Default Oxygen Hackers..How to make your own Nitrox

tunis
bmoore is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-19-2008, 10:06 AM   #2
Grand Slam

Default RE: Oxygen Hackers..How to make your own Nitrox

You forgot about the annual lease fee for the bottle is $75. Plus you need two cylinders to cascade and use a bottle below the 445 (not 415) PSI required for 32%. Plus the cost of an analyzer to check the mix. Then the expense ofgoing and getting the big O2 cylinders. Unless you dive a lot of Nitrox it isn't worth mixing your own. I also mix my own anduse over 200 fills a year and it is well worth it for me.
Old 06-19-2008, 11:11 AM   #3
Grouper

Send a message via MSN to bmoore

MMmm I was unaware of the annual lease fee. Will have to look more closley at that.

I don't have a "cascade" system. Just one bottle, one whip and one tank to put it in.

Plus the dive shops that I top them off at analyzes the mix for me....no charge. So I dont have an analyzer...yet.

This is not a perfect, professional nitrox mixing system by a long shot but it works well for me, saves me $$$$ and allows me total control over what mix I need.

Sounds like you got the "higher end model"!:clap
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-19-2008, 11:50 AM   #4
Mingo

Yea those where some pretty "SUPRISING" mixes, and that might be the largest guage I have ever seen!
CurtyV22 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-19-2008, 01:03 PM   #5
Grand Slam

Bmoore, Yes your system works and I will hand it to you for having the smarts to set it up. Buy having two bottles you can mix a partial fill without bleeding down the tank to zero. Plus you can empty the low bottle to below 50 psi buy cascading when one bottle gets below 445 psi. Check out in Vince Harlows book how to make an o2 analyzer they are simple and cost around $80 to make. I the most expensive item is the sensor unit. I have one I made and has been working great for many years. Any questions just PM me...
Old 06-19-2008, 02:38 PM   #6
Grouper

Send a message via MSN to bmoore

Thanks Sealark I will look into it and may be hitting you up for some more info!
Old 06-22-2008, 09:35 PM   #7
Trigger

What do you do to ensure that all of your gear is safe for oxygen?

I know O2 and oil or a bad set of o-rings can make a BIG boom.......
FishinFL is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-22-2008, 10:12 PM   #8
Sailfish

While NITROX blending is not rocket science, Brian has simplified the proces a bit, and left out some safety issues. If anyone wants to see how to do it, you're welcome to come by MBT anytime, and we'll show you how it's done, and we'll help point out some important safety issues. Our system is not much more than a fancier version of Brian's, BUT, HOW you do it makes all the difference.

Anyone can mix it, but doing it correctly and efficiently is another matter altogether. How many O2 fills to 418do you get out of the singleABO bottle? Add the lease fee. Add the cost of the air top. How many Nitrox fills do you have to do to make it worth while by saving $3 each? (MBT's NITROX Fill Card price per fill is $8).

For those that want to do it yourself, PLEASE learn what you're doing and do it safely! There was a guy in Mobile that nearly killed himself a few years back because he was "garage filling" and screwed it up and wound up diving a ridiculously high ppo2.

The Oxy Hackers guide is a great book and I highly recommend it! I also recommend getting some formal training before trying many of the tricks themselves. This stuff can kill you if it's not done correctly.

Jim Phillips
Lost Bay Designs™
Custom Screen Printing
Vinyl Graphics
Promotional Products
www.lostbaydesigns.com
Evensplit is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-23-2008, 06:06 AM   #9
Grand Slam

Evensplit is 100% correct any line that touches higher O2 % must be cleaned and it's just not worth the added yearly expenses and buying the extra required gear especially thr monitor to check the mixes unless you use a lot of nitrox every year. You just about have to have your own compressor to make it worth it. Hell the cost to drive to the dive shop and have the O2 topped off will cost more than a nitrox fill with the gas prices for your vehicle!!
Old 06-23-2008, 01:15 PM   #10
Grouper

Their regulator manual is pretty good too. It's a little outdated for some of the current regs, but it gives a pretty good explaination of how a basic piston and diaphragm regulator works, and it gives some good tips on servicing. I do think that once most people take a look at all the tools that are required to correctly repair a reg, and how difficult if can be to get some of the replacement parts they realise that it is something that needs to be done at a dive shop by trained professionals, but there are some out there that have the knowledge and the means. If nothing else, it is a good source of information.
spearfisher is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pensacola Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
How Did You Find Us?
Tell us how you heard about Pensacola Fishing Forum.

Log-in