To the two young guys spearing by the bob sikes bridge - Pensacola Fishing Forum

Go Back   Pensacola Fishing Forum > Scuba Forums > Spearfishing

Like Tree5Likes

Old 10-27-2013, 07:49 PM   #1
Trigger

Default To the two young guys spearing by the bob sikes bridge

I hope I did not offend you when I said y'all need to get a dive flag and to watch the regs on places you can spear. I wasn't trying to force you out of the water, it's just that I didn't want y'all getting in trouble. It sucks that there isn't really anywhere to spear around here without a boat, but when someone gets caught by the marine patrol, it comes back on the whole sport. I hope y'all did well, but read up on the regs, follow them, and help everyone else out!
OnGrade is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-27-2013, 11:50 PM   #2
Sailfish

That ain't smart, but like the OP said, I understand the frustration of not having any good spots that you can access without a boat. You can spear at park east, but about the only good thing there is 10-11" mangroves and small spadefish. I'd like to find a good inshore spot to find some flounder...

Click for Spearfishing, Astrophotography, Timelapse, Diving, Fishing, Skiing, Warrior Dash videos:

http://www.youtube.com/user/jdbeach2...?sort=p&view=0

aquatic argobull is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-27-2013, 11:57 PM   #3
Sailfish

Had some young guys last year pull right up to us at 3 mile. Jumped in with spear guns. Didn't say anything till they left. Advised them to read up on the rules.
KingCrab is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-28-2013, 12:23 AM   #4
Sailfish

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm under the assumption that since there's no fishing allowed on the 3 mile bridge, spearfishing is legal. As long as you have a dive flag.

Click for Spearfishing, Astrophotography, Timelapse, Diving, Fishing, Skiing, Warrior Dash videos:

http://www.youtube.com/user/jdbeach2...?sort=p&view=0

aquatic argobull is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-28-2013, 09:12 AM   #5
Sailfish

From FWC's site...

"You may NOT spearfish...Within 100 yards of a public swimming beach, any commercial or public fishing pier, or any part of a bridge from which public fishing is allowed."

My take is that spearfishing would be allowed near the 3 Mile Bridge, since fishing is not allowed from the bridge. However, spearfishing is not allowed within 100 yards from the fishing pier adjacent to the bridge.
Gotfw likes this.
WhackUmStackUm is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-28-2013, 09:17 AM   #6
Grand Slam

So all those dudes I see spearing at Fort Pickens are in violation?
hjorgan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-28-2013, 09:42 AM   #7
Sailfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by hjorgan View Post
So all those dudes I see spearing at Fort Pickens are in violation?
Spearfishing is not allowed within park jurisdiction, which I believe is the closer of one mile off-shore or to the intercostal shipping lane. Spearfishing is also not allowed near a jetty or fishing pier, whether they are in a park or not.

Last edited by WhackUmStackUm; 10-28-2013 at 09:45 AM.
WhackUmStackUm is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-04-2013, 10:35 PM   #8
Trigger

Default Jettison

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhackUmStackUm View Post
Spearfishing is not allowed within park jurisdiction, which I believe is the closer of one mile off-shore or to the intercostal shipping lane. Spearfishing is also not allowed near a jetty or fishing pier, whether they are in a park or not.
I thought it was the last 500 feet of any jetty 1500 ft or longer.
Ozeanjager is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-05-2013, 05:34 AM   #9
Grand Slam

Bryan that's correct that also applies to commercial fishing. The reason I am commenting is that if those rules apply ALL the area that is between the channel and pickins property should be off limits to any charters. or spear fishing. But what happens is if the park service gets a bug they enforce it an example is the Bait boats, mullet fisherman on the Gulf side and flounder giggers along the shallows. Sometimes they enforce and sometimes they don't.
sealark is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-18-2015, 08:54 PM   #10
Cigar Minnow

the fwc regulation is as follows... "Within 100 yards of a public swimming beach, any commercial or public fishing pier, or any part of a bridge from which public fishing is allowed" this means you can spearfish anywhere on the Gulf Breeze side of the 3 mile bridge because their is no public or commercial fishing pier there. enjoy!
Snagged Line likes this.
woody88 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pensacola Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
How Did You Find Us?
Tell us how you heard about Pensacola Fishing Forum.

Log-in