Want crew next year - Pensacola Fishing Forum

Go Back   Pensacola Fishing Forum > Scuba Forums > General Scuba Chat

Like Tree2Likes

Old 09-29-2014, 07:33 PM   #1
Trigger

Default Want crew next year

Hi all. I posted earlier this year but since we had our first child boat repairs were not in the works. Next year w/ my bonus at work I'll be fixing it up and was debating a commercial license and doing some work on the weekends but a post in the networking boards nixed that.

I would like to take a couple people out occasionally and will cover all expenses. Here is the catch: It is a 14 ft boat that I will be converting to a tiller to open up more room. If lobster is within reach of a 14 footer I will take people out frequently and cover everything for a share of the lobster. I don't dive and will be learning how to freedive but I love lobster but don't get it very often...not sure if freediving for lobster is possible for a newbie so I need help!

Also, any freedive trips that I will go, I don't mind covering the fuel since I'll be going out anyway and a 14 ft boat w/ a 45 hp motor doesn't burn up a bunch of fuel...we typically go out at the pass from navy point on a few gal unless spanish are running and we troll.

Anybody interested it'll be next year, but wanting to cast my net out now so I can go as soon as the boat is fixed.
advobwhite is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-29-2014, 08:09 PM   #2
ROLL TIDE ROLL
Grand Slam

Sounds like you would be a little over your head with that plan. 14' boat is small enough with just 2 people and a few rods, you throw dive gear and multiple people it could be down right dangerous in the Gulf.
Splittine is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-29-2014, 08:17 PM   #3
Trigger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Splittine View Post
Sounds like you would be a little over your head with that plan. 14' boat is small enough with just 2 people and a few rods, you throw dive gear and multiple people it could be down right dangerous in the Gulf.
Wouldn't be taking rods, and wasn't sure how far out the lobster spots are...was thinking within site of land, no?

Old 09-29-2014, 08:59 PM   #4
Grand Slam

No.
If you can see the pass in a 14'r your way to close!
Old 09-29-2014, 09:03 PM   #5
ROLL TIDE ROLL
Grand Slam

Quote:
Originally Posted by advobwhite View Post
Wouldn't be taking rods, and wasn't sure how far out the lobster spots are...was thinking within site of land, no?
I'm saying just a few rods and tackle box takes up a lot of room in a 14' boat much less having dive gear. Dive gear would be near impossible. I understand you are not taking rods with you.
Splittine is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-29-2014, 09:18 PM   #6
White Marlin

I would never take a 14 ft boat in the gulf even on a calm day. Things can change too fast out there and you will be way over your head. I've been in the bay in a 14 ft flat bottom boat and a nine ft wide v hull boat and when the waves got to two ft it was horrible. We took a beating and it got up to 3 ft waves as a storm came in out of no where with the 14 footer. I never want to be in that situation again, i was waoting for the boat to flip and sink.There is very little room like splitting said for dive gear since it does get crowded with basic fishing gear. It's honestly not worth possibly your life to get some lobster but if you do decide to try it have a floating waterproof vhf and have your life jackets ready.

Last edited by southern yakker; 09-29-2014 at 09:21 PM.
southern yakker is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-29-2014, 09:23 PM   #7
Grand Slam

I don't know many divers who would venture out in a 14' boat. Especially not for lobster. Gotta go at least 10 miles for that.
jspooney is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-29-2014, 09:30 PM   #8
Grand Slam

I'm really hoping this was a joke. 14', no radio, forget Sea Tow, dive gear, 2 people, no watch, just guessing on the anchor, forget the chain, coming in on an out going tide. All we need is a cooler full of beer!
sealark and grouper22 like this.
lastcast is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-29-2014, 09:40 PM   #9
Trigger

Quote:
Originally Posted by southern yakker View Post
I would never take a 14 ft boat in the gulf even on a calm day. Things can change too fast out there and you will be way over your head. I've been in the bay in a 14 ft flat bottom boat and a nine ft wide v hull boat and when the waves got to two ft it was horrible. We took a beating and it got up to 3 ft waves as a storm came in out of no where with the 14 footer. I never want to be in that situation again, i was waoting for the boat to flip and sink.There is very little room like splitting said for dive gear since it does get crowded with basic fishing gear. It's honestly not worth possibly your life to get some lobster but if you do decide to try it have a floating waterproof vhf and have your life jackets ready.
I've fished out of this boat my whole life around Mcrae jetties and just past the rock jetties on Mcrae side(on flat days). We haven't had any problems except for one time we got hit w/ some unexpected 3 footers that weren't forecast. Ride home sucked and took about 2 hrs to get from jetties to navy point but didn't have any fear of capsizing the boat due to my grandfather's experience @ the wheel. Its a V hull and I wouldn't take a flat bottom anywhere past sanders beach. IMHO just watch the weather and be prepared to come in early if needed and a 14 ft boat can handle mcrae or within 200 yds in the gulf. I thought that there were lobster spots within reach of these limitations but guess if/when I do start freediving, I'll stick to 3MB area and jetties off of ft mcrae/pickens.
Old 09-29-2014, 09:41 PM   #10
Trigger

Quote:
Originally Posted by jspooney View Post
I don't know many divers who would venture out in a 14' boat. Especially not for lobster. Gotta go at least 10 miles for that.
That's a no go in my boat!

Didn't realize they were that far out or I wouldn't even ask!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pensacola Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
How Did You Find Us?
Tell us how you heard about Pensacola Fishing Forum.

Log-in