Nitrox Vs Air? - Pensacola Fishing Forum

Go Back   Pensacola Fishing Forum > Scuba Forums > Gear Reviews and Q&A

Old 04-13-2011, 10:36 AM   #1
White Marlin

Default Nitrox Vs Air?

I am NITROX certified but have not used it yet. My question is: is NITROX really that much better then air? Reason I ask is fill prices. $7-8 for air $11-12 for EAN. You can have 2 air fills to 1 EAN fill. Sorry maybe a dumb question but I'm still a diving greenhorn!
marmidor is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-13-2011, 10:50 AM   #2
Sailfish

yep. do it!

Since you're talking about fills, I'm guessing you have your own tanks?
MBT usually has a big Spring sale every year and they sell the fill cards "buy 2 get 1 free" during the sale. Stock up on fills for the whole year at a discounted rate.
FelixH is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-13-2011, 12:52 PM   #3
White Marlin

Thank you Felix I will go ahead and get me a fill card or two. I have an air card with several fills left on it so I may just use it up an move on to a NITROX card!
marmidor is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-13-2011, 01:04 PM   #4
Grouper

Default Go nitrox

I'll second felix, when you study the physilogical effects of gases disolved in your body, it is a no brainer, higher ppo2, therefore less nitrogen(the enemy), higher assimilation of the residual nitrogen since less to be eliminated due to the higher ppo2, equals to be less prone to decompression incidents, less fatigue overall, may be worth a few more dollars but what value do you put on your life, might want to talk to your family about it. Overall a better and more clever diving experience. Change is good, it is only my opinion but to all the dinosaurs out there, I would highly recommend them to use it before knocking it down.
It would be smart as well to have 100% o2 on the boat, I would personally gladly take it @ 6mts for five minutes if available.
Safe diving.
ARC 2017 Las Palmas to St Lucia, 45ft Lagoon.

The true peace of god begins at any point a 1000 miles from the nearest land. Joseph Conrad
Frenchy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-13-2011, 01:33 PM   #5
Sailfish

There is a good business case for using nitrox.

This is how I figured it when I was debating whether to get nitrox certified or not:

My cost for a day's diving:
Charter boat fee: $150
Tips: $20
Tank rental (air): $30
-----------------------
Total: $200

Minutes of actual diving:
2 dives at 25 minutes each = 50 minutes

The cost of diving for me per minute is: $200/50 = $4 per minute

Let's say that you gain only 20% bottom-time using nitrox. So instead of 50 minutes of diving, you get 60 minutes. You get 10 extra minutes of diving in. $4 x 10 = $40 value (your costs and bottom-times may vary)

You spent all day getting to the dive site and back. With nitrox you spend the same time traveling and get more time in the water. To me, it's worth a few extra bucks per bottle.

Last edited by WhackUmStackUm; 04-13-2011 at 02:01 PM.
WhackUmStackUm is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-20-2011, 04:51 PM   #6
Grouper

I have used both and can't really tell a difference except the additional bottom time with nitrox. Still 5 bucks a bottle or so is nothing compared to the cost of running the boat out there. I fill at Dive Pros most of the time and I think it is 5 bucks for air and 10 bucks for 32% O2 (which ends up being 31% O2).
DreamWeaver21 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-20-2011, 07:35 PM   #7
Blue Marlin

Is the training different for using nitrox?
SHunter is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-20-2011, 08:49 PM   #8
Grouper

You still need to go through open water class first then you have to take a Nitrox class to learn what you need to know about Nitrox.

You learn new things such as Po2, MOD, and some other formulas that relate to diving nitrox instead of air. It requires no extra dives just a short internet class and then a little time at the shop learning how analyze bottles and they answer your questions.

I highly recommend using nitrox and it's well worth the money. Like Whackum said if you're already paying that much for a charter you should get everything out of it as possible. Now that gas prices are going up you should get all the bottom time possible.

Talk to the guys up at MBT and they'll get you set up with everything if you're interested in the class.

Pierce07 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-05-2011, 10:54 AM   #9
Mingo

Send a message via AIM to Caver2130

Even on dives where you are not seeing a huge bottom time benefit (very shallow dives), nitrox still lessens the amount of nitrogen your body on-gasses. Less nitrogen means less fatigue (not overly noticeable) and more importantly an increased safety margin. While diving is inherently safe, if a potential accident were to occur, I would be MUCH more comfortable diving with Nitrox.

These days Nitrox can be effectively taught either online or via a short classroom session. The benefits are well worth the small amount of money and time you will invest. With WhackUmStackUm's math, you see that it is an investment that will pay for itself quickly.
Caver2130 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-05-2011, 11:04 AM   #10
Jiggin Finatic
Grand Slam

I've been diving since 1970 and I am here to tell you that it is well worth the added cost. The reason you dive is for bottom time. Nitrox extends that and makes you feel better after the dive as well. You are loading up nitrogen less because you actually have less of it in the bottle. It is safer as long as you don't dive stupid. I personally would not go back to air at all.
lobsterman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pensacola Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
How Did You Find Us?
Tell us how you heard about Pensacola Fishing Forum.

Log-in