"railguns" ? - Pensacola Fishing Forum

Go Back   Pensacola Fishing Forum > Scuba Forums > Gear Reviews and Q&A

Old 04-10-2012, 05:33 PM   #1
Snapper

Default "railguns" ?

browsing crigslist, i found a spekter railgun for sale locally. it got me thinking...most people i talk to around here use wood RIFFE/JBL/BILLER's and some use metal JBL/BILLER's.

how come you don't see many "railguns" like spekter, cressi, mares, etc? what purpose do they serve? ...and how the heck do you load them?...my only experience with spearguns has been with wood guns that you prop against yourself to pull the bands
below me is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-11-2012, 12:04 AM   #2
Sailfish

Generally the railguns are considered too light duty for our local area. They are very accurate and fast, but the shafts are usually considered too thin to hold up to the larger snapper, grouper, cobia, and AJ's that we shoot here. Most serious spear fishermen would wind up with a pretzel pretty quickly.

The rail guns are designed to be "chest loaded", european style.
Evensplit is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-11-2012, 02:05 PM   #3
Snapper

thanks for the reply. they do look pretty flimsy. i was just wondering since i never see them around this area.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-23-2012, 10:57 PM   #4
Sailfish

Hammerhead spearguns has released a railgun that has an extended butt which allows for hip loading, which makes it much more suitable for most folks around here. It's still a little on the light side, but it's well made and a great deal for around $150 or less.
Evensplit is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-23-2012, 11:06 PM   #5
Snorkiller
Trigger

Made the switch from biller to rob Allen and then to Aimrite carbon/kevlar rail guns. I'll never go back to anything else. Streamline, eAsy to swing, plenty of power, not noisy. I love rail guns and it's Hard to convince other people, but once they fire a real, (non jbl) rail gun they never go back. Definitely look into rob Allen or Aimrite, I've heard good things about the newer makos too. Never had one feel flimsy, but they make the carbons which are solid as a rock and ultra light. Thin shaft = speed. Tons of people take down large tunas/billfish with 7 1/2mm shafts

Last edited by skram; 05-23-2012 at 11:09 PM.
skram is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-25-2012, 12:19 AM   #6
Snapper

interesting. maybe i'll find a steal on one one day or dive with someone who has one. thanks for the input, yall.
Old 05-25-2012, 12:16 PM   #7
Ruby Red Lip

I am using a Mako rail gun, and love it. It is inexpensive, easy to load, and shoots plenty of big enough fish in the waters here in Panama City.
Check out Mako guns if you are interested in a great quality gun at an even better price. Besides, their warranty is the best in the business.

Stephen
toobad4u is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-31-2012, 12:13 AM   #8
Trigger
Cigar Minnow

Mako makes a package for $300 that involves a float line, reel and shaft. Great deal, not a railgun. as stated rails can be just too small for this area
NHManontheMountain is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-31-2012, 05:56 PM   #9
Mingo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evensplit View Post
Generally the railguns are considered too light duty for our local area. They are very accurate and fast, but the shafts are usually considered too thin to hold up to the larger snapper, grouper, cobia, and AJ's that we shoot here. Most serious spear fishermen would wind up with a pretzel pretty quickly.
I respectfully disagree, as do the 50+pound amberjacks I've skewered with my Mako Oceanic. My shaft usually goes completely through snapper under 12-13 pounds if I'm double banded.

The real reason people don't like railguns is because they're hard to wrap/reload, and it's harder to pull the bands back. Like ridiculously harder than a wood gun. Once you flatten out the learning curve, it's a different story, but it takes patience to get to a point that you can easily load a railgun. Having a mentor would probably help, but I had to rely on my own hardheadedness, and some trial, and a whole lot of error.
El Kabong is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-31-2012, 07:47 PM   #10
Snapper

lol interesting. maybe i'll try one out one day.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pensacola Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
How Did You Find Us?
Tell us how you heard about Pensacola Fishing Forum.

Log-in