extra HP port - Pensacola Fishing Forum

Go Back   Pensacola Fishing Forum > Scuba Forums > Gear Reviews and Q&A

Old 01-16-2012, 01:28 PM   #1
Trigger

Default extra HP port

I recently went to Grand Cayman and on first dive the transducer for the Oceanic computer failed to register the tank pressure... everything worked prior to travel. soooo here is the situation... older Scubapro reg, only 1 HP port, is there any down side to adding a "T" so a backup pressure gauge can be added. I understand more fittings, and more threaded connections, i do have access to high quality stainless fittings...
Sailorboy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-16-2012, 03:05 PM   #2
Grand Slam

I would be careful adding Ts and stuff for the simple reason that if you just bump into something you might break a T that sticks out off and then you got a high pressure high volumn leak. HP hoses have a tiny hole so if they rupture away from the fitting they will leak but not through a 1/4" hole and give you time to abort the dive and surface. NO don't put a T unless it's made for that purpose of diving with the restriction holes.
sealark is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-16-2012, 05:32 PM   #3
Blue Marlin

Did you get it to work since that dive?

Remove it, check for torn o-ring or some type of blockage, and then install a standard pressure gauge back on and see if you get an accurate pressure reading. If you don't, it is a problem with your scuba pro 1st stage.

If you do get a pressure reading with a standard pressure gauge, then either there is a problem with your transmitter. Or, the battery for some reason may have already failed.

Is it the Oceanic VT3? If so I have the same one and love it. This may sound dumb, but did you turn your tank valve on when checking to see if it worked? And, is your wrist computer on norm mode, and not freedive or a different mode when you tried it, and did you have it close enough to your tank transmitter?

If all the other stuff is correct, you still be under warranty, get it fixed. I have had mine around 3 years with hunreds of dives, and have never had an issue.

Which like I said in another post, I have it mounted to an HP port on the left side of the first stage since I wear my computer on my left wrist.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-01-2012, 06:41 AM   #4
Trigger

spoke w/ the dive shop... and some computers need to be "scrolled" thru all menu options before they fully opperate. I don't recall ever having to do this but it did seem to work... we shall see.. however i am sending in to factory for calibrations and maintaince.
the free-flow danger is a great point... will try to find a fitting w/ a limited flow.
Sailorboy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-01-2012, 09:01 AM   #5
Grand Slam

Forget what I said I just looked at a 1st stage block and the HP port has the restricter hole already incorporated into the fitting. That's on a US Divers Conshelf 1st stage.
sealark is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-25-2012, 08:52 PM   #6
Cigar Minnow

some scuba pro 1st stages have extra hp port, mk25 i have has one in the bottom
jfowler886 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-26-2012, 08:28 AM   #7
Mingo

most high end regs should have 2 HP ports. If it isn't marked HP take the plug off and look at the hole inside....Is it tiny or large? Tiny, then it is an HP port..Just another reason I believe in the KISS system..Less things to go wrong..
markhsaltz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pensacola Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
How Did You Find Us?
Tell us how you heard about Pensacola Fishing Forum.

Log-in