Good day turned rough - Pensacola Fishing Forum

Go Back   Pensacola Fishing Forum > Scuba Forums > Spearfishing

Old 08-11-2014, 10:32 PM   #1
Grand Slam

We left Shoreline at 10 looking for a great day with good friends. We headed SE about 18 miles to some hard bottom. The barracuda were everywhere. 3 in the water. I hit the bottom mostly looking for grouper, but would wind up shooting my two triggerfish limit right away. Had trouble with my speargun not loading correctly, so it took a while until I started looking some more. Searched all the way West but couldn't find any grouper. Lots of AJ, trigger, mingo, and ARS, but no bugs or grouper. Decided to surface after 3 bulls came in. They circled below me all the way up, but when they got within 20 feet they would bolt immediately. Guess my shark shield really does work. 2nd group wanted to dive natural bottom, so we headed 7 miles East and they rolled. Nothing but a flounder and three pregnant bugs who got to stay in their holes. Meanwhile, we caught a few keeper trigger from the topside. Next stop was North because the wind was really picking up. Those 1' or less turned into easy 2-3' with 4's in there every few minutes. Same two rolled and shot a flounder and found a shovelnose. Only one diver found the wreck, the other went the wrong direction and never found it, although he did have 2 40lb ish cobia stroll by him just out of reach of his pole spear. Nice dive anyways. Next up was me and the other 2 divers so we headed to the Tex in hopes of AJ. Sure enough, I popped a 37" reef donkey, and each of the other divers killed an AJ as well. (they were gone before the pics.) After the AJ one of the other guys came and started motioning and yelling like a mad man. After we surfaced we laughed the whole way in because it was so funny. He was trying to say how big the grouper is that he saw (claims it was at least 300 lbs) and wanted us to go tag team to kill it. I followed him but got side tracked. While I was wrestling the AJ onto the stringer, he played dead. I shot him behind the eye, stuck my knife in his head, and had a stringer through his eyes. Laid him beside me for a minute while I reloaded my gun and the dumb thing suddenly came to life and swam off with my stringer through his eyes. While following my buddy to the grouper I saw my fish (with stringer in tow) and veered off to get him. Meanwhile, my buddy was gone. No need to hang around any more so I surfaced and the boat came to pick me up. You should have seen the number 3 diver when he finally surfaced. He was cussing us like crazy because we didn't back him up with the grouper and he had to let him go. He felt a little better when we convinced him it was a Jewfish and we COULDN'T have shot him anyways. It was funny as heck. All in all, a good day on the water and a ziploc full of fillets for each of us.
Attached Thumbnails
Good day turned rough-photo-2-3-jpg   Good day turned rough-photo-35-jpg  

Last edited by jspooney; 08-12-2014 at 08:49 AM.
jspooney is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-11-2014, 10:38 PM   #2
Sailfish

Send a message via AIM to amarcafina Send a message via MSN to amarcafina

18 miles. Triggers ?
Old 08-11-2014, 11:00 PM   #3
Grand Slam

Yes, triggers. I've seen more trigger on the last few trips than I can remember in a long time. We were still in state waters.

Last edited by jspooney; 08-12-2014 at 08:40 AM.
jspooney is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pensacola Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
How Did You Find Us?
Tell us how you heard about Pensacola Fishing Forum.

Log-in