Food for thought...(and the dinner plate) - Pensacola Fishing Forum

Go Back   Pensacola Fishing Forum > Scuba Forums > Spearfishing

Like Tree15Likes

Old 03-09-2015, 06:01 PM   #1
Grouper

Default Food for thought...(and the dinner plate)

The FWC and all the "biologists" would have us divers make a dedicated effort to irradicate lionfish. Well here's my perspective on it. I love to dive, I love to spearfish and I love to eat fresh fish! I want to teach my son to dive, spearfsih and cook his own fish. I'm NOT a commerical guy so all I can harvest are the recreational fish.

So yesterday I went diving with some friends. The first wreck I hit was a KILLER Tire pile LOADED with RED snapper and TRIGGERFISH...both of which I enjoy eating. Well, guess what, all I could harvest were....you guessed it ...Lionfish!

so for those that DON'T know, and I hope you are all aware, NOAA has a plan by the year 2020 to make the entire Gulf of Mexico a recreational catch and release only fishery....don't take my word for it, if you've been living with yoiur head in the sand do a simple google search of "NOAA vision 2020" make sure you read from the ACTUAL NOAA site as not to be confused by nuts like myself.

so now, once you've read that and you see that is indeed their plan, WHY Is it in my best interest to irradicate possibly the LAST remaining fishery that I will be allowed to harvest with speargun?

As for me, I propose we begin NOW managing the lionfish fishery, to maintain a sustainable population well into the future!

I conceed, I will start carrying a lionfish tube (home built of course) and will start harvesting these deliciious fish. I WILL NOT contribute to the collapse of the last remaining year round speargunning fishery! I pledge to harvest ONLY what are niced sized ones leaving the future stock to grow for my next visit.

given the current overpopulation of red snapper and the soon to be overpopulation of triggerfish, I'm sure there will be substantial fry to support, maintain and perhaps even grow, if we're lucky, the current lionfish fishery!

Please, as spearfisherman who would like the sport of spearfishing to be generational for decads to come, join with me in pledging your support of maintaining a healthy lionfish population.

they taste great and they'll be THE last fish we can target as spearfisherman.

Last edited by Billybob+; 03-09-2015 at 06:04 PM.
Billybob+ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-09-2015, 06:22 PM   #2
Blue Marlin

10/10

850-810-2548

http://www.facebook.com/bitebackcharters/

www.bitebackfishingcharters.com
JD7.62 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-09-2015, 06:25 PM   #3
Grouper

I agree they are delicious to eat sounds logical to me seems like so far they are interacting well with other fish every wreck we dive is overrun with red snapper and triggerfish along with a good stock of lionfish seeing how the lionfish are the only thing we are allowed to harvest it would seem senseless to try and Eradicate them they may be an invasive species and eat smaller native fish but if you think about it 50 15 to 20 pound red snapper on a chicken Coop eat everything in sight
TONER is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-09-2015, 06:34 PM   #4
Grouper

EXCEPT of course, for now, they DON'T eat adult lionfish! let's hope it stays that way to maintain our healthy fishery for lionfish!

I for one, ended the day with a gallon bag of filets!

had the lionfish fishery not been healthy, I would've had to have begged one of my diving buddies for a piece of worm-ridden AJ!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TONER View Post
I agree they are delicious to eat sounds logical to me seems like so far they are interacting well with other fish every wreck we dive is overrun with red snapper and triggerfish along with a good stock of lionfish seeing how the lionfish are the only thing we are allowed to harvest it would seem senseless to try and Eradicate them they may be an invasive species and eat smaller native fish but if you think about it 50 15 to 20 pound red snapper on a chicken Coop eat everything in sight
Evensplit and TONER like this.
Billybob+ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-09-2015, 10:26 PM   #5
SaltWaterDave
Sailfish

Most people just can't swallow that pill. The fact is that NOAA will have their way, they want the gulf to be like a trophy hunting ranch that is picture shoot only. If lionfish is our last stand then yeah, lets at least maintain a healthy population of the invaders for our traditions and family time. Makes sense honestly.
naclh2oDave is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-09-2015, 10:58 PM   #6
Cigar Minnow

Default The Economic Impact of Saltwater Fishing in Florida

I agree BB+, only kill what you are going to eat with respect to our Lionfish fishery! Let the charter boats and commercial guys deal with the consequences of there constant lobby against recreational fisherman/spear fisherman!

We could have a voice in this situation! Consider the following copied directly off the FWC web site:

Saltwater Recreational Fishing
Anglers
#1 in nation in saltwater anglers (2.4 million) 2011 USFWS Survey, as compiled by Southwick Associates
Licensing
1,612,102 recreational saltwater licenses sold (resident and nonresident) in fiscal year 13/14
$29,073,573 in revenue generated from license sales
Economics
Economic impact:
Saltwater recreational fishing- $7.6 billion,
Supports: 109,341 job (Source: National Marine Fisheries Service, 2014 report, using 2012 NOAA data)
Florida #1 in angler (fresh and saltwater) expenditures

We need a unified voice to combat these oppressive regulations! There are 2,400,000 recreational fisherman/voters and $7,600,000,000 dollars of our Florida economy in jeopardy. The state and federal politicians will listen if we organize.

I nominate BB+ as the first President of the new Gulf States Recreational Fishing Association!
TONER and Billybob+ like this.
Critterfl is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-10-2015, 09:15 AM   #7
SaltWaterDave
Sailfish

http://www.gulfcoastlionfish.com/lionfish_events.html

Lion fish awareness day in Pensacola is May 14-17 at the Palafox pier, there should probably be a group of picketers flaunting some "Save the Lionfish " signs.
naclh2oDave is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-10-2015, 12:32 PM   #8
Sailfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billybob+ View Post
The FWC and all the "biologists" would have us divers make a dedicated effort to irradicate lionfish.
a) Come on man, you're giving away our secret!

b) I get what you're saying here, and it does make sense. Why should I care if the lionfish outcompete and decimate the snapper population if we aren't allowed to take them anyways?! I'll stick to taking on average 20-30 pounds of lionfish each trip. I think we both believe, however, that humans have a relatively small impact on the (what I presume to be in massive influx followed by eventually stabilizing) lionfish population. The only thing that's going to cull the population is when grouper and snapper realize that they can be hunted.

c) What kind of lionfish containment unit are you going to make? Maybe you should look through the threads here for a post by Whack 'em Stack 'em. He made a pretty sweet lionfish containment unit out of a 7 gallon bucket. Maybe he will chime in and talk about the pros and cons of that design.
TONER likes this.

Click for Spearfishing, Astrophotography, Timelapse, Diving, Fishing, Skiing, Warrior Dash videos:

http://www.youtube.com/user/jdbeach2...?sort=p&view=0

aquatic argobull is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-11-2015, 11:14 AM   #9
LyterKillsLing
Grouper

Catch and release only...... They have a sad fucking day with me.... Ain't gonna happen.
Old 03-11-2015, 12:45 PM   #10
Grand Slam

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreeDiver View Post
Catch and release only...... They have a sad fuc#/%& day with me.... Ain't gonna happen.
Edit the above OK
Evensplit likes this.

Last edited by sealark; 03-11-2015 at 12:48 PM.
sealark is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pensacola Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
How Did You Find Us?
Tell us how you heard about Pensacola Fishing Forum.

Log-in