looking for new gear - Pensacola Fishing Forum

Go Back   Pensacola Fishing Forum > Scuba Forums > Gear Reviews and Q&A

Old 04-27-2008, 10:07 AM   #1
Trigger

Default looking for new gear

hi i got certified a year ago in egypt. now i think about buying my one gear bacause renting gets expencive. i know that i have to spend some money and i dont want to get cheap crap. you know how it goes i found alot of stuff on ebay. so what do you guys think about something like that http://cgi.ebay.com/Mares-Kaila-BCD-...QQcmdZViewItem? does mbt sell packages too?

ferdinand
rauber is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-27-2008, 11:07 AM   #2
Sailfish

Default RE: looking for new gear

Yep, I'm pretty sure any of the local shops will put together a package for you and even let you choose the items in the package. MBT is the shop I choose to use.

I don't mind occasionally buying little things online... flashlights, knives, etc., but when it comes to the items that keep me alive (BC, regs, computer), I will only buy local. If something goes wrong with one of those items, I want to be able to carry it back to the place I bought it.

If you can, try out different styles of BCs before buying. You've probably already used a jacket style, but also try out a back-inflate BC and try a backplate/wing rig also. Every style has advantages and disadvantages, and personal fit, comfort, and the type of diving you do will affect which style is best for you.

Felix
FelixH is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-27-2008, 12:55 PM   #3
Trigger

I'll secnd what Felix said.

If I'm not mistaken Rauber, you come into town from Europe during the summer, right?

If that's the case, drop by MBT's new location (300yds east of the old location) on Barrancas. They will put together what you need and probably haveat least a bunchof everything you can try out before you buy. They won't disappont you.

One last thing is that you have a face to face person helping you out during the sale and if something should not perform as advertised (heaven forbid and is not likely to happen), you aren't dealing with a faceless string of emails to get it fixed or replaced.

Good luck to you!!!!!!!!!
theangrydolphin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-27-2008, 04:14 PM   #4
Trigger

hey thaks for the replies.

yes im from germany and will stay all summer to deckhand in destin like last year.

i got certified almost 1 1/2 years ago so ill do guided tours first anyway. you re right about the local shops. i think ill go down there the first week after i arrive and book some trips and get my stuff there. i wanted to do it last year but didnt have any time because i got a job on a boat right away. do you have any idea about the shops in destin? more expensive?
rauber is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-27-2008, 04:36 PM   #5
Grouper

as you can probally tell most of the guys that dive are regulars at MBT not sure about the destin area but can say for sure that MBT has aprox 5 different packages that you can choose from as far as the package that you showed off ebay, someone corect me if im wrong but you can no longer get parts for the regs that were in that packageand on ebay you can never be sure as to what you are geting. and i must agree spare no expense on life support equipment regs, bc, computer i would only buy from an authorized dealer so that all waranties are still intact and so that the equipment you purchase can also be serviced.i personally dive a Dive Rite backplate wing and harness, atomic m1 regs and a nitek duo computer and i am very impressed with all the gear i have purchased from mbt.
JOHNJOHN205 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-29-2008, 07:35 AM   #6
Grouper

Send a message via MSN to bmoore

Hey this is a pretty good shop in the Destin area:

http://www.scubatechnwfl.com/

Been in there a couple of times before.

Bay Breeze has some decent stuff as well at the foot of the 3 mile bridge.

I'll buy used equipement including regulators off ebay but only if they are Scuba Pro. I am most familiar with them and can rebuild them myself. (Used to be the service technician in a dive shop back in the 80's-90's and that was the brand we carried.)

I bought my back plate and wing from MBT a couple of years ago. The thing I would be leary of is buying electronics such as computers online..especially used. However I have done it but only for backups, never a primary computer,and made sure there was a return policy.
bmoore is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-02-2008, 01:46 AM   #7
Sailfish

Yeah Bay Breeze is great if you want to get treated like shit and not get any help. You may even get entertained during your endless wait for assistance by the staff BSing and laughing about their previous customers. Hey you might even get lucky enough to be on the list of people they talk shit about later. Do yourself a favor and go to MBT. I bet once you go there you will stick with them. They know more about diving around here than anyone else. They will hook you up and I am pretty sure they will beat any local shops prices.

I went to Bay Breeze and it was a horrible experiance!!! I will NEVER go back. They have the perfect location for a dive shop but they are doing it all wrong. They have screwed everyone I know at one point or another. Almost killed some people too.

MBT is THE dive shop for Pensacola

I dont work there nore am I friends with anyone that does but I have been diving here for a few years. I have been to all the shops. There is a reason for MBT's loyal customers.
Old 05-02-2008, 09:12 AM   #8
Praedator
Grand Slam

Ok Children, Play Nice.:grouphug
Telum Pisces is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-02-2008, 09:40 AM   #9
Grouper

Send a message via MSN to bmoore

Nahh let em fight it out!

Sniper had an unfortunate experience at Bay Breeze. Sniper I would use that to my advantage and talk to Carlos and let him make it up. He might even give you a great deal on something. Give em a second chance. Are you married? LOL bet you asked fora second chance before?!oke

Ha, if I was never given a second chance !...(or a third, fourth etc).I would probbably be divorced and dead! Never burn bridges except in open warfare and this "aint it"

Any way, I am friends with Carlos, Fritz, Gene, Eileen and Gary,Kevin Freeland (who I have known and worked with years ago). I make it a point to get to know these shop owners and become thier friends. I have had disagreements with these shop owners plenty of times but always try to let things calm down and work it out..which it always does. This is in everyone's best interest.

Never had a bad experience with Bay Breeze, MBT ,Scuba Shack or Dive Pros and will frequent all of em every chance I get.
bmoore is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-02-2008, 09:52 AM   #10
Sailfish

I was wrong if I didnt include Scuba shack in the great dive shops around here. They have always treated me with respect when i have been there and they are very knowledgable.

My experiance with Bay Breeze was bad. When something like that happens, you let people know. It's called a reputaion. If you went out to eat and waited an hour to be served while you watched the wait staff hanging out joking around. Would you go back to see if they had a burger on sale? Would you tell your friends to go? Nope. Bet if you heard the name come up you would tell people about your experiance so they didnt have to suffer too.

If things have changed at Bay Breeze, good. They needed to. It is a perfect location for a dive shop. To waste that location on a business that cares nothing about customer satisfaction would be a shame. I have spoke to others that have been there recently and from what I understand, not much hs changed since I have been there.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pensacola Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
How Did You Find Us?
Tell us how you heard about Pensacola Fishing Forum.

Log-in