Spearfishing Contest - Pensacola Fishing Forum

Go Back   Pensacola Fishing Forum > Scuba Forums > Spearfishing

Old 10-21-2013, 10:18 AM   #1
Grouper

Default Spearfishing Contest

Over in LA, the LA Council has a year long spearfishing contest. Jan 1st - Dec 31st. They have some rules but it's largely the honor system, Anyone interested in having the same for PFF?

could have categories like Biggest of each species, Best of 5 for each species, We could even kick in a bit of money and have trophies/plaques made. Seems like some obvious rules would be a travel distance, or maybe not,
a species list but I would think that it would be quite comprehensive.
Types of gear might be a consideration? Pnuematics? Powerheads? rebreathers? Freediving? Beach vs Boat? it seems that if it's for bragging rights, it'd need to be an equitable field of play.

could have a lobster category for biggest shovel and spiney, could have a people choice for video, I for one, thought that picture of the dude killing a cobia off a sharks back was awesome!

the way the LA Council maintains integrity is by requiring one other council member must be present when you harvest a fish.

As for weigh-ins, Most tackle shops will weigh in fish on certified scales.

It'd mostly be for PFF bragging rights.

Anyone interested? Any thoughts?
Billybob+ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-21-2013, 11:44 AM   #2
Sailfish

Wirelessly posted

I'm interested!! That would be awesome I think!!! Might get me in the water more as well!!!
Old 10-21-2013, 12:17 PM   #3
Grouper

There's a group out of Alabama that does something like this, but it's not for a whole year....more like 8 - 10 weeks. I think a year long may make folks lose interest? They have dive shops from all over join up. I would think you could make it work just as well as theirs. I think they run theirs from June 1 to mid-August.
rocklobster is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-21-2013, 02:59 PM   #4
Grouper

My thought behind a year was by being a year long, it gives us incentive to dive year round, or I should say "added" incentive!
seems that the shops, all shops, would benefit from that.
on top of that, by having it an annual event, it would ensure all species would have a targeted season. Grouper, Snapper, AJ, Cobia, trigger, flounder, lobster,
even the bluewater fish for anyone wanting a bluewater division. If we could get enough interest, I'd be open to the consensus, Only thing is, if it's too short then weather can play a factor or just plain luck would be more of a factor

could even have a fish fry to end it to celebrate.

(luck in spearfishing is always a bit of a factor)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rocklobster View Post
There's a group out of Alabama that does something like this, but it's not for a whole year....more like 8 - 10 weeks. I think a year long may make folks lose interest? They have dive shops from all over join up. I would think you could make it work just as well as theirs. I think they run theirs from June 1 to mid-August.
Old 10-23-2013, 02:25 PM   #5
SaltWaterDave
Sailfish

This supplemental snapper season was the first time in a few years that you could go after all our local normal targets all at once. Seems to be getting more rare to go after anything anytime. I like the idea of a year round friendly competition. I would suggest it start/end in the warm(er) months (this would ensure more people show up to a gathering, maybe a crawfish boil?) not during hunting season and right after a popular species season has ended. The boon to local shops would be big and would keep more local divers in the water. So BillyBob+, I have $50 that says I can take you for the biggest 5 of any species. Put your money where your mouth is....

Unless of course you want to team up with me and be the witness to all my shots?

Last edited by naclh2oDave; 10-23-2013 at 02:27 PM.
naclh2oDave is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-23-2013, 03:23 PM   #6
stonecoldshooter
Sailfish

My crew would be in for it. If you are needing another contestant to witness the actual "shot," that would rule me out. 95% of my dives are solo. I can supply unadulterated video of my shots.

I like the idea. One more ounce of encouragement to roll off the boat into 55 degree water.
Old 10-23-2013, 06:35 PM   #7
Grouper

My thought is it would mostly be an honor system tourney. Nothing to "steal" but bragging rights. I certainly thing that even the hard core tourneys they allow solo diving, I figure, if you left the boat with nuttin and came back with sumpin, you musta either killed it or swam to Joe Patti's!

If we made the entry fee even 5-10 dollars per and if we got enough interest, we could have some killer plaques made

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaltAddict View Post
My crew would be in for it. If you are needing another contestant to witness the actual "shot," that would rule me out. 95% of my dives are solo. I can supply unadulterated video of my shots.

I like the idea. One more ounce of encouragement to roll off the boat into 55 degree water.
Old 10-23-2013, 06:37 PM   #8
Grouper

OK, five biggest of ANY species?? LIONFISH!!

I think, after your last adventure with them, you'd be skeert to shoot even a tiny one
Quote:
Originally Posted by naclh2oDave View Post
This supplemental snapper season was the first time in a few years that you could go after all our local normal targets all at once. Seems to be getting more rare to go after anything anytime. I like the idea of a year round friendly competition. I would suggest it start/end in the warm(er) months (this would ensure more people show up to a gathering, maybe a crawfish boil?) not during hunting season and right after a popular species season has ended. The boon to local shops would be big and would keep more local divers in the water. So BillyBob+, I have $50 that says I can take you for the biggest 5 of any species. Put your money where your mouth is....

Unless of course you want to team up with me and be the witness to all my shots?
Old 10-23-2013, 07:46 PM   #9
Sailfish

I like the idea of a longer tournament. A one or two day event leaves a lot to chance. I doubt I could enter myself as many of my dives are too deep (160-350') for most judges to witness. Seems like a good concept though.
WhackUmStackUm is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-23-2013, 10:47 PM   #10
Grouper

I don't know why depth would be a limiting factor. I don't see a need for an eye witness other than a boat mate, but with the yield being so small (trophy) perhaps there's not even a need for a boat mate.

I do think that it should be an apples to apples competition, weather it's freediving, scuba or closed circuit, each of those have Technological differences which would need to be categorized, a Freediver shouldn't have to compete with a scuba diver nor should scuba have to compete with closed circuit. If you're willing to go to 350 on scuba, more power to ya. but on the standard blends of "basic" gases...air or simple nitrox...that's just my opinion. If we can get a consensus on the rules I'd compete however we all agreed.

I only have a PADI "Basic" certification but I'd be willing to go head to head with AOW or DM as long as the equipment was equitable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhackUmStackUm View Post
I like the idea of a longer tournament. A one or two day event leaves a lot to chance. I doubt I could enter myself as many of my dives are too deep (160-350') for most judges to witness. Seems like a good concept though.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pensacola Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
How Did You Find Us?
Tell us how you heard about Pensacola Fishing Forum.

Log-in