Best Diving set... - Pensacola Fishing Forum

Go Back   Pensacola Fishing Forum > Scuba Forums > Gear Reviews and Q&A

Old 01-28-2008, 09:52 AM   #1
Trigger

Default Best Diving set...

I'm about to buy my diving stuff finally. I know the dive shops around town have sets with everything you need. (as in BC, weights, regs, some with tanks) Whats the best deal out of all of them. I am going to be spearfishing alot. Any opinions? im trying to stay semi affordable.
kTkGreenGo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-28-2008, 11:08 AM   #2
Trigger

Default RE: Best Diving set...

All the deals are good, it's all in what you are willing to spend. IMO; if you are plannig lots of spearfishing, go with a good back inflate or plate / wing BC. I prefer back inflate simply because I hate a weight belt. On the regulator; go all out. If you are chasing fish, you want something that breaths easy at all depths and tank pressures. I use the SCUBAPro Mk25/S600, and LOVE it. All the shops carry their brand of good regs and you will find prices for the really good ones not that different from store to store. Computer; do your homework. Lots of different styles and models to choose from. You want something easy to read and not too complicated to use. My main computer is a SCUBAPro / Uwtec Smartcom. Very easy to use and read, but I also have a Genesis React Pro for backup and it has given me very good service. You will get lots of advise in this area. Kind of like asking who makes the best truck or boat. All the manufacturers make very good gear, and most seem to stand behind their products well. On that note, if you decide to go the internet sales route, be fore warned that you don't get the manufacturer warranty from them. Good luck and welcome to the addiction of SCUBA.
SCUBA Junkie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-28-2008, 01:38 PM   #3
Blue Marlin

Congrats Grengo!

Like Junkie said, rear inflate if your going to be engaging in batteling fish. You get so much more mobility, and range of motion than with a back inflate. And of course, I think all new BC's are, go with weight integrated. Weight belts suck!

Lookin foward to shootin fish with ya!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-28-2008, 03:49 PM   #4
Trigger

/yea i want to spend around 1000.... isee online some stores have some deals w/ computers and back inflates for around 1000.... is that possible around the shops?
Old 01-28-2008, 04:29 PM   #5
Jiggin Finatic
Grand Slam

My advise is spend as much as you can afford on the regulator. It is your life line when you are in the underworld. I second Scubapro, I've been diving since 1970 and I love it.
II Chronicles 7:14
if My people who are called by My name will humble themselves, and pray and seek My face, and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin and heal their land.

lobsterman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-28-2008, 04:31 PM   #6
Trigger

A grand will get you a decent BC and reg, but no computer or anything else. I know you want to get everything you need up front, but my advise would be to get a nice reg and computer first. When you can spend some more, get a good BC....and on and on. You can find some nice looking on line deals, but be careful and do your homework before maybe spending hard earned cash on gear you don't like to use. There are "starter" sets out there, but IMO, get gear that will be functional as your skills and ability increase. It's a high up front commitment, but you will be more happy in the long run.
SCUBA Junkie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-28-2008, 05:40 PM   #7
Grouper

Your number one priority is your life support system - regulator and BC. If I were you, I'd go all out on the reg. Scubapro makes the most bulletproof around (JMHO). They've been around for decades - literally - and they know what they're doing. Computer is good, but not a MUST. It does make you a safer diver. BCs come in so many shapes and gizmos and gadgets. I'd go with a basic one and after you've gotten good and comfortable in the water, choose the BC that will fit your needs (plastic vs. stainless D rings, jacket style vs. wings, octo on inflator hose or not........) You can keep the first as a back-up. Redundancy in scuba is a good thing.

We have several different styles of BCs that you could try if you want to come out to the house. We could get you in the pool and let you swim around in them before you go out and buy a new one. That'd at least give you a little education before you buy.

Good luck and welcome to the madness.
rocklobster is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-28-2008, 11:28 PM   #8
Trigger

Thanks guys... I'm not totally new to this game I've done some research and i have been diving for awhile. but the thing is I do spearfish alot... basically all i'll be doing so a back inflate is almost a must.
Old 01-29-2008, 09:48 PM   #9
Trigger

Thanks for the opinions guys does anybody else have any info to spread to me?
Old 01-30-2008, 12:48 AM   #10
Grouper

I got a suggestion. Parker hurry up and get your gear. I need someone to dive with waynes a slacker and always wants to surf.

Pierce07 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pensacola Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
How Did You Find Us?
Tell us how you heard about Pensacola Fishing Forum.

Log-in