spearing and first time diver report - Pensacola Fishing Forum

Go Back   Pensacola Fishing Forum > Scuba Forums > Spearfishing

Old 08-02-2009, 10:30 PM   #1
White Marlin

Default spearing and first time diver report

i don't know where to start so i guess i just should start from the beginning. sorry if the post is so long but here it goes.my brother got certified two weeks ago and this was his first weekend that he could go diving. so me, my y brother, burg ( who taught me what i know), mitchell ( aka fishwagon) , his father in law, alan( first time diver in gulf), and jason (certified less than a year ago). we struck out saturday to mainly let them get in the water for the first time and see what the gulf is like and hopefully maybe shoot a few fish. we were headed and and got to about a 100 ft and saw an oil rig taht we would like to dive and pulled up to it. naturally there was a boat on it but the fisherman were just drifting baits back catching kings and mangros mainly. i hailed on the radio to the boat, Two Brothers, and asked them if they minded if we dive there with the first timers before we hit up some tanks and such. they said sure, have at it. THANKS if you are on the forum for being generous. we dive and a big mangro 6-8 lber comes up to me and i could have stoned him but i wanted my brother to get him so i waited for him and he got down to me and finally got a sot and it was a miss. oh well he was gone. we get to bottom and look at the short grouper and finally run accross some snapper and i shoot one about 10 lbs and i turn around and he is under the ledge at the bottom getting his first 20 " snapper. we all head back to the top after we look at everything and off to the tanks. burg and jason hit the first one and burg gets a 19.5 lb snapper and jason gets a 8.5 triggerfish ( that bit him on his thigh cause he did not string it through the mouth, OUCH), mangro, and red snapper. then mine and my brother go down and we both choke. i come up to a monster snapper waiting on brother again wanting him to see and turn around to see him chasing another. we both shoot, he misses and i stuck it but it pulled out. two good big sows now gone. then a big ol triggerfish comes in range and i cock one band thinking it waqsa enough and i shoot and stone it ( so i thought) and i get to it and the barbs are not in the fish so i hurry and try to get a death grip and naturally it comes alive and wins. my brother then shoots a decent trigger and i go up disgusted at my chances. alana and mitchell go down and they some up with a 18 lb snappper and one of them choked on another one. burg and jason go down again and and burg, the 28 year diving veteran shows us what a 21 lb snapper weighs. we then hit some shallow rigs on the way in and i show my brother some flounder and he gets some of his on as well as i did myself. then burg and jason went down and jason came back emptied handed and burg again got his 1 man limit of flounder. oh well, maybe next time we will be on our A game not watching out for the newbies and actually get some fish. enjoy the pics. oh and did i say we saw a free jumping sailfish in 110 ft of water.

live shot

burgs best two in one day. weighed the next day so i am sure they both would have busted 20 LBS.

my brother burg mitchell

Advertisement

Old 08-03-2009, 12:23 AM   #2
Grouper

Default RE: spearing and first time diver report

You've got a couple of hogs there! Nice report and pics, way to go.
flyingfishr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-03-2009, 12:23 AM   #3
Trigger

damn. nice pics and post.
fishFEEDER9697 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2009, 09:35 AM   #4
Snapper

Nice mess of fish there. Fun getting some new people into it, isn't it? Cool that you waited to see if they could get a shot. That'll give you good karma for the next spearing trip.
HateCheese is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pensacola Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
How Did You Find Us?
Tell us how you heard about Pensacola Fishing Forum.

Log-in