spearfishing looks freakin awesome - Pensacola Fishing Forum

Go Back   Pensacola Fishing Forum > Scuba Forums > Spearfishing

Old 05-21-2012, 12:34 PM   #1
Grouper

Default spearfishing looks freakin awesome

ive been living here and fishing my whole life and have never once had any desire to go diving or spearfishing...... until today. i heard something about lionfish this morning on wxbm and got curious. searched them on here, started watching spearfishing videos, and now (3 hrs later) im ready to sell all my regular fishing gear and get into diving and spearfishing. damn that looks fun. yall make it look easy but im sure it takes a lot of time and effort to get to that point. ill be visiting a dive shop very soon. thanks for the inspiration.
jakec is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-21-2012, 12:39 PM   #2
Praedator
Grand Slam

Quote:
Originally Posted by jakec View Post
ive been living here and fishing my whole life and have never once had any desire to go diving or spearfishing...... until today. i heard something about lionfish this morning on wxbm and got curious. searched them on here, started watching spearfishing videos, and now (3 hrs later) im ready to sell all my regular fishing gear and get into diving and spearfishing. damn that looks fun. yall make it look easy but im sure it takes a lot of time and effort to get to that point. ill be visiting a dive shop very soon. thanks for the inspiration.
If I have the time and can get on the water, I no longer take a fishing pole. I prefer to choose from the buffet line vs. saying here fishy fishy on the surface. Whether they want to each or not, I'll find and put a shaft in a fish that's down there.
Telum Pisces is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-21-2012, 12:42 PM   #3
Sailfish

I always take at least one pole with me. You have to have something to do in between dives.

You will love spearing though. If nothing is down there at least you know. Nice reference to it being a buffet line.

Old 05-21-2012, 12:52 PM   #4
Grouper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Telum Pisces View Post
If I have the time and can get on the water, I no longer take a fishing pole. I prefer to choose from the buffet line vs. saying here fishy fishy on the surface. Whether they want to each or not, I'll find and put a shaft in a fish that's down there.
yea man thats what i was thinking..why just sit up here and wait and hope its a good one when you can just go down and pick the one you want. seems like you get some good exercise while fishing too.
Old 05-21-2012, 01:00 PM   #5
Praedator
Grand Slam

It's not for everyone. It takes some time and dives under your belt before I would say you should put a speargun in your hand.

Talk to people you know that do it and go talk to people at a dive shop. They can give you the ins and outs of getting started. There are a ton of threads on here about getting started in the sport.
Old 05-21-2012, 01:11 PM   #6
Grouper

ive talked to a friend of a friend and thats what he said.im sure its not as easy as it looks by far. ive never been diving or even been around people while theyre diving and im sure theres a lot to it starting out. it seems very dangerous if your not careful. i will def take it slow and try to learn as much as possible before i get my dumbass in the water. i guess ill be sighning up for a dive class soon.
Old 05-21-2012, 01:20 PM   #7
Sailfish

Lots of fun!! Welcome to the obsession. Take your time and learn proper boat diving technique before you start shooting. Also, get a gopro and head-mount so we can watch your dives

Click for Spearfishing, Astrophotography, Timelapse, Diving, Fishing, Skiing, Warrior Dash videos:

http://www.youtube.com/user/jdbeach2...?sort=p&view=0

aquatic argobull is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-21-2012, 01:48 PM   #8
Snapper

One thing I've wondered is, does having a little trouble breathing during exertion mean a person shouldn't take up diving or limit one self to shallow dives or anything you guys/gals have to offer as helpful information?
DTFuqua is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-21-2012, 02:03 PM   #9
Praedator
Grand Slam

Quote:
Originally Posted by DTFuqua View Post
One thing I've wondered is, does having a little trouble breathing during exertion mean a person shouldn't take up diving or limit one self to shallow dives or anything you guys/gals have to offer as helpful information?
Diving itself is not too hard on you. But when you add a speargun or bad surface currents it can exhaust you quickly. And if you are prone to problems with exertion on the surface, you open yourself up to more problems under water. Nitrogen build up can do funny things to different people. But as a general rule, if you are fat and out of shape, you open yourself up to getting hurt underwater more so that a fit person.

I would start off real slow/shallow and see how you take to diving. Discuss this with a dive instructor before you do anything. They can fill you in a bit more.
Old 05-21-2012, 02:08 PM   #10
Sailfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by DTFuqua View Post
If you have any doubt about your ability to dive because of a health issue, get checked out by a doctor before diving.

As much as possible, we try to limit exertion during dives. Heavy exertion can be a contributing factor to a DCS hit (decompression sickness, or "the bends").
Not to mention, exertion will cause you to burn through your tank faster, limiting the time you get to spend on the bottom.

To anyone even considering learning to dive, I only have two words for you: DO IT!!!!!

I was in my 30's when I learned to dive, even though I'd wanted to do it for a LOOONG time before that. I wish I'd started earlier!
FelixH is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pensacola Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
How Did You Find Us?
Tell us how you heard about Pensacola Fishing Forum.

Log-in