Default Pony Bottle

Hey guys, I'm wanting to get a pony set-up. What do yall use/rec
Bigg J is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-15-2009, 01:08 AM   #2
Trigger

Default RE: Pony Bottle

IMHO..have a minimum of a 13 CU pony botttle/regulator set up. I personally don't care for the little Spare-Air units. They are only 3 CU, and might be fine for relatively shallow use, but they don't have enough air for a safe, controlled accent from depth. But when it really comes down to it, a little extra is better than none if you're sucking a vacume at 100'.
SCUBA Junkie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-15-2009, 01:23 AM   #3
Grouper

What are you wanting to do with this set up? Are you looking for a deco rig, gonna be having it just incase you run out air, or what is the main purpose of the the bottle? I personally would recommend getting a 40cu ft tank. They're not to big but offer plenty of spare air and/or deco gas. Also the 40cu/ft tanks offer decent bouncy properties if you plan on keeping it clipped off on your side. Just sit down and take a look at what you are gonna be using it for.

Pierce07 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-15-2009, 03:22 AM   #4
Sailfish

If you just want something to have for an ascent in case you run out and can't find your buddy, a 13 or 19 cu.ft. should be fine. Bigger is better. I wouln't even consider one of those tiny spare air rigs. Depending on the depth of your dive and your rate of air consumption, a Spare Air might not get you to the surface before it's empty, much less do a safe ascent with a safety stop.
FelixH is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-15-2009, 06:19 AM   #5
Grouper

I have a spare air and I like it for snorkeling because it gives me about 26 breaths at less than 15 feet. I'm not a good snorkeler.But for the extra safety I would spend a little more and get a 13 or 19 cf bottle.For a scubaredundant air source, I use a 19 cf bottle with a sherwood 1st and 2nd stage reg. I have the 2nd stage on a tiny bungie cord hanging around my neck so I always know where it is. Many tech divers are doing it like this now and thats where I first saw it. My 19 is attached to my regular tank on a harness thats how I like my set up. If you look around you can find everything you need used. I got my sherwood maximus used at a dive shop for 75.00, pony bottle new was 125.00 and the harness was about 50.00. So I have 250.00 invested in it and The spare air's use to be 250.00 years ago but I dont know now.
dsar592 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-15-2009, 11:21 PM   #6
Grouper

Thanks guys. I've actually been looking at a 13cu. My reason for wanting one is safety, I'm a safe diver but I know shit happens so you can never be too safe.
Old 03-15-2009, 11:31 PM   #7
Grouper

dsar, man be careful snorklin with the mini rig, you can really f*** up your day by mixing free-divin and breathin compressed air. I'm sure you know dude justa reminder.
Old 03-15-2009, 11:38 PM   #8
Sailfish

There are alot of great posts here but for a alternate air source I would recommend you go with the 19cu bottlerather thanthe 13....its neglible on the size difference and the extra volumeallows for a comfortable ascent with a proper safety stop included. The 19 will also be better if you advance your training to higher levels. The 40's are great and I have a few but I use them as O2 stage bottles with various mixes...steel 72's are even better stage bottles,but thats a whole different can of worms....good luck...go talk to the guys at MBT and I know they will give you the best advice to fit your immediate and future needs........Dive Safe.....
no woryz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-17-2009, 01:58 PM   #9
Ruby Red Lip

Gotta agree with last post on bottle size, go with the 19. Next decision you have to make is how to carry. I've used "the ultimate pony bracket" (junk) and the "pony tamer" (ok, better system) but I now use and am thoroughly satisfied with Ultimate Products "Quick Draw Bracket". Securemounting, easy main tank changes without additional hardware and the ability to remove while submerged for give-away.

Stay safe!
JSeaWach is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-17-2009, 06:24 PM   #10
Grouper

Thanks for the advice.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pensacola Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
How Did You Find Us?
Tell us how you heard about Pensacola Fishing Forum.

Log-in