freediving - Pensacola Fishing Forum

Go Back   Pensacola Fishing Forum > Scuba Forums > Spearfishing

Old 01-27-2012, 02:48 PM   #1
Trigger

Default freediving

hey everyone,
Now, I have not taken the scuba course, I think i prefer free diving, even though I`m no master at holding my breath. I do manage to hold my breath for roughly 2 minutes.
I was wondering, does anybody here do freediving? I`ve pretty much only seen scuba spearfishing so far on the forum (except for some shallow water snorkeling). I think I should be able to dive about maybe 30-40feet, but not quite sure. It would be nice to launch in Orange beach or so and drive out like 2 or 3 miles and then try to reach the bottom to shoot some fish. How`s the clarity of the water out there usually?
any info or tips at all would be awesome (so far I`ve only really spearfished in the mediterranean).
Thanks
Paolo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-27-2012, 03:00 PM   #2
Bearded Brotula
Grand Slam

I think there are some guys on here that were talking about freediving out of yaks. Somewhere around three barges.
Old 01-27-2012, 03:25 PM   #3
Videographer
Sailfish

Most of the Wrecks around here are in at least 50' of water....and while you CAN get some clear days, you usually only have about 30' of vis when you are in that close. It is possible to freedive/spearfish here, its just a lot of work. .....I know Jim Phillips ,over at MBT Divers is bringing in more Freediving gear ...as it is becoming more popular in the bad economy....you might stop by there and pick his brain for some spots and contacts.
Advertisement

Old 01-27-2012, 03:30 PM   #4
Trigger

Ahhh, yeah, good idea. I bet he could help me out. I would be pretty happy with 30' vis! Last time I dove out of dauphin island a few miles out and could barely see past the tip of my gun. I think i'll def check out the 3 barges, sounds good, and I bet I can reach the bottom and shoot some bottom fish there.
Paolo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-27-2012, 06:45 PM   #5
Blue Marlin

Like Scott (firefish) said, not many spots good for freediving around here, that's why mostly scuba unlike south FL. Shallowest public reef is 3 barges...55 feet. After that, everything is 70' and up.
Old 01-29-2012, 03:40 PM   #6
Trigger

there are some members of this forum organizing with others on spearboard, several freedivers and scuba...check it out
Addict'd is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-02-2012, 09:08 AM   #7
Mingo

I freedive, however, I have not spearfished yet. A good buddy of mine just hooked me up with a gun and I'm looking forward to using it this year. Check out the forum at spearboard. A lot of good info. MBT is holding a free spearfishing seminar/ clinic next Friday night at 7. Ill be there
no_boundaries is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-04-2012, 05:58 PM   #8
Snorkiller
Trigger

Our Oil rigs (in alabama) are a freedivers dream. we also have a couple wrecks in less than 40ft of water as well as a great jetty to hunt on. Also, not all fish are laying on the bottom so diving wrecks that are deeper than you can dive can still be worth it. Stop by blonde johns in Gulf Shores, we have all of our freedive gear at 50% off right now. Also I can give you more info on freediving in the area. We have a growing number of freedivers here, glad to see more
skram is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pensacola Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
How Did You Find Us?
Tell us how you heard about Pensacola Fishing Forum.

Log-in