Riffe - Pensacola Fishing Forum

Go Back   Pensacola Fishing Forum > Scuba Forums > Gear Reviews and Q&A

Old 10-02-2009, 12:48 PM   #1
Ruby Red Lip

Default Riffe

I am into free diving and am looking at a Riffe Sight Mask. Just wondering if anyone on here has ever experienced anything with their masks?

I hear they are pretty much top of the line for free diving? Is that true?
Attached Images

hedden2005 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-02-2009, 01:05 PM   #2
Praedator
Grand Slam

Default RE: Riffe

When it comes to masks, you want a good silicone that is flexible. But most importantly, it needs to fit your face good in order to seal properly. There isnothing worse than a leaky mask. If a Walmart mask feels better and fits your face better than a $80 mask, go with the walmart one. As far as the Riffe mask, I do not know anything about it. But if it fits good and has a good quality silicone, then it should work just fine.

I have grown to like frameless masks. I love mine. Gives me much more visibility.
Telum Pisces is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-02-2009, 01:23 PM   #3
Sailfish

We've sold quite a few of the Riffe Masks. They're great for free divers because they are extremely low volume. You might also want to look at the Mares free diving masks.

Don't go just by brand name. Where ever you're shooping for a mask the staff should be able to help you find one that fits right and will have all of the features that you need.

Jim Phillips
Lost Bay Designs™
Custom Screen Printing
Vinyl Graphics
Promotional Products
www.lostbaydesigns.com
Evensplit is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-02-2009, 03:07 PM   #4
Ruby Red Lip

I have a walmart mask now and it's the worst thing ever! That's why j have to get a new one but I want the best my money can buy!

Who around here sells riffe masks and snorkels ? And mares for that matter. I do want a really low volume one as how it helps with equalizing. I can get the riffe mask for 72 and woul rather buy in a shop if possible ! Just don't want to spend alot more in the same mask! Thanks for the input.
Old 10-03-2009, 01:21 AM   #5
Ruby Red Lip

The best freediving mask is probably Aqualung Sphera.( was also made by different companies AQUASPHERE SPHERA OR TECHNISUB SPHERA ) has very low volume and is made of very flexible plastic. I did a 150 ft freedive without equalizing of this mask. Martin Stepanek made his world record 400ft freedive with this mask on and I think he said that he didn't equalize his Sphera from about 140ft all way down to 400ft.The mask is just bending under pressure around your face as you go deeper.

Has almost 180 degree horizontal field of view - excellent up - down is limited.

Well it has some cons - plastic lenses will scratch easily, distorts the vision because the lenses are curved so somebody will find it useless for spearfishing.

http://www.austinsdiving.com/proddet...p?prod=2205-31

Cressi Minima is also great for freediving but the vision is very limited due very small lenses.Not so good for spearing.

http://www.austinsdiving.com/proddet...?prod=DS292050

The mask what I'm using for freediving-spearfishing is Aqualung Micromask. It works really great for me very low volume and good vision.

http://www.leisurepro.com/prod/UDRMM..._sku=UDRMMMBBK

I also own Riffe Naida mask.This mask need a lot of air for equalizing in comparing with masks above.Don't really like it. However they say its one of the lowest volume mask made by Riffe.

https://www.flfreedivers.com/store/p...bsh9dulmjius22

jan1974 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-03-2009, 05:19 PM   #6
Ruby Red Lip

I went and tried on some masks today! I tried on an omer but the vis wasnt that great but good mask. I found the aqualung micro mask at scubatech but it was crazy expensive and i wanted the black silicon! Well I researched online and at scubashop.com I found the black silicon one for 71$!! Is there any other place that carries that mask for cheaper in the all black? Thanks for everyones input! Been a great help in my hunt for the perfect mask!
Old 10-04-2009, 12:14 AM   #7
Ruby Red Lip

Leisurepro.com has the Aqualung Micromask $64.95. Just select the color "all black" Here is the link(sorry i don't know how to post working link so just copy then paste)http://www.leisurepro.com/Prod/UDRMMM.html

Great mask.
jan1974 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-05-2009, 01:59 AM   #8
Mingo

I used to work at a local dive shop and the best selling mask was a promate sharp view or truview mask but the main key is that it seals to your face if it doesnt,it will not work for you. I personally freedive/scuba and have both of them, i prefer the yellow tint due to it takes out the particulate in the water, you will get a extra five to ten ft of extra vis,also they have a hint of polarazation in them and you are able to see fish alot easier. No shops carry them anymore so you can go to mako spearguns.com i know the owner great return pollicy if it doesnt work for you, also mite want to get a camo wetsuite in blue or green,they work well freediving. those mask are very reasonable priced around 40 or50 bucks. but they are every penny worth it, remember red is for color for the first 30ft or so,yellow is for extra vis in dirty water, but good luck.
GROUPER321 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-05-2009, 07:58 PM   #9
Ruby Red Lip

I actually bought a mask today. I went with the Omer alien and cressi standard j snorkel. I am actually going to buy the camo wetsuit from Mako. That is a great website with excellent prices from what I can tell! Thanks for all the help! I ended up spending 71 on mask and snorkel. Not too bad of a deal I thought.
Old 10-08-2009, 12:28 PM   #10
Mingo

good luck with the mask, just ask for dano he his the owner let him know brandon sent you their. i have the camo rash guard it really works great in the reefs. good luck
GROUPER321 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pensacola Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
How Did You Find Us?
Tell us how you heard about Pensacola Fishing Forum.

Log-in