let the carnage begin! - Pensacola Fishing Forum

Go Back   Pensacola Fishing Forum > Scuba Forums > Spearfishing

Like Tree4Likes

Old 01-20-2014, 10:58 PM   #1
Grouper

Default let the carnage begin!

With a nice weather forcast and a lil MLK day break we finally caught a "weather window" to go and try to get the Derby Board Started. Crew as Me, Aquatic Argobull, Saltwater Dave and Critter.

well, I thought the weatherman had said 1-2 for today and rough yesterday. I think he had it backwards.
it was 2-3 and of all the cotton-pickin directions coming out of about 215 so STRAIGHT on our nose.

We had originally had our sites set on some new runovers I have about 40-50 SSW of Pensacola, but that quickly changed when SWDave suddenly decided he needed a BATTERY! what a dumb dumb! So we get the ramp and I make the comment, oh well, nothing else can go wrong and SWDave said "unless we sink the boat" At that point the Dumb Dumb roles reversed!! I had left not one but BOTH plugs out! and it wasn't like I'd taken them out weeks ago and forgot, I took them out this morning and never put them back! so Dave went from zero to hero, and I went from smart @$$ to @$$ hole, all in a matter of seconds1

Luckily Wally had a couple so with Dave battery costing us 5-10 minutes and my plugs costing us an HOUR we're now underway...OK NOW nothing else can slow us down. WRONG. we crossed the tide line a couple of miles out and suddenly the wind kicked up and what was just a 1-2 foot smooth roller went to 2-3 croppy pretty quick

so we still thought somehow we could make the 40 mile run...nothing else can happen! After about 2-3 Miles more Critter says "Hey there's been an orange boat following us for about the last 15 minutes! I turn around and yep, it's the coasties and he's had blue lights blazing the whole way!

they were cool, they asked when we'd last been boarded and I said maybe 1-1.5 years ago, He asked if I had the paperwork which I couldn't find so they boarded us and after another 15 minute delay we're on our way. He said hang onto the receipt and it will save you another boarding perhaps sometime in the future (yeah, like 7 HOURS into the future, when the same guy stopped us again in the pass!)

OK, on to diving, we aborted the long run and hit some close in runovers. Critt and I hit it first and according to my Temp is was 24 degrees!! KELVIN!!!

OK, maybe not quite that cold but it did hurt for sure, even with a 6MM semi-dry. We hit spot after spot and here's what we weighed in for the Derby Board!

Triggerfish:

Saltwater Dave 8.93
Aquatic Argobull 8.75 (would've been 8.80 if he'd went with the first weight but he just had to reweigh it)
Billybob 3.03
Critter 2.52

Mangrove/Black Sapper:

Saltwater Dave 6.34

Lionfish:

Billybob 1.40
Billybob 1.358
Billybob 1.08

Aquatics Argobull 1.354
Aquatics Argobull 1.18

Shovelnosed lobster:

BB 1.18
BB 1.08
BB 1.02
BB 0.90

AA 0.89

James has scale photos to confirm and he says he will put together an XL to keep track with links to the photos if we upload them correctly.

AA suggested we not only have a weight category for Lionfish and Shovelnose but perhaps a "most in one day" category for each as well.

I second that, does anyone agree or disagree?

OK, let the smack talk begin!

WE'RE ON THE BOARD!!1
Billybob+ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-20-2014, 11:23 PM   #2
SaltWaterDave
Sailfish

That was a good day. For January, high of 64 seas 2-3 mostly, wasn't too bad. I think the coasties were glad to see us, gave them.someone to talk to. Didn't see another boat out there all day. If that keeps up I might get to keep hold of those first place spots for a little while!
naclh2oDave is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-21-2014, 12:09 AM   #3
stonecoldshooter
Sailfish

Glad you guys got the board started. I had a budget meeting "rescheduled" for today. Needless to say I was slightly unhappy.
Advertisement

Old 01-21-2014, 11:18 AM   #4
Grouper

I think that 8.93 is respectable for a trigger...I suspect that might be on the board for a few months to come!
(or until I get back out )

Salt, ya just gotta prioritize right......

job??? diving???? job????? diving?????? hmmmmmm

It wasn't the best of days but it sure was more fun that a lot of stuff I could've been doing!
Old 01-21-2014, 11:27 AM   #5
Sailfish

Way to get the board going & thanks for posting
Fielro is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-21-2014, 12:04 PM   #6
Sailfish

Allright...Check it out. Just made the new board. You can hover your mouse over each reported fish and a link to the picture will come up. You can click the link to see a picture of the fish.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/...rive_web#gid=0

Any questions/concerns with this?

What do you guys think of the spreadsheet layout? Think this will work?

Click for Spearfishing, Astrophotography, Timelapse, Diving, Fishing, Skiing, Warrior Dash videos:

http://www.youtube.com/user/jdbeach2...?sort=p&view=0

Last edited by aquatic argobull; 01-21-2014 at 12:15 PM.
aquatic argobull is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-21-2014, 12:08 PM   #7
Sailfish

I'll post an "official spearfishing derby board" thread once I get all the bugs worked out of this one. Maybe the moderators can put it as a "sticky" at the top of the spearfishing section.

Basically, what you'll have to do is post in the forum what fish you got (much like Billybob+ did in this thread). You will ALSO have to upload pictures of them using the "photos" link at the top of the forum. Add them as an album. Then I'll add them into the spreadsheet.
naclh2oDave and Billybob+ like this.

Click for Spearfishing, Astrophotography, Timelapse, Diving, Fishing, Skiing, Warrior Dash videos:

Last edited by aquatic argobull; 01-21-2014 at 12:15 PM.
Old 01-21-2014, 03:16 PM   #8
SaltWaterDave
Sailfish

That is cool! I like the links and the spreadsheet. Are you going to keep it updated when there is a new leader that bumps everyone else down one? THIS needs a sticky!
Billybob+ likes this.
naclh2oDave is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-21-2014, 04:18 PM   #9
Sailfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by naclh2oDave View Post
That is cool! I like the links and the spreadsheet. Are you going to keep it updated when there is a new leader that bumps everyone else down one? THIS needs a sticky!
Yeah, exactly. As long as the picture and description are posted correctly, it only takes a second to update the spreadsheet.

Old 01-21-2014, 04:35 PM   #10
Grouper

Hey Fielro!

you in? The more the merrier!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fielro View Post
Way to get the board going & thanks for posting

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pensacola Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
How Did You Find Us?
Tell us how you heard about Pensacola Fishing Forum.

Log-in