spearfishing - Pensacola Fishing Forum

Go Back   Pensacola Fishing Forum > Scuba Forums > Spearfishing

Old 10-11-2013, 10:11 PM   #1
Cigar Minnow

Default spearfishing

I'm new to scuba diving only 5 logged dives so far and I want to start spearfishing and logging as many dives as possible
I'm a free diver and I spearfish with that often so I am very comfortable with the water
I do not have a boat so I will have to be a tag along but I can help with gas etc.
I also have to rent scuba gear as I just started and will have to slowly buy my own so I we will need in advanced so I can rent.
very eager to get out there and start
bowwilson is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-11-2013, 11:04 PM   #2
LyterKillsLing
Grouper

Freedive.... How deep are you willing to dive? Or comfortable with? Are you certified in Freediving And are you experienced with shooting fish while Freediving?
FreeDiver is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-11-2013, 11:11 PM   #3
Cigar Minnow

free diving I normally get aroun20-25 feet I could go deeper but that's normally my cruise area and I'm really comfortable when its clear that's why I got in to scuba for bigger fish and so the clarity didn't matter
I've shot Spanish and sheephead
I'm not certified in it I didn't even know you could get a cert in it actually
bowwilson is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-11-2013, 11:42 PM   #4
LyterKillsLing
Grouper

Roger, I was asking cause we need a camera man. But we're silent hunting past 50. And as for certs, Check out immersion or FII Freediving. It's a solid way to hunt a lot more in a days time and be silently tuned in with the environment but it has it's risks. Dive safe.
FreeDiver is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-13-2013, 08:21 AM   #5
Cigar Minnow

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreeDiver View Post
Roger, I was asking cause we need a camera man. But we're silent hunting past 50. And as for certs, Check out immersion or FII Freediving. It's a solid way to hunt a lot more in a days time and be silently tuned in with the environment but it has it's risks. Dive safe.
I'm visiting family here this week and would be very interested to be your camera man, but not sure if I have time. I love freedive spearfishing but didn't bring any gear. Would like to talk about it though.
oceanben is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-14-2013, 12:52 PM   #6
Mingo

I don't know you, or anything about your skills, so please don't take this personally. This is general advice I'd give to any diver regardless of their comfort in the water:

Get about 50 dives in before touching a speargun, preferably in the depths and conditions you plan to hunt in.

Spearfishing is super-easy. Some of the dumbest, least talented people I know are amazing spearfishers ;-) But once you start reloading a gun at 90ft, you begin to retain CO2, which is an anesthetic and a narcotic (more narcotic than nitrogen). You'll breather faster, which will cause you to retain more CO2, both because your breaths will be shallower, and because you're breathing through a regulator.

So now you're fighting a fish, reloading your gun, nitrogen 'narced, CO2 'narced, and then you see your next big fish, and "forget" to check your NDL or your gas pressure.

We have several Pensacola folks get bent, or run out of gas each season, sometimes a couple of deaths too. We lost 2 or 3 last year, and one of those guys was a very experienced spearfisherman.

So why am I telling you all this? You need to get comfortable with your sac rate, and how much gas you burn at different depths, and in different circumstances (swimming hard vs. sightseeing). You need to get comfortable being at depth, and making command decisions, that are much harder to make when you're narked and in the heat of battle. For most folks in my experience, 50 dives is a good number, some folks wouldn't be "ready" in 1,000 dives, and some folks may be ready in 25, but I haven't seen that person yet.
El Kabong is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-16-2013, 07:01 PM   #7
TJ McBoatFace
Trigger

Yep. What El Kabong said. Spearfishing will task load you and like juggling, one can only handle so many moving things at once. Given that several of these things are life support related you get the idea.

IMHO. DIVE DIVE DIVE. Introduce new elements slowly and with proper training. For example, procedures for diving from an anchored charter boat or life boating can be different and impact your safety. Spear easy stuff first and go slow, don't shoot a 60 lb AJ on your first dive.

Check out The Barebones of Spearfishing. It's a great instructional dive video and shows plenty of spearing dive footage.

Safety first. I just about cringed when I dove with guys who load their 3 banded spear gun on the boat and jump in the water. Some guys you just cant' reach, well that's how he want's it...well he gets it...

Oh and just stop now and start doing some really expensive addictive drug now...It will be less addictive and cheaper in the long run.

Have fun
Hangover is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pensacola Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
How Did You Find Us?
Tell us how you heard about Pensacola Fishing Forum.

Log-in