New to spearfishing!!! - Pensacola Fishing Forum

Go Back   Pensacola Fishing Forum > Scuba Forums > Spearfishing

Old 03-21-2012, 03:18 PM   #1
Cigar Minnow

Default New to spearfishing!!!

Hey guys, just found this place looking for info on spearfishing and after reading alot of the posts on here, I see that you guys are serious about this stuff! Haha I'm from south GA, about 20 minutes from the GA/FL line and am at the coast about every weekend. I fish alot of the tournaments in the area (Big Bend Classic, etc.). For about 2 years I've wanted to go spearfishing so bad I couldn't stand it, and now I've finally made the move. I'm in the middle of certification at the moment. Do any of you guys ever fish around Mexico Beach? They don't have a forum like this that I could find. I want to learn from more experienced guys that spearfish, seems alot safer that way lol. If any of you guys have some general tips/suggestions, or even want to go sometime (long shot, I know lol) PLEASE reply. When I get into something I'm very passionate about it and any help would be greatly appreciated.
baseballplyr92000 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-21-2012, 03:34 PM   #2
Snapper

Welcome and you are going to love spearfishing! Go to the Spearboard forum http://www.spearboard.com/ Scroll down to upper gulfcoast. There are a few guys on there that dive out of that area. Just introduce yourself and you should be in business!! Good luck with your certification!
swander is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-21-2012, 03:41 PM   #3
White Marlin

Quote:
Originally Posted by baseballplyr92000
Hey guys, just found this place looking for info on spearfishing and after reading alot of the posts on here, I see that you guys are serious about this stuff! Haha I'm from south GA, about 20 minutes from the GA/FL line and am at the coast about every weekend. I fish alot of the tournaments in the area (Big Bend Classic, etc.). For about 2 years I've wanted to go spearfishing so bad I couldn't stand it, and now I've finally made the move. I'm in the middle of certification at the moment. Do any of you guys ever fish around Mexico Beach? They don't have a forum like this that I could find. I want to learn from more experienced guys that spearfish, seems alot safer that way lol. If any of you guys have some general tips/suggestions, or even want to go sometime (long shot, I know lol) PLEASE reply. When I get into something I'm very passionate about it and any help would be greatly appreciated.
And check out swander's videos on here. Great videos that will get you pumped up!!
marmidor is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-21-2012, 03:54 PM   #4
Cigar Minnow

Guys, thanks for the quick replies! I'll definitely check out that forum you mentioned. Pensacola isn't out of the question to dive from though. For me, this summer is dedicated to nothing but saltwater fishing! Whether it's on a boat or under the water. Any "beginner" tips would still be appreciated lol
Old 03-21-2012, 04:13 PM   #5
Trigger

For me spearfishing started as love and excitement, but quickly became an addiction. Im hooked and there is no hope.

Welcome to PFF. There is a lot of knowledge on this forum. The guys and gals here havent lead me wrong yet. Feel free to ask any spearfishing, gear, etc.... questions here. You will get honest answers/opinions.

My only advice is to take it slow on your first couple of deep dives. Get to know your gear, work on buoyancy control and donít worry too much about carrying a gun or shooting a big fish.
Haulin' Ash is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-21-2012, 04:29 PM   #6
Cigar Minnow

I'll take your advice! I'm not too much concerned about shooting a big fish yet, I just want to bring SOMETHING up. I can already tell that this will be addicting, like you said. Swimming around with a gaff chasing spadefish is getting a little old . A beginner speargun would be my most obvious question...whether anybody could recommend one, or if anybody might have a good beginner's gun I could possibly get a steal on?
Old 03-21-2012, 05:52 PM   #7
Sailfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by baseballplyr92000
I'll take your advice! I'm not too much concerned about shooting a big fish yet, I just want to bring SOMETHING up. I can already tell that this will be addicting, like you said. Swimming around with a gaff chasing spadefish is getting a little old . A beginner speargun would be my most obvious question...whether anybody could recommend one, or if anybody might have a good beginner's gun I could possibly get a steal on?
You say you are passionate so why not just get a gun that will last and is great quality. I love my riffe which seem alot better than the ab billers but im sure other people might disagree.
Old 03-21-2012, 06:25 PM   #8
Cigar Minnow

Well if I can get a decent gun for a cheaper price, I reckon I'll take it lol but I have been looking at the billers pretty hard. I haven't bought anything because I wanted opinions on where you guys thought I should go as far as a speargun is concerned. And I'm glad you guys are replying and helping me out!
Old 03-21-2012, 10:54 PM   #9
Sailfish

I have used a biller and a now have a riffe. I don't think that the biller was necessarily a bad gun but it seems easier to reload on the riffe and it is a lot quieter underwater when doing so.
MillerTime is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-22-2012, 05:11 AM   #10
Mingo

I'm with Millertime, I had a biller 42 and was happy with it till I shot my first AJ. Bounced right off of it and the fish swam off. I took my new Riffe 48" out and I couldn't be happier. Its cheaper to buy a great gun now and master it than to buy a low or mid grade level gun and upgrade later.
jamesw21 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pensacola Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
How Did You Find Us?
Tell us how you heard about Pensacola Fishing Forum.

Log-in