Me again. What would you buy - Pensacola Fishing Forum

Go Back   Pensacola Fishing Forum > Scuba Forums > Gear Reviews and Q&A

Old 07-15-2008, 11:23 PM   #1
Trigger

Default Me again. What would you buy

We need a few more things before we venture out on our own. Looking for advice one a direction to look in for several item we need.

Safety items: Diver Alert signal, Safety sausage, Knives, Scissors and an O2 system for the boat.

Otheritems: Gloves for women and men, Scuba flashlights

And my most important: spear pole and speargun, and anything we might need to harvest lobsters when the season comes in.

The ReelDuel should be ready for the Gulf soon. Finishing my 10 year maintenance. New control cables, scuppers, bow roller and routine things like regrease the wheel bearings test everything. Did a run on the river a couple weeks ago after impeller change and the motor is working fine.

Lets go Killing
ReelDuel is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-16-2008, 05:58 AM   #2
Sailfish

Default RE: Me again. What would you buy

MBT's having a sale this weekend along with the Guns and Hoses spearfishing tournament. Everything in the store will be at least 20% off.

We'll be happy to run through the options with you on all of your needs, especially the polespears and guns:toast.

Jim Phillips
Lost Bay Designs™
Custom Screen Printing
Vinyl Graphics
Promotional Products
www.lostbaydesigns.com
Evensplit is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-16-2008, 11:23 AM   #3
Blue Marlin

Hey Fred, sorry I didnt get back with you yesterday.

My biggest recomendation on gloves, wether spearfishing or not, would be Riffe gloves. They are very thin and good dexterity instead of like thick neoprene gloves, but somehow keep your hands warm, even in the winter. I used mine all thru the winter and my hands never got cold, exept when diving for oysters in the bay, wich is at least 10 degrees colder than the gulf.

But they have a Kevlar palm, and do not tear up. You can grab onto barnacle covered rails, sharp fish scales, ect. They are great!

Safety sausage, I think they are all the same. Get a little storm whistle to clip to it too.

Spearguns, after much talk hear on the forum wood is best, and for beginners, to pros, a great, all around, well priced, easy to use gun, is the AB Biller. As far as length, as long as you can handle and still reach the bands to comfotably load it underwater.

I know a few people bought some at MBT's last sale, and I was shocked at the prices.

When you come in Labor day, welll get out this time, you and your wife!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-21-2008, 01:33 AM   #4
Trigger

Sorry MBT just figured you were busy
Old 07-21-2008, 05:18 AM   #5
Trigger

Actually, MBT has replied in this post. Member "Evensplit" above is one of the owner/operators. Keep in mind the spearfishing tournament that occured this weekend. I highly recommend going to the store. Of all the stuff I saw above, I can assure you they have it all. They have a few brands of speargun available; the best being the Riffe. Of course, that's just my opinion, there are JBL and Biller guys that will disagree. Hold a Riffe and you'll likely buy it. Super quiet, sleek and powerful, Riffe Rocks! Oh, btw, get the Riffe speargun! Riffe makes the best, most comfortable, and durable set of gloves I've ever seen; they are also available at MBT.

Did I mention they sell Riffe Spearguns?
theangrydolphin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-21-2008, 06:30 AM   #6
Sailfish

MBT had several models of Sea Hornet spearguns in stock when I was there Thursday night, in addition to their normal stock of Billers and Riffes.

With all the different sizes, models, and options, it would be difficult to pick one without checking them out in person. If it's not too far out of your way, just stop by sometime.

I imagine with the tourney going on this weekend, they probably haven't spent much time checking email in the past week.
FelixH is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-22-2008, 01:01 AM   #7
Trigger

Evensplit responded today. As I had figured they are still recovering form the "Hunt" this past weekend. I would love to be able to stop by but I live a few hours away. So I try to find the thing I need to dive etc from dealers on the coast. My LDS has big problems with this but if something has a problem I am not going home to get them fixed. I have liked MBT andowners who helped me out with a wetsuit for the wife. I will be ordering the riffe tomorrow.

What spear tip would you get with this gun (Riffe C3XS )? Also how about the coated SS line insted of Mono line?? How mant feet is 2 wraps? I almost went with the C2xs but heck I figure I can load it after loading a C4xs tonight.

Going to order in the AM
Old 07-22-2008, 02:03 AM   #8
Blue Marlin

Hey Fred! If you are going to be around some serios barnacles, go ahead with the SS. Otherwise, the mono will do you good for most everything. I think it is like 400 pound test, pretty tuff stuff.

Make sure you order 6mm threads on the shaft, so all JBL and Biller tips will fit it too. And get a rotating tip (Riffe doesnt make them) with the 4" wingspan, not the little 3" wingspan.

More on that later. Ill talk to you later this week when things settle down about tips, and secret sause recipes.

And good choice with ther number 3! Thats what I got! I would order it with the 5/8th inch thicker bands, you can always load just 2, or 1 if you want. But 3 of those thick bands on the back tab make for serious firepower.

And the 48" shaft is the next size smaller shaft, that wil fit a number 3, with out 10" of shaft overhang.

Just my opinion, which dont mean much.

Lookin foward to shootin with ya!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pensacola Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
How Did You Find Us?
Tell us how you heard about Pensacola Fishing Forum.

Log-in