Powerheads? Bangstick? - Pensacola Fishing Forum

Go Back   Pensacola Fishing Forum > Scuba Forums > Gear Reviews and Q&A

Old 06-24-2009, 10:59 AM   #1
Cigar Minnow

Default Powerheads? Bangstick?

I have been spearfishing a bunch here recently and each time sharks have literally swarmed all over us. We didn't give up our fish but I would like to get a powerhead or bangstick. I do not know much about either. When I search for it I get this thing for an aquarium. So my questionsare which one should I get and what works better?
CrazyPFD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-24-2009, 12:30 PM   #2
Blue Marlin

Default RE: Powerheads? Bangstick?

http://www.beco-products.com/beco_catalog.htm
Orion45 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-24-2009, 03:32 PM   #3
Trigger

i've been carrying a biller 357 mag powerhead that is threaded to go on my spearshaft. i can vouch that it shoots and it sure is comforting to have. i have it on an aluminum pole spear and it will go off just jabbing it against something like an aj. go get one.
seanmclemore is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-24-2009, 03:38 PM   #4
White Marlin

Quote:
seanmclemore (6/24/2009)i've been carrying a biller 357 mag powerhead that is threaded to go on my spearshaft. i can vouch that it shoots and it sure is comforting to have. i have it on an aluminum pole spear and it will go off just jabbing it against something like an aj. go get one.
do you dive with the pole spear at all times and just keep it on "safety" and break it out when you need it or do you just carry it down when you know sharks are in the area.
Old 06-24-2009, 05:11 PM   #5
Mingo

My buddy hasa .45 cal mounted on a 3' shaft. I was the one carrying it the day we came across an 8-10' bull shark that was focused on us and could care less about the fish we had shot. It was right then that I realized that the length of thebang stickwas much more important to me than the size of the "bang". As aggressive as that shark was I began to doubt if I could hit him before he hit me. Fortunately we were able to avoid that show down. I have never been in the water when one was actually used but I have heard from others that a .45cal going off under water will hurt your ears. Others with experience might be able to point you towards a caliber that might be a "best" choice.
Daydreamin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-24-2009, 10:03 PM   #6
Cigar Minnow

Is it ok for me to go down with the polespear, with a normal spearhead and carry the powerhead in my pocket unloaded of corse? I really don't want to go down there with a speargun and polegun. My experience with sharks so far, they come in close to what I am spearing, and glide in and out of my area. My thought is at that time, I would be putting my powerhead on. Any ideas or thoughts?

Also would the 12 guage be an ok one to get?
Old 06-25-2009, 09:36 AM   #7
Blue Marlin

Quote:
CrazyPFD (6/24/2009)Is it ok for me to go down with the polespear, with a normal spearhead and carry the powerhead in my pocket unloaded of corse? I really don't want to go down there with a speargun and polegun. My experience with sharks so far, they come in close to what I am spearing, and glide in and out of my area. My thought is at that time, I would be putting my powerhead on. Any ideas or thoughts?

Also would the 12 guage be an ok one to get?
I would not want to be the one firing a 12 ga under water or be anywhere close for that matter. Tooloud.Beco hasmodels that attachover the tip of your spear so you can firethem using your speargun (as if you were spearing the fish). What actually kills the fish is the gas expansion and not the bullet.

http://www.beco-products.com/beco_223_powerhead.htm

http://www.beco-products.com/beco_44mag_powerhead.htm

http://www.beco-products.com/beco_12ga_powerhead.htm

All said, I personally opted to buy a Shark Shield (Freedom 7) instead of a bang stick. I use it when spearfishing and never think about sharks. The sharks try to approach but don't get any closer than 10-15 feet. The Shark Shield is expensive but I don't worry about spearfishing in bad visibility or ascending through murky waters, by myself, and carrying bloody fish on my stringer. Here's the link to the Shark Shield website:

http://www.sharkshield.com/Content/Home/

PM me ifyou have any questions about my experiences with the Shark Shield. Just so you know, I'm only a user and not a dealer/retailer.
Orion45 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-25-2009, 09:40 AM   #8
Grouper

i've got a 357, but shoot 38's in it. not too loud and does the trick. they all will make you jump underwater when they go off, but it's not that bad.
BuckWild is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-12-2009, 10:14 PM   #9
Cigar Minnow

Thank you very much for this info. I think I will be getting the .357 powerhead. I already have ammo for that.
Old 03-23-2010, 10:58 PM   #10
Mingo

Just incase you were interested, there is a guy (shaftslinger) on Sperfishingplanet.com selling slip on powerheads for .357 and .223 for $17.00. I am not a spokesperson, nor do I get anything for advertising. Just passing the word around.
timekiller is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pensacola Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
How Did You Find Us?
Tell us how you heard about Pensacola Fishing Forum.

Log-in