Question of LP and HP tanks - Pensacola Fishing Forum

Go Back   Pensacola Fishing Forum > Scuba Forums > General Scuba Chat

Old 08-01-2009, 05:14 AM   #1
Snapper

Default Question of LP and HP tanks

Im asking because it doesnt make sense to me!

OK. I have a few buddies who I ask for pointers from and then again Ive heard a few on here and others who have mentioned their opinions of HP vs LP tanks...

NOW... If you tank the Valve off a tank its a Cylinder with a threaded hole and empty / hollow correct?

Does the Valve make it LP/HP or just someone tell me what the difference of an LP 85-119 or a HP 80 - 120........ If the LP can be overfilled wouldnt this be freaking HP or the same pressure as a HP tank filled cylinder? Its late and Im thinking ...or I have 1 Atm Narcosis tonight? I dont understand the pressure of the tanks I guess....???? Hmmmmmmmmmm Maybe it was my training from MBT that has gotten me into this, who knows.....

Someone explain the difference of the LP and HPtanks.

Appreciate the help.

Steve Holloway
BOHUNTER1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-01-2009, 09:49 AM   #2
Sailfish

Default RE: Question of LP and HP tanks

Everyone talks about overfilling the LP tanks. And many of us do endorse it. But, technicaly, unless your LP tank has a "+" rating, you're not supposed to fill it beyond the stamped working pressure. If it says 2400, then it's supposed to be filled to 2400. End of story.

Ifit's a 2400psi rated tank with a "+" rating, then it can be filled to 2400 + 10%, for a total of 2640psi.

But, yes, overfilling the LP tanks is kind of a common practice.
FelixH is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-01-2009, 10:56 AM   #3
Grouper

what makes it high or low pressure is the type of steel its made of. A HP tank is made of better steel or aluminum whichallows more pressure. With more pressure you can cram more air into a smaller package. So A HP 100 is smaller size than A LP 95. Valves are A little different too. Some valves are only rated to 3000psi and some are 5000. I dont know if the housing of the valve is any different but the burst disk definatley is. Low pressure is usually the way to go. If you get A LP fill you have all yourair as rated. If you get an overfill to 3000psi you get quite a bit more air than rated. You can go over to cave country and get a LP pumped up to almost 4000 psiand almost double rated air.

I hope I told you right.
Brandy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-01-2009, 12:02 PM   #4
Grand Slam

That 10% overfill on steel tanks is only good up to the first hydro. Your HP tanks are made from the same steel just lift a HP and then an LP of the same physical height and width and you will see why they have a higher pressure rating way to heavy for my old ass. The HPs are just thicker material. Also some of the threads on the HPs are different and smallerthan the standard 3/4" NPS threads on the LPs.
Old 08-02-2009, 01:54 PM   #5
Snapper

Thanks guys!

Just been curious. Ill stick to AL80's I guess.
BOHUNTER1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-03-2009, 11:49 AM   #6
Ruby Red Lip

Don't forget buoyancy characteristics...With a 3mil wetsuit and 5 lb. back plate, I carry zeroweights when diving either LP95 or HP120. With an aluminum 80 I have to carry 6 additional pounds. Makes me feel like a skinny teenager again! :toast
JSeaWach is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pensacola Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
How Did You Find Us?
Tell us how you heard about Pensacola Fishing Forum.

Log-in