Riffe Guns? - Pensacola Fishing Forum

Go Back   Pensacola Fishing Forum > Scuba Forums > Gear Reviews and Q&A

Old 12-17-2012, 05:34 PM   #1
Sailfish

Default Riffe Guns?

I just sold off my JBL elite woody sawed-off. It was a super accurate gun, but had a lot of trigger problems. I even sent it back to JBL to rebuild the trigger and it still was a pain.

I'm looking to upgrade to a Riffe Padauk. I'm looking at the padauk #2S. This model has 3 bands, a 5/16" X 48" shaft and costs about $350.

Does anybody have any experience with riffe guns that you can share? For some reason, there is very limited review or personal experience information online. The only information I found was from people who just bought it and give the same information that I could find on the riffe website. I know they're pretty. I know it's a sought-after brand. I hear a lot of people saying that "Riffes are the best guns you can get" etc.. but why???

Does anybody have any experience with the paduak series or general pros and cons of Riffe competitor series??

Thanks in advance.

Click for Spearfishing, Astrophotography, Timelapse, Diving, Fishing, Skiing, Warrior Dash videos:

http://www.youtube.com/user/jdbeach2...?sort=p&view=0

aquatic argobull is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-17-2012, 05:44 PM   #2
Sailfish

I use a riffe comp 2x and love that gun. I did think about upgrading or adding a 3X just in case we decide to shoot bigger Pelagics but the 2xis everything I need for the reef fish. We have easily shot 40+ pound grouper, 50+ pound Amber Jack and Cobia and not had any trouble. Good luck....
no woryz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-17-2012, 06:42 PM   #3
Grouper

A.B. I shoot Riffe's and love them. some of the ups and downs are this. they're much quiteter than JBL and much more effiecent without the use of the slider for shock cord attachment. The slider actually robs a bit of the energy. They take some getting used to for wrapping the shock cord because it wraps differently. An actual Riffe tip is designed for big fish which most of what we kill aren't, I say that to say this, a Riffe tip doesn't have the wing lock slide ring like the cheaper tips. this slide ring also costs you energy and penetration on fish. I shoot 2-9/16" bands on mine and find it to be way more power than I typically need. I also replaced the shock cord with 3/32 stainless and a homemade bungy and shortened it by one wrap which still gives me about 10-12 foot of range. By shortening it by one wrap it way simplifies the tangles in loading the gun and gives you a quicker retrieve if you're shooting fish that dart into the wreck after being hit such as grouper and Black Snapper the drawback is the stainless will frey over time and wear out the loop area on the end of the gun (you actually wrap the shock cord over and around the muzzle end of the gun) also, on some of mine the laminates at the muzzle where you feed your bands in have fallen out. doesn't seem to hurt the integrity of the gun any however. The handle and trigger on all of mine have been jam up and I've abused the stew out of them. the only other caviat is the safety is opposite of JBL and even though I've shot riffe now for 15 years I STILL can't get used to "OK, which was is fire and which way is safety?" when staring down a good fish.
Billybob+ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-18-2012, 04:46 AM   #4
Sailfish

I had the same problem when I bought mine. Some people on't like them though for some reason, just ask coolbluestreak. I love mine though. Like Billybob said they do take some getting used to because they are a little more difficult to learn to reload especially underwater. Once you get the hang of it, its no problem at all though. I have 3 bands on my gun but I really never need that many. Most of the time I have 2 bands loaded which will shoot through basically everything that I feel comfortable shooting from small black snapper to 50+ lb AJs. I guess I really should just take the one band off since two bands are overkill for shooting small fish.
I don't have the paddauk series though. I have a C2X in teak. Every so often I barely sand it down and then throw some more teak oil on it. One of my buddies has a 3x or 4x I can't remember and that thing is just unnecessary. It is so big and for shooting smaller fish is just a pain.
One thing I did was upgrade the shaft/tip. The stock one that came with it was a one piece flopper tip and I hated that thing. I like the twin wingtip version much better.
Oh and I also have to constantly figure out which way the safety is. For some reason I just cannot remember whenI am underwater.
Old 12-18-2012, 09:28 AM   #5
Jeremy Hoekstra
Sailfish

How dare you say anything bad about Riffe's?
"they're created by God!"

Very fast and very quite, good thing cuz you'll spend the next 5 minutes reloading it. I loved shooting mine but hated to reload it, I found myself passing on shots just so I didn't have to.

My next or spare gun will be a Ocean Rhino just because I wanna be cool like Swander, he's a assassin with his OR.
Old 12-18-2012, 09:57 AM   #6
Sailfish

It does not take that long to reload, especially when you get used to it. I don't think you gave it enough of a chance, Jeremy.

With increased capabilities in one area you have to give in another area. Yes it does take longer than other guns to reload and other guns you don't necessarily have to rewrap the shock cord for every shot but I would never shoot another guy after having the riffe. I actually would like to get a smaller one for shooting black snapper and such.
Old 12-18-2012, 12:24 PM   #7
Jeremy Hoekstra
Sailfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by MillerTime View Post
I would never shoot another guy after having the riffe.

I didnít realize that owning a riffe was such therapy for you?
Congrats on getting help.
Old 12-18-2012, 01:49 PM   #8
stonecoldshooter
Sailfish

Jeremy, take a Rhino for a real good test drive before you buy. My buddy has one. Swinging that thing around for a shot is like swinging a 2x4 underwater. It is a cool "all in one" if you get all the add ons. It has way too much drag for me.
Old 12-18-2012, 04:11 PM   #9
Sailfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolbluestreak View Post
I didnít realize that owning a riffe was such therapy for you?
Congrats on getting help.
Hahahaha...maybe you have some speech lessons "Fore Sale"!!

Having a Riffe is therapy, I can shoot a lot more fish than having another gun.
Old 12-18-2012, 04:41 PM   #10
Jeremy Hoekstra
Sailfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by MillerTime View Post

Hahahaha...maybe you have some speech lessons "Fore Sale"!!
Haha, lol!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pensacola Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
How Did You Find Us?
Tell us how you heard about Pensacola Fishing Forum.

Log-in