Riffe spear shaft problem - Pensacola Fishing Forum

Go Back   Pensacola Fishing Forum > Scuba Forums > Spearfishing

Old 08-23-2014, 07:43 PM   #1
Blue Marlin

Default Riffe spear shaft problem

I looked at my son's Riffe spear gun today after he complained to bruising his thighs cocking the bands and the difficulty in cocking. I'd never even looked at a Riffe gun before today but I figured out why he was having all of the bruising and cocking problems.

I used a Sea Hornet for lots of years and never had the problem Rhett was having. On the Sea Hornet shafts I used (Lou Bonzi shafts) the notches were about 4" further forward than on the Riffe gun. Yes, you lose a little zap unless you shorten the bands appropriately. The Sea Hornet is infinitely easier to cock. BTW, we bought bare spring stainless shafts and cut them to fit our personal specs "Back in the day."

SOOO-I cut a new notch in his spear shaft about 5 inches in front or the most forward notch. The gun is a helluva lot easier to cock now and easier on his thigh. I may have been able to cock the gun in the back notch one time if I had strained my guts but, in the new notch, it is a piece of cake. Now I gotta make a new band for his gun.

If you look it from an ergonomic standpoint, the closer to your hip you have to pull the bands, the harder it is to do because of the way your muscles are used.

Rhett is no wimp, either. He is in superb physical condition and a lot stronger than I have ever been.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-23-2014, 08:15 PM   #2
Blue Marlin

Default Gun in this post should be AB Biller rather than Riffe.

Yep, I screwed up again.
Old 08-23-2014, 10:18 PM   #3
Jeremy Hoekstra
Sailfish

I got new bands for my cx2, can't hip load it anymore, I have to pull to my cheast and wonder if I'll break a rib before I get it loaded. Sure is fast though.
Advertisement

Old 08-24-2014, 05:14 PM   #4
Sailfish

I would get some longer bands. Larger diameter bands are often harder to stretch too. So I would stick to the smaller diameter bands.
and be nothing.”—Aristotle
WhackUmStackUm is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-24-2014, 08:10 PM   #5
Grouper

cocking any speargun, that I've ever used is much more about technique than strength..

I can say I've never bruised my hip or thigh because I never put the butt on either but I can cock pretty much any gun you hand me and I'm not terribly strong....I'm much weaker than most of the guys I dive with.

as for shortening the shaft (effectively by cutting new notches) you weaken the gun (less potential energy) to get that power back, you'd need to shorten the bands but then you'd be back to having trouble cocking the gun if you continue to use the same motion to cock it.

Last edited by Billybob+; 08-24-2014 at 08:27 PM.
Billybob+ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pensacola Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
How Did You Find Us?
Tell us how you heard about Pensacola Fishing Forum.

Log-in