What fish do you target? - Pensacola Fishing Forum

Go Back   Pensacola Fishing Forum > Scuba Forums > Spearfishing

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By skram

Old 03-13-2014, 10:47 AM   #1
Grouper

Default What fish do you target?

I was thinking about the Derby Board and saw all the species.
what fish do we really target?

for me it's

Grouper consisting of Gag, Red, Scamp, Warsaw
Snapper consisting of Red, Mangrove, Cuberra, and Lane
Trigger
Amberjack consisting of Greater and Almaco
Flounder
Cobia
Lobster, both Spiney and Shovelnose

I was just thinking, do we need the other categories in the PFF Derby Board?
I know it's late to change but what made me think of it, is I have a fish, Vermillion, currently worth 5 points which is worth just as much as Toners Mondo AJ, or SWD's Mondo Trigger, or Afoggs Mondo Spiney.

yes, I realize I'd be giving up 5 points but should we limit some of the non-targeted species?

and for AA, because he's put so much into this...I think we should KEEP the lionfish category... just my thoughts.

We could leave it as is, unless we have a clear consensus.
Billybob+ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-13-2014, 11:42 AM   #2
Sailfish

I am interested to hear what others have to say about this.

Another option: to highlight a certain number of "trophy" fish species and make them double points, for instance. Toner's 70lb AJ certainly takes more skill than a getting vermillion or a spade fish.

On the other hand, the only ones on the list I would get rid of are: Porgy, spanish mack, vermillion, and spade fish. I say that because I see them often and pass them up when I'm spearing. Anything else (black grouper, black sea bass, schoolmaster snap) would have been either a lucky shot or a very good species recognition, which IMO is an important element of being a good spearfisherman. The point of the tournament is that the best spearo wins...

As for lionfish, this is one of the more important categories. There are enough lionfish-only tournaments that it can't be ignored. They're fun, delicious, and it helps the reef.

Click for Spearfishing, Astrophotography, Timelapse, Diving, Fishing, Skiing, Warrior Dash videos:

http://www.youtube.com/user/jdbeach2...?sort=p&view=0

aquatic argobull is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-13-2014, 01:34 PM   #3
SaltWaterDave
Sailfish

I think the funnest part of the derby is shooting things that you may not normally target. Or maybe changing your game plan to complete a specific goal and place something on the board. It makes you reach outside of your "normal" target species and join in on the derby. It would take someone smarter than me to come up with a ratio that will make some porgie or flounder worth as much as the BIG AJ. The fact is people will remember a 70# AJ, but no one will be talking about a 5# porgie, so there is your bragging rights.
naclh2oDave is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-14-2014, 02:49 PM   #4
Snorkiller
Trigger

Are Mahi and Wahoo already categories? If not I would like to see it. Doesn't have to count for more, but we will definitely be targeted them all season. Myself and numerous other freedivers including snapperluke, triton, and lyterkillsling. We have taken mahi in the past and will be spending much more time in bluewater this year. Also, how many freedivers would it take to separate the category? We are working on getting a certified scale at Down Under Dive Shop in Gulf Shores now to have close for the Bama Guys
Attached Thumbnails
What fish do you target?-mahi-mike-jpg  
naclh2oDave likes this.

Last edited by skram; 03-14-2014 at 02:52 PM.
skram is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-14-2014, 03:31 PM   #5
Sailfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by skram View Post
Are Mahi and Wahoo already categories? If not I would like to see it. Doesn't have to count for more, but we will definitely be targeted them all season. Myself and numerous other freedivers including snapperluke, triton, and lyterkillsling. We have taken mahi in the past and will be spending much more time in bluewater this year. Also, how many freedivers would it take to separate the category? We are working on getting a certified scale at Down Under Dive Shop in Gulf Shores now to have close for the Bama Guys

Mahi and Wahoo are already categories. Here's the current board:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/...rive_web#gid=0

That's friggin awesome! I hope you guys can put some fish on the board this year!

If there's enough interest, I can duplicate the derby spreadsheet for freedivers. Until there's enough interest there, I'll just add it to the one we have going already. When you upload pictures and weights to the official thread, just make a note that you shot it while freediving.

Good luck! I can't wait to see y'all get some big ones!

Click for Spearfishing, Astrophotography, Timelapse, Diving, Fishing, Skiing, Warrior Dash videos:

http://www.youtube.com/user/jdbeach2...?sort=p&view=0

aquatic argobull is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-14-2014, 06:03 PM   #6
Grouper

Shoot yeah, Skram!!!
Cant wait ti see some of those BIG palegica!!!!
Billybob+ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pensacola Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
How Did You Find Us?
Tell us how you heard about Pensacola Fishing Forum.

Log-in