Lost Tug & Red Rock dives - Pensacola Fishing Forum

Go Back   Pensacola Fishing Forum > Scuba Forums > Spearfishing

Old 10-13-2013, 08:15 PM   #1
Mingo

Default Lost Tug & Red Rock dives

Went out to the Lost Tug off Navarre in a buddies boat 10/12 (Thanks Mike!). Fished for a while, got some Lane Snapper and Mingo. Got busted off several times. Decided to dive down and check it out.

Dove down to the bow section of the Lost Tug which was swarming with small (less than 28") AJ's of which several had leaders hanging out of their mouths. No big Snapper to shoot either. Shot a couple of Lionfish and the Tax Man came investigating. Biggest Bull Shark I've seen in a while! On the way up, about 6, 15-20lb Red Snapper met me at about 40ft. Low on gas, waved bye-bye, and continued back to the boat.

Afterwards, we went to the West, about 6mi to the Red Rock natural bottom area. Got a few more Lane Snapper and Mingos fishing. Made a dive to some low profile rocks with a multitude of tropical fish on it. Shot a couple more Lionfish, lo and behold, the Tax Man cometh! I swear it was the SAME Bull Shark from the Lost Tug! Came on up with plenty of gas, nothing to shoot.

While trimming the poisonous spines off a Lionfish while wearing my farmer john and booties, slid my ankle into the spines of another one. Talk about BURNING PAIN! No hot water on board, so toughed it out on the way back in. Don't know if going through the neoprene lessened the toxin or what, but after two hours or so, it only seemed to itch. Got home pulled off my suit and booties, to find TWO red punctures on the inside of my left ankle. Coincidentally, I also have been getting treatment for plantar fasciitis in the same foot.

All in all, a decent day fishing, a couple of so-so dives, my FIRST Lionfish sting, and the Tax Man definitely has my number! - Ric

Last edited by Turtlebait; 10-13-2013 at 08:23 PM.
Turtlebait is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-13-2013, 08:26 PM   #2
Grouper

Good post rat. Thanks for sharing. See you in the am brother.
onemorecast is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pensacola Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
How Did You Find Us?
Tell us how you heard about Pensacola Fishing Forum.

Log-in