Oriskany on Friday - Pensacola Fishing Forum

Go Back   Pensacola Fishing Forum > Scuba Forums > General Scuba Chat

Old 10-28-2007, 03:12 PM   #1
Trigger

Default Oriskany on Friday

I hit the Mighty O on Firday with a few friends from work. The seas were less than 2' and we had a great ride out. At the Mighty O, there were several charter guys already on site and I asked one of the skippers about locations of the mooring balls and he immediately offered to let me tie up to his stern and use his down line...I was shocked to say the least. I don't recall the boat name, but the word Tech was part of the name.

Visibility at the surface was under 20', but once we got past the 40' mark it improved to about 50'. We slipped down to 135' on 28% and cruised around the deck. I didn't bring my speargun, expecting too many divers around for a safe shot, and of course I saw a 30-ish lb AJ cruise by about 10' away. We did a 1 hour surface interval and on the second dive I brought down my anchor line so Chris could leave when his divers surfaced. The second dive was to about 110' on 32%, mostly around the second level of the conning tower. Lots of pretty fish, crabs, and the like, on both dives. BTW, the current was really ripping, especially on the second dive.

One thing for sure...I will never fish that wreck...just asking to get cut offs with all those jumbo cudas hanging around.There was someguy in a Silvertonbottom dropping in the middle of everything. He was safe and moved slowly around the dive boats, but he ought to have known he wasn't going to catch a thing with all the divers around.

One last note...Bay Breeze Aquatic Center was very accomodating for the Nitrox fills, but they accidentally filled me to 3000 instead of 3300 (I dive AL 100s), so I got short changed by about 5-10 minutes on each dive. My fault really as I should have brought my spare pressure gauge and checked them when I picked them up.

Harry
Harry Brosofsky is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-28-2007, 03:30 PM   #2
Ruby Red Lip

Default RE: Oriskany on Friday

Hey Harry, that sounds great!

My fishing partner took the GB out to the mighty "O" a month back or so, with some friends to do a dive. They found the same to be true...one of the charter boats offered to let them tie on. They were surprised, and excited to say the least. It really worked out well for them.

Cheers,

Mike
fishprintingfool is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-29-2007, 08:39 AM   #3
Sailfish

Harry,

I've come across the same charter boat... Tech-Rec or Rec-Tech... something like that.

Real nice guy! He's let us tie off to him before also.

Felix
FelixH is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-29-2007, 09:08 AM   #4
Grand Slam

Send a message via AIM to Tuna Man Send a message via MSN to Tuna Man Send a message via Yahoo to Tuna Man

"""" <SPAN id=_ctl1_ctlTopic_ctlPanelBar_ctlTopicsRepeater__c tl2_lblFullMessage>My fishing partner took the GB out to the mighty "O" a month back or so, with some friends to do a dive. They found the same to be true...one of the charter boats offered to let them tie on. They were surprised, and excited to say the least. It really worked out well for them."""

That wouldn't surprise me at all. I'm sure with all the charters out there most are great people. It's the FEW that are not and hence get bashed here. Just like the recreational fishermen, or the Jet-Skiers.

Tuna Man is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-29-2007, 09:09 AM   #5
Sailfish

"One last note...Bay Breeze Aquatic Center was very accomodating for the Nitrox fills, but they accidentally filled me to 3000 instead of 3300 (I dive AL 100s), so I got short changed by about 5-10 minutes on each dive. My fault really as I should have brought my spare pressure gauge and checked them when I picked them up."

You did analyze your nitrox tanks beforetaking them?
Corpsman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-29-2007, 11:15 AM   #6
Ruby Red Lip

Thanks for the kind words Harry and NICE BOAT you have! Always happy to have someone tie off to mesince trying to anchor/tie in to the "O" for a dive can be a challenge, especiallywhen it's crowded. I always send someone down to tie in directly to the dive site andbecause youwere very considerate, you are welcome to tie off to me anytime! I run a 35 footer for 6-person dive charters on weekends and work a "real job" during the week. You are right about fish populations finally growing on the "O"...I'm seeing more shootable size fish every trip although they are mostly away from the island or below 140' due to all the diving activity on the island/tower. Stay safe!!
JSeaWach is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-29-2007, 03:53 PM   #7
Blue Marlin

Sounds like you had some fun Harry!

And glad to see you are a member now JSeaWatch. I have seen you out on the water several times when you had a charter. I have been with Dalton with the 25 foot Dusky, and we have chatted.:toast
Old 10-29-2007, 04:48 PM   #8
Trigger

Corpsman,

Yes, I did indeed analyze them, but the analyzer they use does not incorporate any type of pressure gauge. Theirtape on the tank showed theywere right on for the mix, but read 3300 PSI and they weren't close (slightly less than 3000).

Chris,

Thanks again, and hopefully I'll get to return the favor some day and let you tie off to me.

Harry
Old 10-31-2007, 08:00 PM   #9
Trigger

Bay Breeze made it right today...3 free fills to make up for the short fills. Turns out their pressure gauge was off by 300+ PSI.

Harry
Old 10-31-2007, 08:06 PM   #10
Sailfish

Thats cool.
Corpsman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pensacola Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
How Did You Find Us?
Tell us how you heard about Pensacola Fishing Forum.

Log-in