New to Spearfishing - advice needed - Pensacola Fishing Forum

Go Back   Pensacola Fishing Forum > Scuba Forums > Spearfishing

Old 08-28-2015, 02:31 PM   #1
Cigar Minnow

Default New to Spearfishing - advice needed

Hey Guys... I am brand new to the sport of spearfishing and just got my first gun. I am planning to come down to Pensacola this weekend to test it out. My buddy and I plan to rent a kayak and head out to the USS Massachussets and from what I have read, it seems doable and a great spot to spearfish. The other thing is that we will be freediving. We are both experienced swimmers, but even so, is this spot even spearable for freedivers? If not, does anyone have a suggestion on a different spot that is accessible by kayak and shallow enough to spearfish freediving? I've looked at a few places listed on the link below and was also wondering about the Catherine Wreck. I see it's pretty shallow and close to shore. Anyone spearfished this wreck before? Any advice will be very much appreciated!

http://www.floridagofishing.com/reef...ia-county.html

Last edited by GASpear; 08-28-2015 at 02:36 PM.
GASpear is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-28-2015, 03:10 PM   #2
Snapper

I don't spearfish so I don't know how good of advice this is. I suggest you check spearboard as well for more information. The Mass is still quite a paddle out there for a kayak you are unexperienced and unfamiliar with and have never used to spearfish with it being your first time.

It seems needlessly dangerous to me. I would find a spot more inshore however I don't know of any.
CalvinandHobbes is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-28-2015, 03:43 PM   #3
eating tasty
White Marlin

You could shoot fish at the mass, its only 20ish ft deep so definitely free divable. You may not see much shootable besides spadefish, maybe some mangrove snapper. There is or was a jewfish living there, 20 lbs or so. Make sure you leave him alone.

Most important thing there is watch the tides, it is very much pass affected and the tide can rip through there both directions, faster than you can swim. Try to go on a high tide for best visibility. I'd go 30 mins before high tide and you should have a 2 hour or so window where it's fairly calm and clear. Make sure you use a divers down flag, lots of boats stop there for bait. And it can be sharky, but where isn't?
FenderBender is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-28-2015, 03:57 PM   #4
Cigar Minnow

Thanks for the advice guys. I will definitely carry my divers flag and go during high tide. We will be in the area for two full days, so we might try out another spot besides the Mass. Any other places that you know of that are accessible from shore and free divable? Artificial reefs, wrecks? Thanks again!
Old 08-28-2015, 08:31 PM   #5
stonecoldshooter
Sailfish

The Catherine is covered by sand. Not visible at all.

Please be very cautious of a kayak, freediving, first time with a speargun trip to the mass. The above advice is very sound. The tide will sweep you away from your yak and you will be in trouble fast. You have just about an hour (maybe more, but I would never gamble on that on a boat without a motor). It is a shallow fun free dive spot.
Unfortunately, there are not any shore based spots to dive and shoot around here. Closest thing is Alabama jetties. Gonna require an Alabama license.
Old 08-29-2015, 08:46 AM   #6
Cigar Minnow

Gotcha, I think we will just drive over to the jetties/whiskey wreck and try our luck there.

Thanks!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pensacola Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
How Did You Find Us?
Tell us how you heard about Pensacola Fishing Forum.

Log-in