I NEED MY OWN GEAR! - Pensacola Fishing Forum

Go Back   Pensacola Fishing Forum > Scuba Forums > Gear Reviews and Q&A

Old 05-14-2008, 03:30 PM   #1
Cigar Minnow

Default I NEED MY OWN GEAR!

Hey yall,

I went diving this weekend and had some problems with my gear. It was borrowed equipment and it was suggested I look into buying my own.

I know I will need to try on a mask and fins and I can handle that, but I need some help with the regulator, bc and tanks (if any).

Any suggestions? I need to stay on a college students budget, however I am getting a few dollars back from this economic stimulus rebate.

Any help would be appreciated!
lik(e)it_on_the_bottom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-14-2008, 03:41 PM   #2
Praedator
Grand Slam

Default RE: I NEED MY OWN GEAR!

If you can't stomach the price of new gear, keep an eye on craigslist/ebay.You just first need to makesure that the cost of having the gear servicedplus the purchase price is still a good deal. And check with the local shops to make sure what you are looking at is still servicable with parts that are still available etc... Myregswere hand me downs and my BC was bought used on Craigslist locally. I got my snorkle gear at the local shops. You are right, if you want to dive more than 3-5 times a year you need your own gear.I have about $2500 worth of gear that I only paid maybe $700 or so through deals I found locally etc... Here is a search I did on Craigslist for dive/scubagear.

http://pensacola.craigslist.org/sear...amp;maxAsk=max

http://pensacola.craigslist.org/sear...amp;maxAsk=max

As far as what brands of gear to stick to, I am not sure on that one. I am not a person that sticks to one brand of gear or the other. My regs are Sheerwood, My BC is Zeagle, Fins are scuba pro, mask is atomic, gloves/booties are Pinnacle. So I am a patchwork of brands, but it does the job.

I love my Zeagle Escape BC. It's minimal and that's what I like. I can't stand the BC's that have a bazillion pockets and stuff crowded on there. Stick with the back inflate BC's. Or at least try one out to make sure you like it. But most say they like the back inflate/wing styleBC's more.

Telum Pisces is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-14-2008, 04:01 PM   #3
Sailfish

As Jon said, used gear is an option if you're on a tight budget. That's what I did initially. I bought new mask, fins, snorkel, wetsuit, boots, and gloves from a local shop. Then, after certification, I bought a used BC, set of regs, and weightbelt.

The used gear has served me very well, but I have started to replace some of it. With all the dives I've made over the past few years, I definitely came out better than if I'd had to rent gear all that time. I just replaced the BC (it was showing some wear and tear) with a Hollis backplate system.

Before diving any used gear find a local shop that you trust, and let them inspect the gear. If buying used gear locally, try to bring it to a shop before buying it. They can tell you if it's in good condition and safe to use.
FelixH is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-14-2008, 04:18 PM   #4
Grouper

If your on a budget, try some things on in a shop, then look for deals on ebay. Lots of slightly used equipment on there. If you pick and choose you can save a lot of $$$ on the regs and BC! Mask, fins, wetsuit, etc..should bebought local. The cash you save on the bc and regs will pay for the other things.
BuckWild is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-14-2008, 04:33 PM   #5
Snapper

Another option is to check w/local shops and see if anyone is upgrading or selling their used gear. Divers, especially Dive Instructors and Dive Masters are always upgrading or selling stuff they "acquire" and sometimes they know of former students that never really got the bug and will sell you gear at a fraction of the cost w/out the Internet gamble. Hope you get hooked up soon 'cause this time of the year is perfect for gearing up!
BADBOY69 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-14-2008, 08:09 PM   #6
Grouper

I agree with what Knot A Yacht said, keep an eye out on craigslist, but don't limit your search to the panhandle area. Think of other coastal locations in FL and check them out too, you might need to get something shipped to you or drive to pick it up, but you can get some really good deals. I was talking to bmoore about this recently, he has the system down. If you find something you are interested it, check out some online dive stores that post reviews about gear and see if you can find out what other people think, then have it checked out by your dive shop. I got my gear when I was on Guam at the shops inventory sale, at a GREATLY reduced price, those are always a good place to start too. Getting your own gear is definately the way to go if you are going to be diving regularly, it's only a matter of time before you start using duct tape and plumbers epoxy on it anyways if you're wrestling fish outta wrecks, just get whats good for you...AND your budget.
flyingfishr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-14-2008, 09:09 PM   #7
Blue Marlin

You just had to make the plumbers epoxy remark...huh Josh????:moon

It has worked for over 80 dives so far..and I am still here!:letsdrink
Old 05-14-2008, 10:29 PM   #8
Sailfish

Be very careful if you're looking at used gear. There are some great deals to be found, but you have to know what you're looking at. Try to get the owner to let you bring it by a shop to be checked out before you buy. We (MBT) will check it out for free and let you know if it's a deal or not, and give you an estimate if it needs work. If you can't bring it in, we'll be happy to give you a best guess based on pics, descriptions etc., and we'll help you ask the right questions.

Sometimes new can be cheaper than used in the long run.We've got a student special package with weight integrated BC and reg setup for $599.00.

Jim

MBT Divers - 3920 Barrancas Ave - (850) 455-7702

www.mbtdivers.com

Jim Phillips
Lost Bay Designs™
Custom Screen Printing
Vinyl Graphics
Promotional Products
www.lostbaydesigns.com
Evensplit is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-14-2008, 11:46 PM   #9
Mingo

Quote:
BuckWild (5/14/2008)If your on a budget, try some things on in a shop, then look for deals on ebay. Lots of slightly used equipment on there. If you pick and choose you can save a lot of $$$ on the regs and BC! Mask, fins, wetsuit, etc..should bebought local. The cash you save on the bc and regs will pay for the other things.

Not the best way to make friends with your local shop. IMHO you're life support (BC and regulators) should all be bought locally so that you know they are fully functional and safe, come with a warranty and have a place to be serviced. But if you really can only afford used gear it is important that you get it checked out by someone who knows what they are doing, most shops will do this for you for free. The best thing is to buy from someone who you know takes care of there stuff and has some knowledge of repairing it.

CurtyV22 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-14-2008, 11:51 PM   #10
Grouper

Quote:
Clay-Doh (5/14/2008)You just had to make the plumbers epoxy remark...huh Josh????:moon

It has worked for over 80 dives so far..and I am still here!:letsdrink
Clay my friend, you are a pioneer in SCUBA gear maintenance, I dive humbly in your presence! Time for another drink!:letsdrink
flyingfishr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pensacola Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
How Did You Find Us?
Tell us how you heard about Pensacola Fishing Forum.

Log-in