Finally made it out 03/26 - Pensacola Fishing Forum

Go Back   Pensacola Fishing Forum > Scuba Forums > Spearfishing

Old 03-27-2012, 11:15 AM   #1
stonecoldshooter
Sailfish

Default Finally made it out 03/26

We ran straight to the Born again. Stopped short because we found several nice grass patches. I have been wanting to hunt some grass. Two of us rolled with free diving gear and started stalking the grass. We hit two of them and had no luck. Saw plenty of small baits under the second one. We rolled on the born again and nabbed 3 triggers. The AJ and red snapper were hanging off the wreck. Also shot one nice black snapper. We let the bubble watchers have their rod n reel fun while we off gassed. They were putting a whoopin on the Red snapper. We hit the Pete tide and continued to let them fish. Immediately they doubled up. One broke off from a heavy pull. We geared up and rolled. Vis was a bit murky at first (at depth) but within minutes it seemed to clear up to around 30'. Huge school of under size AJ swarming the reef. I circled around the port side and was looking for black snapper when I saw it. There sat about a 16-18 lb gag grouper with a shiny new hook and about two feet of flouro hanging off his lip. I had a laugh because the guy that broke off swore his fish was way bigger than the one the other guy hauled in. I shot a black snapper and moved on. I was ready to start my ascent. On the pete tide I always make a 360 before i head up looking for sharks. Glad I did. Two 6' bull sharks were doing the dinner dance below me and heading my way. I grabbed the lift bag and shot the fish up. Just like magic the sharks left. We saw a big turtle once the guys were rod n reeling again. Threw a jig on it and BAM! Hook up, drag screamin, and a bunch of Hell Yeas. Then the fish spit the hook. Never saw it or the turtle again. Headed to Ft Mcrae tocelebrate and then took the boat to a crawfish boil. What a day!

First time with my gopro hero2. I didn't get the flat lens. I thought I was going to be clever and angle the camera so that you just couldn't see me check my gauge or computer. It was off just enough to miss part of the action. I could see the sharks plain as day (looking down at the sand) but on video you only catch a shadow of one of them. The sand was reflecting the sunlight. Not sure if this is a flat lens issue or because I had it set on 1080. Anybody Have any thoughts on this?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-27-2012, 11:33 AM   #2
SaltWaterDave
Sailfish

Nice report sounds like one heckova day on the water. Those grass lines should start showing better life later in the warm wx season. I do like hunting those!

I have been using my friends Gopro when I dive and I think I actually like the fish-eye lens better than the flat lens. The video that I have made with the flat lens seems more distorted that the round lens. So take that for what it is worth. Besides that I like to angle the camera just enough up to not see my mask, if you see me checking my gauge and gun, well, that is what we do. My wife and kids like all that junk because it is how it is.

Thanks for the report, are you going to post the video?
naclh2oDave is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-27-2012, 12:14 PM   #3
Jeremy Hoekstra
Sailfish

Nice report, sounds like a really fun time!
I had a issue with my hero2 on saturday, I had AJ up close to me and the color was all washed out at different angles. It's not bad for a home movie, but it still happened.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pensacola Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
How Did You Find Us?
Tell us how you heard about Pensacola Fishing Forum.

Log-in