5 Tax Men fight over tariff!!!!! - Pensacola Fishing Forum

Go Back   Pensacola Fishing Forum > Scuba Forums > Spearfishing

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Turtlebait

Old 06-28-2014, 04:54 PM   #1
Mingo

Default 5 Tax Men fight over tariff!!!!!

That's right! 5, count'em 5, sharks were fighting over a 20lb Red Snapper I shot off Navarre in 75ft of water!!!!!

Here's the whole story. Three of us from work(two fishermen @ self) went to a small cage off Navarre, where the week before we had scored our limit in the 12-15lb range, and hoped to do it again. We got there about daybreak and could only score small ARS and a slew of Remora's. At this point I decided to make a dive to see if I could get our quota of big ARS by spearing them.

The surface current was real bad and as I pulled myself down the buoy line, I knew I was dragging the weight from the wreck. When I get to the bottom, 20ft of vis, I picked up the weight with my left hand and clutched my loaded gun and pole spear(for the Lionfish) in my right. After following the drag mark for about 40ft, about a 15lb ARS greets me. I promptly gut shot him and he takes me to the wreck, where he pulls off my spear only to be eaten by a 6ft Bull Shark! Thinking to myself, now that was quick response even for the Apex Predator! As I reload my gun, I see another 6ft Bull Shark to make it 2 against 1. I shoot about a 12lb ARS in the dorsal fin and he tears off only to be eaten by a larger 8ft Bull Shark!

It's now 3 against 1 and feeling woefully intimidated to say the least. I'm watching these 3 sharks go round and round, back and forth, when a 4th Bull Shark, another 6 footer, sails over my head! Just when I'm getting ready to bug out, a 20lb ARS comes right at me and instinctively, I nail him right in the gill plate. This snapper promptly dives into the cage and tries to go out the other side only to get hung up by the shaft. My gun is halfway in the cage and no matter how hard I pull, I can't get any slack. Meanwhile, the 4 Bull Sharks start acting REALLY strange. A 10 FOOT Bull Shark shows up to really shake things up!!! The 10 footer is hemming me up to the cage, owning the sand around it and making smaller circles to check out the 20lb ARS with its head hanging out of the cage. After about the third pass, he grabs the snappers head, pulling the gun from my hand, and then the other 4 sharks move in to try to steal it from him! I haul ass to the surface with just my pole spear for protection.

When I get in the boat, I tell my tale and my two fisherman say that explains why all the Remora's were caught, they were hanging with the 5 Bull Sharks!

We ended up with 1 ARS about 4lb, and the loss(tariff) of 3 nice ARS to the Tax Men along with the speargun and some of my dignity. - Ric
tkh329 likes this.
Turtlebait is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-28-2014, 05:23 PM   #2
Sailfish

At least you've still got all your body parts. You are braver (or something ) than I am to try that.
Rickpcfl is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-28-2014, 05:30 PM   #3
Grand Slam

Glad you made it up. Not sure I would've pulled the trigger with that many around and already eating.
Advertisement

Old 06-29-2014, 10:12 AM   #4
Mingo

Notice in my post I said I "instinctively", not WISELY, shot him. - Ric
Turtlebait is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-29-2014, 08:47 PM   #5
Sailfish

Balls of steel and brains of ............lol

Great story and glad you made it back to the boat. Cant imagine doing a solo dive and having that many sharks hungry around me.
polar21 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-29-2014, 10:55 PM   #6
Sailfish

Now that what I call adventure!
and be nothing.”—Aristotle
WhackUmStackUm is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-30-2014, 07:22 AM   #7
Grouper

Daaayyyuuummm!!!!
onemorecast is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-30-2014, 07:50 AM   #8
Sailfish

Send a message via AIM to amarcafina Send a message via MSN to amarcafina

Waste

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pensacola Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
How Did You Find Us?
Tell us how you heard about Pensacola Fishing Forum.

Log-in