10-8 trip - Pensacola Fishing Forum

Go Back   Pensacola Fishing Forum > Scuba Forums > Spearfishing

Old 10-09-2013, 08:20 AM   #1
Trigger

Default 10-8 trip

Nice little mid week trip. We dove the ydt plan was to hit up a couple of snapper maybe a Aj then move on and look for trigger. The ride out was smoother that predicted and the vid was great 40 plus feet. Weird dive didn't see a snapper on the ydt it was mainly covered up in barracuda like 60 something just hovering. I only saw 3-4 lionfish I killed two of them. Next dive was on some black water bridge rubble tons of life here I got my limit of snapper. The little one is 17-18 inches long

Question about sharks they have become more than the occasional nuance they show up with the first shot of a gun and just pester your like a dam begging dog. I had a sand shark circle all around while I strung up my snapper. We just locked eyes on as he swam in small circle off to the side of me. I went ahead and sent my fish up anchor line with the lift bag and he left me to pester my buddy. Anchor rehung in rubble so we made a third dive there as well. We planned to put both stringers on anchor line pop two fish shoot it up pop two more and shoot up stringer. As soon as we got down two sand sharks are checking us out my buddy took a poor shot on a snapper (lead him a little to much and blew off chunk just forward of his eye) I am know watching 5 sharks chase at and cut each other off trying to get this snapper. We bailed on out and started up rope.
Now my stupid question. Do you guys pull the trigger when sharks are already hanging out? It seems asking for trouble but on the other hand pretty much every dive we have shot fish on they appear as soon as the trigger pops, it doesn't matter if I am on tanks or privates little sites smaller than cars or big ships. Only time I haven't seen any lately was a trip we took in July just bagging flounder in bridge rubble, the only difference that was all of us had pole spears. It almost seems to me the sharks zone in on the pop of the guns and head towards them any thoughts?
Attached Thumbnails
10-8 trip-image-3521498311-jpg  
Berry is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-09-2013, 10:24 AM   #2
White Marlin

Yeh,.........get yourself and underwater camera plus a rod and reel. Problem solved.

Shark numbers will continue to grow under protection but it has been like that since I started diving in the 70s. It's not the pop of the gun, it's the vibration of a distressed fish.
panhandleslim is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-09-2013, 10:25 AM   #3
Sailfish

It really depends on what site you're spearfishing. You were at two very public reefs. Especially the bridge rubble, the site is known for having a lot of sharks.

I hate to blame the man or the gov't, but it's probably due in part to all of the snapper regulations. Fisherman are sending back down a lot of tired snapper fish and sharks are getting a lot of easy meals. So they're making that site home. Smaller private reefs you won't see nearly as many and the ones you see aren't as aggressive.

Click for Spearfishing, Astrophotography, Timelapse, Diving, Fishing, Skiing, Warrior Dash videos:

http://www.youtube.com/user/jdbeach2...?sort=p&view=0

aquatic argobull is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-09-2013, 10:26 AM   #4
Sailfish

Invest in a gopro, it's the best shark repellent you can buy

Click for Spearfishing, Astrophotography, Timelapse, Diving, Fishing, Skiing, Warrior Dash videos:

Old 10-09-2013, 10:58 AM   #5
Trigger

I wish I had the gopro it was in the counter at home. Definitely more frisky in the public numbers but they always show up in some little private stuff as well. In regards to the distressed fish I know it attracts them but what I have see is they always appear when gun fires and rarely when we all have pole spears anybody else notice that.
Old 10-09-2013, 12:06 PM   #6
Sailfish

I agree that many sharks trigger off the sound of a speargun being fired, and certainly they come a-runnin' when they sense a struggling fish.

If I feel threatened by sharks, I attach my stringer to a 15 lb lift bag, shaped like a safety sausage, and send it to the surface. With very few exceptions, sharks ignore as soon as I do this. I often carry two or three stringer/lift bag setups.

Folks on the boat are on the lookout for the bags and pick them up. I've never had a shark or barracuda mess with my lift-bagged fish on the surface.

Last edited by WhackUmStackUm; 10-09-2013 at 12:09 PM.
WhackUmStackUm is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-09-2013, 12:12 PM   #7
Grand Slam

A 15 lb lift bag wouldn't even lift one of my fish...let alone the whole stringer.......
jspooney is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-09-2013, 12:35 PM   #8
Trigger

So do you guys still take a shit with one interested (not aggressive just lazily doing circles) nearby
Old 10-09-2013, 12:40 PM   #9
Grand Slam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berry View Post
So do you guys still take a shit with one interested (not aggressive just lazily doing circles) nearby
Can't...stop...laughing. Dang spell chick
jspooney is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-09-2013, 12:46 PM   #10
Sailfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by jspooney View Post
Can't...stop...laughing. Dang spell chick

When ya gotta go....ya gotta go.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pensacola Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
How Did You Find Us?
Tell us how you heard about Pensacola Fishing Forum.

Log-in