Great day underwater today. - Pensacola Fishing Forum

Go Back   Pensacola Fishing Forum > Scuba Forums > Spearfishing

Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By jspooney

Old 08-03-2014, 11:17 PM   #1
Grand Slam

Default Great day underwater today.

We left out around 3 from Shoreline hoping to just get wet and maybe a little lucky. First spot was hard bottom around 14 miles out, SSE. Water clarity was much better than the last time we were out, but a little less viz on the bottom compared to the super clear water on top. Bottom temp-72 degrees. 3 over the side left 2 fisherman in the boat. Lots of undersized fish, several large snapper, and enough lionfish to fill a bag. I settled on 3 big lionfish and then started looking for bugs. Found 1...that's it. I went the wrong direction because diver 2 found 5 and diver 3 killed a handful of lionfish. Back to the top for our surface interval. After a few minutes of discussion, we decided to run another 6 miles East to some numbers I have never been on. Holy crap, the hard rock bottom on the next dive was absolutely covered in fish and it went on and on and on. Snapper the size of trucks and plenty of keeper triggerfish. Dang it, the last words out of my mouth before I splashed were "I'm gonna regret not bringing my gun". I only brought my lionfish gear on this one because my tank only had 1800 psi and at 110', I knew I would be limited anyways. That was a mistake. The bottom was covered up and we managed several more lionfish, a flounder, and a few more lobster. While on my safety stop we were covered up in Mahi, so once aboard we rigged with some squid and managed 20 in the boat before deciding to head to the pass. Sorry no pics, it was late and we needed dinner so you'll have to take my word for it. All in all, a great afternoon on the water with good friends, good diving, and a new favorite spot.
WhackUmStackUm and tkh329 like this.
jspooney is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-03-2014, 11:41 PM   #2
Seafox 237 twin outboards
Blue Marlin

You need a gopro for your next trip.
I would enjoy seeing someone surrounded by mahi
Chapman5011 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-04-2014, 12:06 AM   #3
Grand Slam

We had one gopro. Not sure if he got the footage but I'll post if he did. It was cool. There were a few hundred of them.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-04-2014, 12:17 AM   #4
White Marlin

it must be awesome to dive rocks or hard bottom. being from over here in alabama its rigs, wrecks, and private stuff. yes they old fish and i love it, it would just be nice to see some different scenery. also just go out 10 miles to get to them would be nice.
countryjwh is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-04-2014, 12:25 AM   #5
Grand Slam

Quote:
Originally Posted by countryjwh View Post
it must be awesome to dive rocks or hard bottom. being from over here in alabama its rigs, wrecks, and private stuff. yes they old fish and i love it, it would just be nice to see some different scenery. also just go out 10 miles to get to them would be nice.
I used to only dive chicken coops and pyramids. After diving live bottom, I greatly prefer it. Anyone can kill fish on a coop. Natural bottom is a whole different story.
Old 08-04-2014, 07:42 AM   #6
Jeremy Hoekstra
Sailfish

Without pictures it never happened....

Sounds like a good time Jeff.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pensacola Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
How Did You Find Us?
Tell us how you heard about Pensacola Fishing Forum.

Log-in