I'm new to this! - Pensacola Fishing Forum

Go Back   Pensacola Fishing Forum > Scuba Forums > Spearfishing

Old 04-11-2012, 12:09 AM   #1
Grouper

Default I'm new to this!

I have been looking at spear fishing and it looks adrenaline filled! I got some questions

1. Is breathing through a tank like snorkling?
2. Sharks. I know you get this a lot, but how much do they bother you? I would actually like to swim with them if I get a chance
3. Is it something a 14 year old can do?
4. We're you nervous about looking into the darkness in a distances underwater? I even got nervous snorkeling in Jamaica! Haha

Sorry for all the questions. Thanks for any help!
Dragsmoker is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-11-2012, 02:56 AM   #2
White Marlin

[QUOTE=Dragsmoker;873548]I have been looking at spear fishing and it looks adrenaline filled! I got some questions

1. Is breathing through a tank like snorkling?
not to me, its better. its nice to know there is another breath when you need it. you will never forget your first breath of air underwater. almost wierd!
2. Sharks. I know you get this a lot, but how much do they bother you? I would actually like to swim with them if I get a chance
when i dove in pensacola 8 years ago, i saw the most sharks i have seen diving over there. only had two problems with them wanting the fish on the speargun. other than that, i would just see them and they would be on there way. i dive pretty much out of dauphin island now and very seldom see a shark but know they are there. may because we have more reefs ( rigs, pyramids, ships ) and the vis is not as good so cant see as far. in pcola all we dove was shipwrecks when i was diving.
3. Is it something a 14 year old can do?
yes a fourteen year old can do it, only advice is start small with the fish and work up.
4. We're you nervous about looking into the darkness in a distances underwater? I even got nervous snorkeling in Jamaica! Haha
kind of wierd but not for me, it makes me want to keep swimming. nothing like the snapper coming out of that darkness then popping it.

this is strictly my thoughts ands opinions, there are probably more knowledgeble people that will reply.
countryjwh is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-11-2012, 04:40 AM   #3
Cigar Minnow

Send a message via MSN to aimilvping Send a message via Skype™ to aimilvping

hi, i am a newer one, nice to meet you!!
aimilvping is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-11-2012, 11:50 AM   #4
Blue Marlin

Welcome!

Country summed it up pretty well.

First, here's some links to other threads on here that are some good reading with some good spearfishing info!

https://www.pensacolafishingforum.com...-learn-106257/

https://www.pensacolafishingforum.com...n-facts-27418/

https://www.pensacolafishingforum.com...-forum-107457/

https://www.pensacolafishingforum.com...-dives-112614/

Good to see new people into it, especially young ones! If you ever want to come out on a dive trip to see what it's like, and your folks are ok with it (they're welcome to come along too and fish), you can come with us on my boat if your willing to help with things like pulling anchor, etc. And I have a hookah rig (a regulator with a 50' hose. You can leave the tank on the boat ans swim around with the regulator in your mouth to get an idea of what it's like without having to strap on all the gear). You would be more than welcome to use it.

Sharks only want your fish, not humans. Otherwise divers and swimmers would be getting attacked and eaten weekly. And as far as your fish, believe it or not, sharks do have a natural fear of humans, and they will circle, and sometimes dart in and out, and occasionally they will get a hold of someones fish. But if they weren't scared, no spearfisher would ever make it to the boat with his stringer of fish, ever.

The more aggressive you act towards a shark, the faster they will swim away. Start running for a shark, and you will just excite his natural chase instincts, like a cat ans mouse.

If you are intrested in some spearfishing videos, click on the link I have below in my signature to watch some of the underwater videos I've made.

Again, welcome to the forum!
Old 04-11-2012, 12:06 PM   #5
Jeremy Hoekstra
Sailfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clay-Doh View Post

The more aggressive you act towards a shark, the faster they will swim away. Start running for a shark, and you will just excite his natural chase instincts, like a cat ans mouse.
You mean "from", right Clay?
Old 04-11-2012, 02:54 PM   #6
Trigger

I concur with everything Country said. I recently had my 11 year old certified (3 weeks ago). Important thing about a younger diver like that is their maturity level. I worked with my son in the pool for a couple of summers before I thought he was mature enough to handle any mishaps underwater (reg kicked out of mouth, mask kicked off, etc.). I have a 14 year old daughter that would not be able to handle it, just depends on the kid. It is obvious they need to handle the weight of the equipment, but don't miss the mental side of diving which is even more important. As far as him spearfishing, I am starting him out with a pole spear to stick some flounder and let him watch me for a little bit, then ease him into it. Good divers with good advice on this forum. Good luck.
ButlerCoOwner is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pensacola Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
How Did You Find Us?
Tell us how you heard about Pensacola Fishing Forum.

Log-in