOTTOM: 0in; BORDER-LEFT: medium none; WIDTH: 1.5in; PADDING-TOP: 0in; BORDER-BOTTOM: windowtext 0.5pt solid" vAlign=top width=144><P style="BACKGROUND: white; MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt; LINE-HEIGHT: 15pt; TEXT-ALIGN: center" align=center><SPAN style="FONT-SIZE: 10pt; FONT-FAMILY: Verdana">$60.00</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
bmoore is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-29-2008, 10:23 PM   #3
Sailfish

O2 cleaning is not terribly complicated, but there are some areas that require more care.

At MBT, we require all NITROX tanks to be O2 cleaned because we "partial pressure" fill - meaning, we start with 100% O2 in the tank and then "dilute" it with air. Every mix is a essentially a custom mix.Wecharge $35 for the cleaning, VIP, and Fill with up to 40% - including parts.

Shops that bank premixed nitrox don't need to worry as much about O2 cleaning because the tank isn't exposed to O2 above 40%(althoughsome of these shops will still require the cleaning).

Once a tank is O2 cleaned, it doesn't have to be re-cleanedunless it has gotten contaminated. You can still use the tank for air as long as you get the fill from a clean compressor and fill station.

Jim Phillips
Lost Bay Designs™
Custom Screen Printing
Vinyl Graphics
Promotional Products
www.lostbaydesigns.com
Evensplit is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-30-2008, 01:49 AM   #4
Grouper

thanks for the replys. they did help.
dsar592 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-30-2008, 08:50 AM   #5
Grouper

Good point EvenSplit. If you are throwing pure 02 in an empty tank to partial pressure fill, it is proabably good idea.

More on this later.
Old 05-30-2008, 12:24 PM   #6
Blue Marlin

Haa haa Brian...You said "probably a good idea"!

Not sticking your toung in a light socket is probably a good idea too! oke Just kidding buddy.

If I'm not mistaken, most shops use the partial fill method, where you are getting 100% pure O2 pumped in! And I don't think any shop will fill without that punched sticker. $35 is a great price, since that includes you VIP too!
Old 05-30-2008, 01:34 PM   #7
Trigger

Dive pros uses bank mixing, and will put nitrox in a non-stamped cylinder. They will not go over 40% or pump pure O2 in one not cleaned.
SCUBA Junkie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-16-2008, 02:42 PM   #8
Ruby Red Lip

Dude,

Just take the valve off, put some simple green in there.. wash it out a few times. Flush some of that through the valve too. Look in the tank, it should be clean.. no particles, scale, white powder from the AL,or anything. Now you're good to go. People get really homo on this O2 clean garbage. It is a way for dive shops to charge you more money every year. You know, there is no law that tanks have to be hydro'ed or VIP'ed every year. smoke, mirrors, more money out of your wallet, etc. If you do the above you're good forpartial presure fill nitrox or pure O2.

If it is banked Nitrox, you could put it in a rusty tank half full of gasoline and you'd be fine...
jameswirth is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-16-2008, 03:04 PM   #9
Grand Slam

Quote:
jameswirth (7/16/2008)Dude,

Just take the valve off, put some simple green in there.. wash it out a few times. Flush some of that through the valve too. Look in the tank, it should be clean.. no particles, scale, white powder from the AL,or anything. Now you're good to go. People get really homo on this O2 clean garbage. It is a way for dive shops to charge you more money every year. You know, there is no law that tanks have to be hydro'ed or VIP'ed every year. smoke, mirrors, more money out of your wallet, etc. If you do the above you're good forpartial pressure fill nitrox or pure O2.

If it is banked Nitrox, you could put it in a rusty tank half full of gasoline and you'd be fine...
As long as you don't put more than 500 psi of pure O2 into a tank before putting air into it you are fine. As for the hydro of a tank it MUST be hydroed at least every 5 years to be LEGAL its the law. As for the VIP you are correct but try and get a tank filled at a shop without a VIP it's an unwritten law so to speak. As for the homo about O2 here's what can happen if you have a dirty or contaminated line in the charging system of pure O2. Charge that cylinder with pure O2 very slow or it will make a very very big booming sound!!!

Old 07-23-2008, 08:06 AM   #10
Grouper

I think I read somewhere..(I will have to find the exact reference), that the laws of tank hydro only applies to vehicles transporting cylinders across a state line.

Im not 100% sure on this and will see if I can find the book/article which stated it.

Of course you might have trouble with a dive shop filling the thing.........

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pensacola Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
How Did You Find Us?
Tell us how you heard about Pensacola Fishing Forum.

Log-in