Nov 30 - Pensacola Fishing Forum

Go Back   Pensacola Fishing Forum > Scuba Forums > Spearfishing

Old 12-02-2013, 01:45 PM   #1
Grouper

Default Nov 30

Marcus Arrillius was home from his worldly conquests and with his Lil Sis also home for a hot meal from the big apple we decided to put together a fish fry, for which you need fresh fish! well, all options were considered including a run to Maria's or Patti's and the winner was....go get them ourselves!
Mr. Arrillius had a friend visiting who also happened to be from NY and He wanted to experience catching, because his whole life's fishing had consisted of exactly that, fishing, never any catching!
The plan, a quite simple one, was to take Marus's Uncle Critter along with the rest of the gang and head to a spot Critter and I had found a few months ago on a tuna trip. We'd only dropped on it one time because the gang were all biting at the bit to hurt some tuna but the one drop we'd made produced a 20+ pound gag! (for the life of me I still don't know why I couldn't convince them to stay for 30 minutes)
Knowing they should still be there and cooperative we just needed the weather man to be right about 2-3 with NE winds...it wasn't and he wasn't.
SO with 4-5 ft seas and a very green NY'er we opted for some closer spots. Diving was to be the grand finale so our first mission was to get some trigger or grouper or AJ for a fish fry with rod and reel and between "body cavity dumps" see if a NY'er could hang with us southern boys!
Lil Sis was first to score on R & R and her lil 90# self brought up a 24#, as measured on a handheld scale, Snapper, it was bloodied badly but back it went to feed the "Ocean Beggars" that had followed us all day! they played football with it a while and I THINK they eventually ate it but who knows!
Marcus followed with a 16.3# gag, so we had a fish fry now anyway. NY'er found an ever so brief moment of "life" and managed a 13# snap, again, more Dolphin Football!
I ended up getting some of the dolphin stuff on underwater video with my gopro so I hope to post that later.
with NY'er now turning a dark shade of purple we decided to call it but NOT before critter and I headed "south"....er down rather!
water was just horrible for diving, 72F and a crappy 80-100 foot of vis...just horrible who would ever want to dive in those conditions! I have video of that to follow but we managed 2 20# AJ and 5 lions and 1 trigger. So much for the bigger grouper not eating!
the seas finally laid down to flat but by this time the NY'er had cried "uncle" (no pun intended) Over all, a great day on a very rough pond!
when we got home we were cleaning our catch and Marcus asked if Lionfish could be eaten sashimi without "killing" you. to which I replied, I don't know, let's find out! It was some of the best sashimi I've had! to top it off, Critter had been experimenting with frying fish whole (and I DO mean WHOLE!) so we opted to try the Lions that way and it was quite intriguing! The one photo of the dirty cutting board....THAT is what was left of our Sashimi! it went FAST. Hope to have some video of the Sea Beggar's eating the snaps and the dive later
Attached Thumbnails
Nov 30-anna_24_lb-jpg   Nov 30-lionfish-sashimi-jpeg-jpg   Nov 30-fried-lionfish-jpg  
Billybob+ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-03-2013, 05:24 PM   #2
Trigger

That whole lion fish looks good although kinda demon looking
Great job can't wait for the video!!!
tank banger is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-03-2013, 06:22 PM   #3
Grouper

uploaded video of the whole trip, it's terribly grainy, don't know why...probably uploaded it at too low of a resolution or perhaps saved it at too low of a resolution. Anyway,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tOHJ...ature=youtu.be
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-03-2013, 06:23 PM   #4
Grouper

The whole lionfish was really good and plate presentation was cool too!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tank banger View Post
That whole lion fish looks good although kinda demon looking
Great job can't wait for the video!!!
Old 12-03-2013, 09:58 PM   #5
SaltWaterDave
Sailfish

That was a sweet shot, AJ with a pole spear, most guys would have ruint that with a spear gun, nice one! Those whole fried lion fish look pretty good, scary, but good.
naclh2oDave is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-04-2013, 09:51 AM   #6
Grouper

Killer Video and awesome structure on that dive!!.....How deep was that wreck?

2005 24' Action Craft Bay Boat
1990 37' Topaz "Fever Reliever"
www.traditionfishingcharters.com
Dynamic is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-04-2013, 10:12 AM   #7
Grouper

Just less than 100. Maybe 96-98 feet. caught the one decent gag and hoped for a bunch more to shoot but as you can see in the video, they just weren't there. It seems like wrecks in less than 180 are gonna be Snapper, Snapper and more Snapper.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dynamic View Post
Killer Video and awesome structure on that dive!!.....How deep was that wreck?
Old 12-04-2013, 10:41 AM   #8
Red Solo Kayak
Sailfish

hahah i love that "Thunk" sound. Great trip! Great Video! Awesome Eats!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hjorgan View Post
Headed to the nipple.... if she says yes..... I'll probably just get the elbow though.
MrPhoShiz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-05-2013, 07:04 AM   #9
Jeremy Hoekstra
Sailfish

Looks like some good dives, thanks for sharing the video.
Old 12-05-2013, 07:35 AM   #10
Make it a Grady Day.
White Marlin

Thanks for sharing.
Lionfish on my bucket list.
Spear 'em up.
DAWGONIT is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pensacola Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
How Did You Find Us?
Tell us how you heard about Pensacola Fishing Forum.

Log-in