I usually spear/dive/vacation out of Panama City Beach, FL
but my wife has found a great deal on a weekly rental in Orange Beach
I plan on bringing my 26 Cape Horn down May 9-11 for a guys trip
to check out the diving

before I get bashed too hard

I would love some good numbers to do a little spearing
My number one passion is Lobster
spearing second

I realize that there are public numbers out there, but looking for a couple of reliable holes.

would be willing to part with some money for a couple of good spots

also, anyone know of a condo for rent that has a boat slip included
4 adults, preferably 4 beds :noteworthy:

Thanks in advace
Bradley
doc_dyer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-28-2014, 02:06 PM   #2
White Marlin

Here you go, Alabama has the best artificial reef program around, no shortage of spots.

https://www.outdooralabama.com/fishi...ificial-reefs/
Wharf Rat is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-28-2014, 02:31 PM   #3
Cigar Minnow

Thanks for the link,

but there are 1228 spots listed on that link

I'm driving 10+ hours one way to dive Thursday, Friday and Saturday

my boat, so I'm responsible for finding a couple of good spots
for my friend and his buddy.
I would hate to just pick some spots out of the 1228 that I think would be
good.

just don't want this to be a shatty trip.

Last edited by doc_dyer; 04-28-2014 at 02:45 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-28-2014, 03:16 PM   #4
Grouper

try posting the question on one of the spearfishing forums. you can probably get local, up to date reports from them. i know they started their annual alabama spearfishing tournament last weekend. a lot of folks hit the water. they may be able to give you a report. the tournament lasts all summer - every weekend - and they dive a lot, but are picky as they are looking for the biggest fish to win each category. i know they pass up quite a few keepers. good luck!
rocklobster is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-28-2014, 03:49 PM   #5
Grouper

For your primary target of interest, I think you should've stuck with Panama City. They have much more shallow (<100 ft natural bottom than we do in Pensacola/Orange Beach) you can find a handful of shovelnose if you search hard on some of the artificial reefs out of AL but they're hit or miss. The Natural Bottom is 115+ primarily out of Orange Beach where you could expect to find quantities of Lobster. Don't forget Spiney is closed right now anyway. Don't expect to find near the quantities of spiney over this way as they have in P.C.

Most of the public stuff out of AL will hold fish to shoot, trouble is, almost everything is closed! Snapper (Red) are closed, Gag is closed, Trigger will be closed in 3 days (Federal waters)

You can shoot one AJ per person which you should be able to easily find on any of the bigger public stuff, from Bridge rubble to Tugs, to Barges to Liberty Ships.

Also, this time of year keep your eyes open for a Cobia cruising by on some of the larger wrecks.

All the Alabama Tanks are a good choice for finding Black snapper (Grey, Mangrove, whatever you wanna call them)

One other point worth mentioning is AL, unless they've recently changed, only declares 3 miles as state waters so first, you'll need an AL license (assuming you're running out of AL) Second, you'll need IN ADDITION, an AL spearfishing license.
And the Federal closures will apply beyond 3 miles
Billybob+ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-28-2014, 04:19 PM   #6
Cigar Minnow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billybob+ View Post
For your primary target of interest, I think you should've stuck with Panama City.
first off, thanks for the reply
my wife has chosen the vacation, I have no choice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billybob+ View Post
One other point worth mentioning is AL, unless they've recently changed, only declares 3 miles as state waters so first, you'll need an AL license (assuming you're running out of AL) Second, you'll need IN ADDITION, an AL spearfishing license.
And the Federal closures will apply beyond 3 miles
Thanks again, I bought the year license and the spearing license,
yea I know they expire in a couple of months but I have no problem with fees that help the fisheries
Old 04-28-2014, 04:46 PM   #7
Grouper

Hit the M-60 tanks up. preferably the AL ones (on the sheet that was offered you earlier in this thread) Most people automatically are drawn to the "piles" with 2-3 tanks in a group, but I'd suggest you take the road less travelled and hit the singles, they get a lot less pressure. BLack snapper will be shooting in and out of all the holes so if you target them, you should be able to get a limit. If you have a good dive light and nerves of steel, I've found that you can get a handful of shovelnose on any of those wrecks by reaching inside the hatch openings and "sweeping the "ceiling" (the down facing metal) they're pretty much in the blind spots so even if you peak in with a light, you probably won't see the close ones. For the ones farther in, take a pole gun and stick them (shovelnose are legal to shoot as long as they don't have eggs....in FL that is...I'm not sure if AL even recognizes them as a species. check the AL regs on shooting them)
you can also find them in the tank treads....specifically the wheel spindles. a good light would be great to have diving the tanks!
you probably could pick up a small scamp or two, plus, possibly a legal AJ, though I'd hit the bigger stuff for AJ and the ever possible, this time of year, cobia
good luck!
Billybob+ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-29-2014, 04:55 PM   #8
Sailfish

Real challenge to get fellas to give up their bug holes. Tire pyramids often hold bugs, if you can find them. Bridge rubble spots can also hold bugs.
and be nothing.”—Aristotle
WhackUmStackUm is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pensacola Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
How Did You Find Us?
Tell us how you heard about Pensacola Fishing Forum.

Log-in