Which Air Integrated Dive Computer ?? - Pensacola Fishing Forum

Go Back   Pensacola Fishing Forum > Scuba Forums > Gear Reviews and Q&A

Old 12-24-2015, 11:54 AM   #1
Grouper

Default Which Air Integrated Dive Computer ??

Need one that's easy to read (in my mid 50s), very user friendly (out of the box), good/great customer service, easy to maintain and charge/change batteries, and highly durable/rugged. I dive Air and Nitrox in the GOM, and may be looking into CCR in a few yrs.
What I have recently looked at in AI (transmitter) dive computers are: uwatec (scubapro) Galileo Sol vs Shearwater Petrel dive computers. They both seem to be more than enough for Recreational diving, and both get very good reviews on the above "needs" I'm looking for in a dive computer. Thanks for any/All advice and "words of wisdom" offered in this pursuit.
Fish-n-Fur is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-24-2015, 04:50 PM   #2
Grouper

If you're looking for a good deal on one that meets all your wants, check out Toners "for sale" under dive gear...it's a HECK of a deal with the transmitter included. I think it's an Aeris T3

the Gallieo looks nice but it's pretty pricey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish-n-Fur View Post
Need one that's easy to read (in my mid 50s), very user friendly (out of the box), good/great customer service, easy to maintain and charge/change batteries, and highly durable/rugged. I dive Air and Nitrox in the GOM, and may be looking into CCR in a few yrs.
What I have recently looked at in AI (transmitter) dive computers are: uwatec (scubapro) Galileo Sol vs Shearwater Petrel dive computers. They both seem to be more than enough for Recreational diving, and both get very good reviews on the above "needs" I'm looking for in a dive computer. Thanks for any/All advice and "words of wisdom" offered in this pursuit.
Billybob+ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-26-2015, 12:43 PM   #3
Grouper

Thanks Billybob.
The Aeris T3 is interesting, but i think i'd like a bigger readout and a better online review.
I guess this post would get more feedback in the Spring or Summer when more folks are getting wet and using their gear, but thought this slow season would as well.
Happy Bubbles!

Old 12-26-2015, 08:23 PM   #4
Grouper

I'm old and blind but I can see the Aeris...OK not COMPLETELY blind....but need readers to see ANYTHING close. and I don't have readers in my mask

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish-n-Fur View Post
Thanks Billybob.
The Aeris T3 is interesting, but i think i'd like a bigger readout and a better online review.
I guess this post would get more feedback in the Spring or Summer when more folks are getting wet and using their gear, but thought this slow season would as well.
Happy Bubbles!
Billybob+ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-26-2015, 08:51 PM   #5
stonecoldshooter
Sailfish

I have the petrel and it is top notch. I need readers for just about anything I read. The readout on the petrel is very easy to read. Very easy to set up and user friendly "in dive." It also allows quite a bit of functions "in dive" that are taboo on most computers.
Old 12-27-2015, 05:00 AM   #6
Grouper

My wife and I each got an Oceanic Pro Plus earlier this year. The display is great and easy to use right out of the box. Not sure about customer service or battery replacement - haven't needed either of those. They really seem like great computers.

Good luck!
Chasin' Tales is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-28-2015, 09:02 AM   #7
Grouper

Default Air Integrated Computer

SaltAddict: are you a tech diver, or strictly recreational/spearo? From your description, it sounds like the Petrel would be a winner for me, and I need readers for nearly all near work too. Can you please expand on "allows quite a bit of functions "in dive" that are taboo on most computers" in a little more detail. I'll also visit their website, and others. Thanks much!

Chasin' Tales: thanks for the feedback. The Oceanic Pro Plus has a larger readout, but is a hose integrated dive computer. I'm looking at getting a hoseless Air Integrated (wrist/forearm) computer like the uwatec (scubapro) Galileo Sol, or Shearwater Petrel, or something comparable. My 2nd air is integrated into my BC, and I want my dive computer to be AI (hoseless) in order to eliminate another hose. Thanks bud.
Old 12-28-2015, 09:10 AM   #8
Dive1 Unlimited
Snapper

Oceanic Pro Plus 3
Old 12-28-2015, 09:27 AM   #9
Grouper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dive1 View Post
Oceanic Pro Plus 3
Another hose is not what I'm looking for, read messages above, thanks.

Edit:
Well got to looking around today and Shearwater (SW) has their new Perdix Dive Computer (DC) being released the end of this week. It's the same software as the Petrel 2, but a little smaller profile, a little less weight, more energy conserving (battery lasts longer) than the Petrel, and just as rugged. You can google "Petrel vs Perdix Selling Sheet" if you're interested in more info.
I was also mistaken, none of the SW DCs are Air Integrated (AI)...so I'll wear a pressure gauge hose if i get one.

Still looking and interested in what others might suggest. Happy Bubbles!
jp

Last edited by Fish-n-Fur; 12-28-2015 at 10:51 PM.
Old 12-29-2015, 12:47 PM   #10
stonecoldshooter
Sailfish

I am a tech diver. I will go through Trimix in 2016. I run the petrel on planned deco, as well as "I shot a big damn aj, unplanned deco." I use lithium double AA batteries, and they last quite some time.
You would have to read the operators manual as far as all of the "on the fly, or in dive" functions that you have control over. But to sum it up, most computers are set at the surface, and allow you to scroll through screens "in dive," and that is it. Petrel will allow certain settings to be changed "in dive."
One other great thing about it that I like is, it won't lock out on you. It will always calculate and give you answers. You may not like what it tells you, but it won't lock up and refuse to do its job for "safety" reasons.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pensacola Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
How Did You Find Us?
Tell us how you heard about Pensacola Fishing Forum.

Log-in