fin selection - Pensacola Fishing Forum

Go Back   Pensacola Fishing Forum > Scuba Forums > Gear Reviews and Q&A

Old 04-27-2008, 08:54 PM   #1
Trigger

Default fin selection

split fin or not. what would you buy and why. I am a big guy with strong legs and my wife is small so what are the pros and cons to fins? Thanks
ReelDuel is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-27-2008, 09:00 PM   #2
Sailfish

Default RE: fin selection

I haven't tried splits, but they say you get more thrust with less effort.
FelixH is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-27-2008, 09:03 PM   #3
Jiggin Finatic
Grand Slam

All though the old scuba pro jet fins were designed in the late 60's they are still one of the strongest fins on the market. However you will need strong legs to opperate for any length of time. I have settled down to the Atomic split fins for ease of use, no leg cramping.
II Chronicles 7:14
if My people who are called by My name will humble themselves, and pray and seek My face, and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin and heal their land.

lobsterman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-27-2008, 09:21 PM   #4
White Marlin

i myself dont like split fins, but that is just my own opinion.
Old 04-28-2008, 08:23 AM   #5
Trigger

ask evensplit he helped me pick mine out. he can explain it all very easily.
matthewy8 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-28-2008, 08:39 AM   #6
Praedator
Grand Slam

For spearfishing, I do not like split fins. For regualar moving about looking at wrecks, I like split fins. Split fins technically give you more thrust with less effort, but still do not give you more thrust if you have the leg power to move a regualar fin. I have had to give chase of a fish sometimes when split fins would have not give me the thrust I needed to track it down before it disappeared.
Telum Pisces is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-28-2008, 09:51 AM   #7
Sailfish

Ah, the split fin discussion has made it to the home front...:letsdrink

First of all,all split fins are not created equal. The Atomics and the Apollo's were the first true designed from the start split fins, and most of the rest are loose copies of them. Seeing the amazing popularity in the new design, some companies took existing fins and put a split in them and called them split fins (these are the models you see for $99).They don't work, and some of them are so bad that it's funny -unless you're the one that paid $99 for them.

Split fins require a slightly different kick - not as wide as you use with traditional fins. You can use the same old kick you've been using, and they'll work fine, but to really get the full performance out of them you've got to modify it a bit.

Split fins take some getting used to because they provide little feedback - they create little resistance on the kick, and to those that have been using traditional blade style fins (especially rockets or jets) it feels like they're not getting any power from them. This is why most of the scoffers say they don't like them.."they don't have any power"...

The true split fins (atomic and apollo)provide excellent speed and power. I've used them for many years now, in all situations, and have not wished for anything else. Whether towing rescue students through the surf, kicking upcurrent in rivers, pulling a boat to shore, or trying to catch the AJ that swam off with the stringer, they've provided the speed and power I've needed.

There are a few Tech divers thatdon't like them while wearingdoubles because they're more difficult to frog kick and scull with, but there are some that say they're fine - I don't dotech dives, so I'll have to trust their call.

Leg cramps, and sore knees and ankles are not an issue with split fins - the lack of resistance makes the split much more forgiving on the body - so much so that the Navyhas beenevaluating them for use by spec ops and rescue swimmers.

If you'd like to try a pair of Atomic Splits, come on by the shop next time you're headed out, you cantry mine.

Jim Phillips
Lost Bay Designs™
Custom Screen Printing
Vinyl Graphics
Promotional Products
www.lostbaydesigns.com
Evensplit is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-28-2008, 10:03 AM   #8
Praedator
Grand Slam

Jim,

What is this kick modification that you speak of. Because I am in the crowd that didn't like them because of the lack of thrust when I tried them. Maybe I didn't move my legs to the right music or something.
Telum Pisces is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-28-2008, 12:35 PM   #9
Grouper

the kick modification that Jim is refering to is a shorter versionof the traditional scissor kick with a little more ankle control to it. The traditional scissor kick is a wide sweeping kick (like you are swimming free style). When you are swimming with a good split fin, the side rails of the fin give it the stability, and prevent the fin from over flexing. Good quality split fins should not bend greater than 45 degrees frontto back when kicking, so to get the full power out of the fin when horizontally planed out you should not have to kick any further than the top of you tank to the bottom of your chest roughly.

Atomics website has some really good info on the split fin, i.e. how they work and why. They also have a quicktime video that you can watch on this page that shows you what a split fin looks like when it is kicked.

http://www.atomicaquatics.com/splitfin2.html
spearfisher is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-29-2008, 07:31 AM   #10
Grouper

Send a message via MSN to bmoore

I prefer the scuba pro jet fins.I use the extra large size. I do a bit of cave diving/tech divingand split fins can cause line entanglement and silt outs which we need to avoid.
bmoore is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pensacola Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
How Did You Find Us?
Tell us how you heard about Pensacola Fishing Forum.

Log-in