Dive computer - Pensacola Fishing Forum

Go Back   Pensacola Fishing Forum > Scuba Forums > Gear Reviews and Q&A

Old 10-28-2010, 12:13 AM   #1
Trigger

Send a message via AIM to ClemsonTiger11
Default Dive computer

I am looking to purchase a dive computer. Suggestions? I am looking to spend between $500-$800. I kinda wanted one that looked like an actual watch that I could wear as a regular watch. If not, just a good reliable one that has a nitrox option. Any help would be appreciated.
ClemsonTiger11 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-28-2010, 07:42 AM   #2
Snapper

Go over to MBT. They will steer you down the right path and definatley give you the best deal around!! Also, they will always be around to help if you have a problem. I was working out of town and missed one of their big sales, they told me to stop in when I got back and they gave me the computer for the sale price well after the sale ended. Good Luck.

Steve
swander is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-28-2010, 08:06 AM   #3
Videographer
Sailfish

+1 for what SWANDER said.

For my 2 cents - I would steer away from the Watch/dive computer ...too much function packed into a small package.
When I'm diving i would much rather have a computer that has a screen large enough to see in changing conditions, and has just the information I need - to avoid any dangerous confusion..
No Deco Time Remaining
Dive Time
Depth
Assent Rate

Gauge function is a good thing to have as well, but not a dealbreaker.
....MBT Would definately steer you down the righ road.
PS: I acutally wear two computers most of the time so that my day isn't cut short if one of them bites it.
Advertisement

Old 10-28-2010, 11:42 AM   #4
Blue Marlin

I think Scott hit it on the head...trying to see a little watch face with your life saving info on it.....well..I like bigger size numbers!

I got an Oceanic VT3 a lil over 2 years ago...and I love it.

I got it with the air pressure transmitter, so that is one less hose I have. My wrist computer also reads my air pressure, so no dangling gauges or hose.

I have heard a few reports of it not picking up the air pressure signal from the transmitter on the first stage for a few seconds at a time. BUt I have never had a problem. And most those people said that when they moved that it was cause of there position and they had there hand tucked under them or something.

I mounted my transmitter on a hp port on the left side of my st stage, since I where my computer on my left wrist...and like I said...flawless. Even if it lost signal for a few seconds...if a few seconds is going to make or break me on air supply...I should really reevaluate my diving habits!

One of the great things I like about it too...is I can switch between 3 different gas mixes on 1 dive, AND, it goes up to 100% O2 instead of only 40-50% like most.

If you ever start using stage bottles, or use pure 02 at 19 feet too off gas, this computer will do it.

Has the buddy thing too. If your woman or a child dives, and has the same computer, you can check there air pressure too.
Old 10-28-2010, 12:38 PM   #5
Mingo

I agree, MBT will put you on the right path.

I have both a wrist and console mount computer. The problem with the wrist mount is keeping it from getting banged up when looking for lobster or messing with a bigger fish while spear fishing.

Both of my computers are a couple years old, so I won't make any suggestions on what computer is better than the other.
bamaben is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-30-2010, 10:15 PM   #6
Trigger

Send a message via AIM to ClemsonTiger11

I ended up getting a Suunto Vyper Air. Looked like it had all the features I was looking for, plus a digital compass, temperature, and a few different algorithms so I can choose how conservative to be. It also has the option to monitor air pressure wireless if I want. Anyone have or heard about these?
ClemsonTiger11 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-01-2010, 09:38 AM   #7
Blue Marlin

Suuunto is known for making good computers. I have heard from several users they are very conservitive. Dive with someone the same profile who has a different computer to get an idea, and then you will know if you want to "back it off" so to speak if it is to conservative.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pensacola Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
How Did You Find Us?
Tell us how you heard about Pensacola Fishing Forum.

Log-in