Afterbite for Lionfish - Pensacola Fishing Forum

Go Back   Pensacola Fishing Forum > Scuba Forums > Spearfishing

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Billybob+

Old 07-12-2014, 08:35 PM   #1
Chef Al
Mingo

Default Afterbite for Lionfish

I understand the Lionfish sting is like a hornet, paperwasp or scorpion. We use a product for the stings of those lovelies called "AFTERBITE". Sold in grocery or drug stores. Really works on bees, wasps and scorpions. Of course it wouldn't work underwater but maybe when unloading or cleaning and accidentally get zapped. Anybody try it or similar products?
agbiv is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-12-2014, 09:27 PM   #2
Videographer
Sailfish

Have not tried afterbite.
Heat destroys the lionfish toxin. We use heatpacks when on the water....since hot water is kinda hard to come by out there.
Just googled Afterbite....and looks like the active ingredient is ammonia. This is a remedy for jellyfish, but I dont think it would have much effect on a deeper stick from a lionfish. Its really scary how deep those spines penetrate ..and how easily.
I had one go completely through my finger, and pull back out - all in a split second...and hardly any pressure. 4 hours of pain followed....and 2 months to fully heal.
Heat is the accepted treatment....and when available- it does work.
Not getting stuck is the best thing - be safe, pay attention, and configure your gear so that you are not in danger of getting stuck while collecting them.

Last edited by Firefishvideo; 07-12-2014 at 09:31 PM.
Firefishvideo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-12-2014, 09:59 PM   #3
Chef Al
Mingo

Default Scorps etc are mostly surface.

Yep all our venomous stings, except vipers, are generally in the surface layer of the skin. Just wondered. I won't be diving deep enough to encounter the Lionfish, from what I've been told. 30-40 fsw at most and freediving.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-13-2014, 09:14 AM   #4
Grouper

Hey Chef Al

Whoever told you that a Lionfish hit was on par with a Hornet or Wasp or bee was a bit misrepresentative of their effects.

a MILD hit can be about that of a bee. even less. I've been hit cleaning them after a day on ice and they can be as mild as any other fish finning.

of course I know with bee/wasp stings you CAN have anaphylactic reaction which, then, all bets are off, but in general a good live hit from a lionfish is painful beyond a typical bee sting. I took a good hit on Friday at depth on the back of my hand through my Walmart garden center gloves and it was so intense I thought I might pass out. On top of that, these spines seem to be hypodermic sharp and they can be inches long! meaning much deeper penetration and thus delivery of the toxin.

As for heat working, Ive seen times it gives some relief and other times it doesn't. I think that also depends on the penetration to which you get hit. I can tell you I don't know at all about scorpion stings but I have been bit by a rattlesnake and the pain associated with the immediate affected area of a lionfish and a rattlesnake can be comparable. I never felt pain so intense I thought I'd lose consciousness from the rattlesnake but I sure as heck did on two different occasions with the lionfish.

the good news here Al is you almost have to TRY to get stuck by one or accidentally stick yourself with one (which most of mine have been)

they're virtually completely passive and they can simply be "shoo'ed" out of your way if they're in your way.

as for seeing them out from the immediate wreck/reef area that seldom happens and you seldom will encounter one up in the water column.

I think they're a very low risk unless you're actively pestering them.
TONER likes this.

Last edited by Billybob+; 07-13-2014 at 09:18 AM.
Billybob+ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-13-2014, 04:32 PM   #5
Chef Al
Mingo

Default Great info from all!

Thanks for the clue in and experience points paid forward. Well then...use the Afterbite for what it was intended--plus it is great on mosquito bites if used rght after the bite. Does not neutralize malaria, dengue fever or West Nile though.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pensacola Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
How Did You Find Us?
Tell us how you heard about Pensacola Fishing Forum.

Log-in