New To SCUBA and forum - Pensacola Fishing Forum

Go Back   Pensacola Fishing Forum > Scuba Forums > Gear Reviews and Q&A

Old 01-24-2012, 11:13 AM   #1
She's got
Ruby Red Lip

Post New To SCUBA and forum

Hello PFF! I am new to the forum but have lived in Pensacola for the last 9 years and am currently taking the class to get open water SCUBA certified through MBT dive shop. The guys at the shop have been super helpful in answering my questions, but i was hoping to glean some insight from the seemingly vast experience of this forum.
I need to buy a mask and a set of fins for SCUBA diving and was hoping for some advice on choosing good gear. I have tried on several masks and I like the fit and feel of the Tilos low volume frameless mask, I was wondering if anyone has had experience with this mask and can tell me if this is a good choice.
Also I was hoping to get suggestions for fins. I am a very strong swimmer (swam competitively for 8 of my 19 years alive) so I can handle currents and such but I would still like a decent pair of fins. The problem is that I am a broke college student and therefore my fins budget is pretty low. Like $50 or less. I have been browsing the for sale board looking at fins but I have no idea what im looking for. Any suggestions on type of fin or a specific model would be much appreciated so that I know what to look out for.

Thank You in advance for your help.

Trey_M
Trey_M is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-24-2012, 11:34 AM   #2
Trigger

First off, good call going to MBT! Keep asking questions, because they will be able to get you want you need/want. On masks, they only sell high quality dive gear. Any mask they sell will be a good one, but the best one is the one that fits you best and feels good on your face. Tilos is a good mask. On fins, get what you can, but start saving for split fins. The Atomic splits are the best you can get. Im sure there will be 50 other people that will comment on here about how awesome they are, and if that doesnt prove that they are, I dont know what will. The (i think they are aires) mako fins they sell are good for the money, and will get you where you need to go, but the split fins are so much easier on you. You will expell less energy while getting more power from each kick. Jim, Fritz, Chuck, Chris, and Mercedes wont steer you wrong, and more than one of them are up at the shop every day!
OnGrade is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-24-2012, 11:44 AM   #3
She's got
Ruby Red Lip

Thanks for the advice! I did get the feeling that they guys at MBT are pretty knowledgeable and they were very helpful. Its good to hear that confirmed. I look forward to getting more involved with this sport and I really appreciate the response!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-24-2012, 12:31 PM   #4
Blue Marlin

What Jordan said. Your already on the right path with MBT, real good shop. Wish I could say the same for teh guys there...ha ha...just kidding.

Atomic split fins rock. But yes, pricy. If your a real strong swimmer with a powerful kickthere are a few people who do not like the splits, and want a stiffer fin. If you do and want a really low cost pair, I have 2 or 3 pairs of scubapro jet fins. Stiff and powerful, tire most people out. Navy seal type fins. They are all size large though, not extra large. Will sell ya a pair if you want for $20.

Here's some good reads on this forum that will entertain you, and answer a lot of your questions. The threads on spearfishing, even if your not getting into that yet, still have a lot of good advice (opinions) on gear.

First, this thread, which you may already know about. Always a good time.

https://www.pensacolafishingforum.com...le-mbt-107395/

Then this thread, good advice for meeting other divers, and getting out on there boats with them to go diving. You should try to stop by on a Wednesday night.

https://www.pensacolafishingforum.com...ishing-106564/

Then this thread, with lots and lots of discussion about fins, and other gear choices.

https://www.pensacolafishingforum.com...106472/index2/

Then this thread, mostly info about spearfishing, but some wetsuit advice.

https://www.pensacolafishingforum.com...106257/index3/

And this thread, all spearfishing related. But if you like diving, like hunting, like fishing, and klike guns, you will be spearfishing. Trust me.

https://www.pensacolafishingforum.com...101713/index4/

And finally this one, mostly about spearguns.

https://www.pensacolafishingforum.com...-27418/index4/

Those are just recent from the last couple weeks. If you go on each of the indivudual scuba forums and scroll thru looking at old threads, you will find info and an answer (opinion...ha ha) on just about anything.

And you will find most people recommending MBT. The other 2 shops in Pcola are great too and absolutely nothing wrong with them, but MBT ends up being the choice of a lot of peeps.

Hope to meet you, and welcome to the forum!
Old 01-24-2012, 01:41 PM   #5
stonecoldshooter
Sailfish

If you can fit into the large jet fins that clay-doh is offering, I would highly recommend them. I have a strong cardio and don't tire very easy while diving. I will only dive jet fins. They are a good workout but powerful fins. $20 is a heck of a deal. I have no experience with the mask you are asking about. Mask needs to fit your face good and make a good seal. I prefer the lowset volume mask possible. Low volume means less drag when you turn your head underwater.

Good luck with diving. You chose a great shop for all your diving needs. Dive safe.

Be careful with spearfishing. It's not a sport... it's an addiction!
Old 01-24-2012, 02:02 PM   #6
She's got
Ruby Red Lip

Clay-doh:I really appreciate the information! I will definately be reading all of these threads! Looking at the sizing chart i am a size 10 boot and I think I will need an XL for the jet fins but I really appreciate the offer! (if they fit a size 10 boot then please let me know!) I am very interested in spearfishing and the seminar on the 10th sounds very helpful, hopefully i will see you there!

SaltAddict:I am very excited to start this addiction!

To all:
The jet fins do look like great fins and i will look for some that will fit! Thank you for your help I am only a couple days in on this forum and i feel very welcome!
Old 01-24-2012, 10:59 PM   #7
Ruby Red Lip

I dont know where you go to school, but If its UWF, they have a scuba club. The club may really help offset some of the cost associated with diving.
Welchy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-25-2012, 04:06 AM   #8
Mingo

The Tilos low volume mask is great. Easy to clear and wide viewing spectrum. But most important the mask must fit you. A mask that doesn't fit and constantly leaks makes for a miserable dive.
jamesw21 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-25-2012, 02:12 PM   #9
Sailfish

Quote:
I dont know where you go to school, but If its UWF, they have a scuba club. The club may really help offset some of the cost associated with diving.
+1, pm me if you are a UWF student. It is an excellent program and a great group of people to dive with.
aquatic argobull is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-25-2012, 03:14 PM   #10
She's got
Ruby Red Lip

I am not a student at UWF, I go to PSC. But I would love to meet some other students who dive even if the cost is extra for a non UWF student.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pensacola Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
How Did You Find Us?
Tell us how you heard about Pensacola Fishing Forum.

Log-in