Why support your LDS... - Pensacola Fishing Forum

Go Back   Pensacola Fishing Forum > Scuba Forums > General Scuba Chat

Old 01-14-2008, 10:30 AM   #1
Snapper

Default Why support your LDS...

I know some questions have been raised about why a dive shop sometimes has higher prices than the Internet, hopefully people understand about internet pirates, black/gray market goods, service, warranty issues, etc. I want to give my personal experience on the matter and explain why I firmly believe in finding the right shop for YOU, might be long but I hope it'll help keep divers in our dive shops!I bought a basic item at a local dive shop a year ago,I no longer dive out of this shop but I had a service issue.I was told my item, "probably on had a year warranty" and was basically pushed out the shop as it was nearing time for them to close. :banghead They never called the manufactuer or checked on the warranty, and thiswas aBASIC item that I felt they would know it's coverage. Well, I headed tothe shop I dive out of now, no surprise that it is MBT, and asked if they had a phone number for Suunto. Now, this is not a "plug" for MBT, I'm just telling my experience exactly how it happened. MBT doesn't carry Suunto but they hooked me up w/ the number and my item has a TWO year warranty so it IS covered! The rep advised me to take it to my LDS, at which time I relayed my position. They in turn said they would hook me up w/ a service center. Any time I have bought anything at MBT, theygo above and beyond whatis required. This is why I transitioned to MBT and hope everyone understands that they make no money on air fills and such but they rely on OUR continued support! Hope this encourages y'all to find the shop that is right for you and suport 'em! :letsdrink
BADBOY69 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-14-2008, 10:44 AM   #2
Blue Marlin

Default RE: Why support your LDS...

MBT has always been great, and one of the few business left that still believes in making a customer happy to keep that customer comming back. And I am sure that is why they have been sucsessful, and needed to expand to a bigger location.

They get my money when I buy something!
Old 01-14-2008, 11:55 AM   #3
Snapper

Yup, wish I had mo' money to spend, but what I do have is invested at MBT! I forgot to mention that Fritz has even offered to service an item that he carries but I boughtat the 'old dive shop'! Almost makes me feel guilty that I didn't find MBT sooner...like the former shop is an oldskank you run into while out w/ your girlfriend and explain, "Honey, that was before I met YOU!" Anyway, Clay-Doh it was great to finally meet you at the RFRA meeting, look forward to diving w/ you soon!
BADBOY69 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-14-2008, 03:15 PM   #4
Grouper

yeah, most people don't fully understand the cost that goes into setting up a dive shop. Jerry got a first hand lesson the other night watching the fill station get set up. After moving the entire fill station from the other shop they had to go out and buy $800 worth of stainless steel fittings to extend the line to the compressor. That's right, $800 for fittings. Not to mention the compressor, volume bottles, fill panel, whips, valves, gauges. There is easily $20,000 in the fill station alone. And that's just to fill air. That doesn't take into account oxygen and helium, or the $60 filters that get changed as often as twice a week during the summer. Yeah, dive shops lose money on air fills, but they do it to offer a service to the customer. So the next time that you wonder why air fills cost so much (and it's only $5.00 for an air fill), understand that it is not cheap to set upa fill station...properly that is.

Rich
spearfisher is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-14-2008, 03:31 PM   #5
Grand Slam

Send a message via AIM to Tuna Man Send a message via MSN to Tuna Man Send a message via Yahoo to Tuna Man

How to extend a warranty by up to a YEAR on ALMOST anything you buy. American Express and probably others for that matter.

Tuna Man is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-15-2008, 11:55 AM   #6
Grouper

I'm with you guys on this one. I enjoy the fact that if I have a question I can take it to the guys at my dive shop (which happens to be MBT) and they will answer it to the best of their ability. Even better is that they are professional, they've fielded some real bonehead questions from me and dealt with some issues that I should have resolved on my own in a manner that says great things about their establishment. I don't mind going in there and spending a little more on something that I might get somewhere else for a little less because they are providing me with a service and commitment to what they do. They run a business that ultimately has YOUR best interest in mind. Well done guys, thanks for all the things you do or the local divers.
flyingfishr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-15-2008, 12:16 PM   #7
Praedator
Grand Slam

I spend way to much time and money at the LDS. I think I have LDS syndrome:doh
Telum Pisces is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-15-2008, 06:30 PM   #8
Trigger

I stopped in at the new shop yesterday. VERY NICE!

If they (MBT) don't put up new pics soon, stop by and see for yourself!! I look forward to this season.........
FishinFL is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-15-2008, 06:50 PM   #9
Ruby Red Lip

I can tell you as an owner in one that it is very expensive and I understand trying to save a buck when you can too but we have good shops here so find one that fits and support them as much as possible or there won't be a local place for air, supplies and last minute needs....

I shopped with two shops before opening this one and had few problems....

Just be reasonable with the shops when pricing things as they have a huge overhead and need to make a profit like anyone else and comparing them to internet shops isn't a good comparison.

LP is always a bad choice since you won't get a warranty from the factory and I wouldn't trust theirs but that is me.

Plus you are buying a equipment that is your life support so make it count and be safe with good reliable gear that can be serviced locally and backed up when there are issues.

I am prejudice so I won't make a recommendation :-)

Except Bay Breeze Rocks!! Even if Claydoh is a wussy boy and won't shop here ha ha...

unless it is free or almost free then he is all over it, can't blame him though....

MBT is cool though, was my shop too at one time but we will treat you right and if you have an issue just let me know and I will fix it if at all possible...

Just pick one and spend lot's of money heh heh JK just be fair and hopefully we they will be too cuz I don't think any of the shops are out to gouge anyone at all, just make a living like you and everyone else...
scubageek is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-15-2008, 06:52 PM   #10
Ruby Red Lip

Oh and badboy I had some similar issues with a shop here too so I understand completely and that was a great post too.

Thanks,

Carlos
scubageek is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pensacola Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
How Did You Find Us?
Tell us how you heard about Pensacola Fishing Forum.

Log-in