red snapper spearfishing dive boat - Pensacola Fishing Forum

Go Back   Pensacola Fishing Forum > Scuba Forums > Spearfishing

Old 05-08-2014, 10:00 PM   #1
tmc
Cigar Minnow

Default red snapper spearfishing dive boat

Hi,
does anyone know of a small group spearfishing dive boat available for a day or 2 the first week of red snapper season in Panama City or Destin for 2 guys. I have been spearfishing for over 25 years mostly in the Keys and Bahamas. I have made a few dives in P.C. and Destin. My son is 22 and has been diving since he was 10 years old. Any contacts would be appreciated
Thanks,
tmc
tmc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-08-2014, 10:17 PM   #2
Grand Slam

I plan to dive Pensacola if you want to come over this way. We usually dive 4-5 guys in teams and live boat. Not a charter but I you're willing to split expenses we could make it happen.
jspooney is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-08-2014, 10:28 PM   #3
tmc
Cigar Minnow

I appreciate the invite-- I am not familiar with Pensacola area so do you dive the wrecks and bridge spans or do you dive live hard bottom on anchor or marker float and line weight? I know the weather has a lot to do with where you go and how far out but on a normal day how deep and do you drift dive?
thanks,
tmc
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-08-2014, 10:32 PM   #4
Grand Slam

The answer is yes. We do all of the above. Usually dive 100-120' but the first week of snapper season will have fish everywhere so we could stay closer in. I love hard natural bottom and have tons of spots. Also have several public and private spots. Pretty much a little of everything. Used to anchor, but have started to drop a marker buoy and live boat.
Old 05-09-2014, 09:19 PM   #5
tmc
Cigar Minnow

HI jspooney,
I am nitrox cert, but my son is not. He and I probably need to dive 95 ft or less the first week of snapper season for a 3 tank dive. Is that ok? How big is your boat? and how many divers do you normally take out? I know it depends on how many is going and other things but normally how much do we need to chip in $. We will be coming from Atlanta Ga. and I know it depends on the weather and we understand that and we are flexible -question- do you try to take your boat out for 2 days in a row diving during the first week of red snapper season? If not that ok but we would be interested in going the next day if it works out for you and the weather ect.. Do you have a small hotel that you would recommend or some place to stay in the Pensacola area
thanks,
tmc
Old 05-10-2014, 12:38 AM   #6
Grand Slam

There are plenty of places to shoot that are 95. The hardest part will be managing around the other boats. Boats with just fishermen sometimes get awfully emotional when divers go down on a wreck. That said, the gulf is really big. 3 tanks is no problem. We usually run with 4-5 divers. Depends on the seas. I have a 22' Cat. 5 divers is tight but doable if the seas aren't bad. 2 days in a row isn't always possible, but one day is usually doable. Boat share will be about $40 per person. We have a ton of great charter boats that run out of Pensacola that you could always hook up on. DKDiver is one I would recommend. Dalton is a pro and you can't go wrong with him. Hotels run from cheap to high class. Depends on what you want to spend.
Old 05-10-2014, 12:44 AM   #7
Grouper

I do pretty much the same as jspooney. We usually dive from 70-110ft and what most people call "live boating" I call "diving". We never anchor, just drop a marker and leave someone on the boat to idle around the bubbles.

I have taken randoms from the forum out before and always had a good time so I may be available if it works out too. Same deal, just chip in a bit for gas money. 26' Cape Horn. We go out of Pensacola as well.
DreamWeaver21 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-10-2014, 12:53 AM   #8
Grand Slam

Dreamweaver, I've met some really great people by taking strangers out. I do always have that thought in the back of my mind about finding the guy is psycho...only after we are 15 miles out! LOL. Not that the OP is Psycho......
Old 05-10-2014, 08:57 AM   #9
Grouper

jspooney, I know what you are saying. I have had all good experiences, some were kind of funny.

I took out a navy kid (18-20 years old) that was in my nitrox class a few years back. I believe there were 3 of us on board so 2 dove and 1 ran the boat. When it was his turn to run the boat, I gave him a quick run down on the electronics and the controls while we were suiting up. This was on my 21 foot Cape Horn. He turned to me and asked, "How do I tell if the rudder is amidships?". At that point I realized, he might not have ever ran a boat at all before so I took a bit of time to do a little better explanation of what to do. I really wanted the boat to still be there when we came up

I do try to mention that we don't often anchor so people know that they need to be comfortable doing free accents.

Last edited by DreamWeaver21; 05-10-2014 at 09:01 AM.
DreamWeaver21 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pensacola Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
How Did You Find Us?
Tell us how you heard about Pensacola Fishing Forum.

Log-in