We are are wanting to purchase our scuba gear - Pensacola Fishing Forum

Go Back   Pensacola Fishing Forum > Scuba Forums > General Scuba Chat

Old 03-31-2008, 08:53 PM   #1
Trigger

Default We are are wanting to purchase our scuba gear

It looks like we are going to be ready soon to purchase our gear. Regs, BC, computerand other needed things so we can start diving w/o renting anymore. I am still having a difficult time paying the LDS prices. I keep hearing from others that the LDS will stand behind what they sell. I understand this but what if I move to another state. What happens then. Do I have to repurchase to get service. It just seems to me like things are backwards in the scuba world still. I see on the internet that sites are legal/certified sellers of scuba gear and that the warranty should be transferable. So how should I do this. Damm I hate this part of Scuba.

What if I just moved from California to Florida and needed work/service on my equipment that I purchased there would the LDS charge me more to service it? I just do not understand what is going on..... This is enough of a headache to keep people from scuba diving. But then again maybe they want to keep scuba for the rich folks. And you know what the money part is not the biggest part to me SAFETY is but I will be dammed if I am going to pay 2x the price I can get it somewhere else for. It is all about the principal of it
ReelDuel is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-31-2008, 09:34 PM   #2
Sailfish

Default RE: We are are wanting to purchase our scuba gear

Ihear ya both but but dont agree, it depends on what you really need out of the shop. I dive in extreme conditions and I dont service regs for a living.The service from our shops are great! I have a good life and I trust that with Chuck, Fritz and Jim at MBT. I alsodont agree that the prices are twice as much in dive shops as on the internet becauseI have bought dive gear from my dive shop that was cheaper than I could have sniffed at online.I guess we can start a debate that may go 50/50 but I will always go to my shop for gear and service. At least go talk to the guys there at MBT, if you have any questions they will be happy to answer them for you.

no woryz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-31-2008, 09:41 PM   #3
Grouper

In the interest of disclosure let me first say that I am an instructor at MBT here in Pensacola so take what I have to say for what you think it's worth.

First, I can only speak for MBT but in my dealings with other LDS I have experienced exceptional service as well. At MBT we will service any piece of gear that you purchase regardless of where you purchase it. If you do decide topurchase used dive gear we will be glad to check it out for you, offer our opinion, and perform any needed service on it for you as well.Many PFF members can vouch for this fact. Secondly, as far as theinternetgoes, I guaranteethat our prices will meet or beat the internet prices for almost any product that you find in our store. Do your research, and let us know what you are looking for and we'll work up an estimate for you. I'm going to leave the spitting silicone through your regualtor thing alone. I think that speaks for itself. (Just bustin your chops Billybob...that's another thing your LDS is good for.)

Either way, hope to see you on the water soon, wherever you buy your gear from.

Rich
spearfisher is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-31-2008, 09:43 PM   #4
Trigger

I am not about to jump in the LDS vs. internet sales debate, but whatever you buy, where ever you buy it; spend the hundred bucks or so a year and get the life support equipment serviced. Most gear bought through authorized dealers have several years to a lifetime of free parts as long as the gear is serviced annually by an authorized shop. This accounts for $30 - $50 of the cost for most regs.
SCUBA Junkie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-31-2008, 10:50 PM   #5
Praedator
Grand Slam

I can back up what Rich is saying about buying gear elsewhere and them servicing/checking it out for me. My regs where/are hand me downs that had not be used in 2 years. I brought them up to the shop and they took a look at them for free and let me know what needed to be done to them and if they were still servicable etc... If you find someone local that has used gear, take it to MBT before you make the final purchaseand they will tell you if it's worth a damn and give you honest, unbiased feedback even though you are not purchasing it from them. I did my BClike this as well.Found it used local, took it to them for them to check it out and said, yep that's a great BC. They are there for you in the long run. They know that if they treat you with respect even though you didn't buy your gear from them, you'll come back. Hell, they hooked me and now I can't seem to quit spending money there.:banghead

One thing that MBT has that is cheaper than online is speartips. (There are other things) I bought one off of Leisure Pro one day before checking with them first on a price. I ended up loosing that tip on the very next trip. Went to MBT to check out their tips and low and behold, they were cheaper than what I just paid Leisure Pro for the same dang tip. So do some shopping around online and then go to them and see what they can do. If it's only a small percentage more, isn't that worth having it in your hands before you pay for it.

Ok there's my monthly MBT plug on here. I'll expect the check in the mail later Rich.
Telum Pisces is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-31-2008, 11:45 PM   #6
Trigger

I truly think MBT is a great dive shop. I am thinking that this is where I need to get our gear. I am going to buy new gear period. No used stuff for me, not a choice for me. I do understand the safety in this sport and SAFETY is number one!!
Old 04-01-2008, 09:25 AM   #7
Snapper

I can empathize with your dilema. When I was the 'FNG', I had no clue as to gear, cost, service, etc. Sounds like you're doing your homework, so good for you. I, too, am a faithful follower of the MBT cult and I can assure you that it ain't cause the're purty to look at! If you have questions, go in the shop and ask 'em. As far as $$$ goes, they will do everything within their power to get you in gear for the same amount, if not less, than you'll spend over the internet! Remember, they have a HUGE Grand Re-Opening Sale planned for next weekend. (April 11th-13th) So now is the time to be dragging into the shop and get an idea of what you want. Whatever you decide, hope to see you out on the water...it's that time of year!
BADBOY69 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-01-2008, 11:49 AM   #8
Blue Marlin

ReelDual, it is quite a trek for me to go to MBT, seeing as I live on the est end of Gulf Breeze, but it is worth it. It's like Cheers, you wanna go where everybody knows your name.....fa la la la la...your name....

They are great guys, and patient with idiotic questions...and knowledgable.

As far as price, I am the same way, wanting to save a buck because I am cheapass, BUT..when they have there spring sale, or grand opening, whatever you want to call it...you will be able to snag stuff for alot of times CHEAPER than online!

If you are about ready to purchase, I would go in there now, figure out what you want, and find out what the price will be during the sale and DO IT!!

Look foward to diving with you!
Old 04-01-2008, 08:22 PM   #9
Trigger

Does MBT sell Scubapro gear? I looked at their site and like what I saw. Can someone give me a ballpark price for the gear we will need? I hate being the new guy and am ready to take the plunge. How much do you think it will cost to purchase BCD, Console, Regulator & octo, Gauges andComputer. We are also goint to need wetsuits, fins, a mask, snorkel.
Old 04-01-2008, 08:27 PM   #10
Trigger

The only local SCUBAPRO dealer is Dive Pros on Hwy 98 near Navy Hospital. This is not to start another debate on "who makes the best gear", as all the majors put out high quality stuff, however I use SCUBAPROgear and am very satisfied with it all.
SCUBA Junkie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pensacola Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
How Did You Find Us?
Tell us how you heard about Pensacola Fishing Forum.

Log-in