Open Water Course - Pensacola Fishing Forum

Go Back   Pensacola Fishing Forum > Scuba Forums > General Scuba Chat

Old 01-21-2008, 12:19 PM   #1
Grouper

Default Open Water Course

I will be starting a NAUIOpen Water SCUBA course on January 23, 2008 at MBT if anyone is interested. We start the class Wednesday night at 5:30pm. We will do the academics on Wednesday and Thursday, Friday we will go to the pool, and Saturday and Sunday we dive. After the dives on Sunday we will come back to the shop and take the test. If you complete the academics, the pool session, and the dives, then you are certified by Sunday. The cost of the course is $159.00 for PFF members. If you are interested stop by the shop which is located at 3920 Barrancas Ave, or give us a call 455-7702.

Rich
spearfisher is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-31-2008, 01:54 PM   #2
Ruby Red Lip

Default RE: Open Water Course

Will u be having another class in a few weeks
97ford150 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-31-2008, 02:01 PM   #3
Praedator
Grand Slam

Quote:
97ford150 (1/31/2008)Will u be having another class in a few weeks
They start classes every week at MBT. Rich just might not be the instructor every week.
Telum Pisces is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-31-2008, 02:03 PM   #4
Grouper

Jon, if you complete this course what/when/how deep can you dive?? I'm trying to understand the different classifications.
Gonnamissher is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-31-2008, 02:39 PM   #5
Praedator
Grand Slam

Quote:
Gonnamissher (1/31/2008)Jon, if you complete this course what/when/how deep can you dive?? I'm trying to understand the different classifications.
Technical answer is 60 feet. Now you tell me how many places to dive outside the pass are 60 feet and under, then you will have the non-technical answer. I'll let the dive shop gurus tell you more.
Old 01-31-2008, 02:46 PM   #6
Sailfish

Send a message via MSN to David Ridenour Send a message via Yahoo to David Ridenour

Quote:
Knot a Yacht (1/31/2008)
Quote:
Gonnamissher (1/31/2008)Jon, if you complete this course what/when/how deep can you dive?? I'm trying to understand the different classifications.
Technical answer is 60 feet. Now you tell me how many places to dive outside the pass are 60 feet and under, then you will have the non-technical answer. I'll let the dive shop gurus tell you more.
I had forgotten that. When I was first certified, my first saltwater dive was out of Destin in 85 feet of water. I thought I'd never get to the bottom.
David Ridenour is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-31-2008, 02:50 PM   #7
Grouper

So then thereareother course(s) that you have to take to get deeper/longer more sophisticated?? Is there a requirement for spearfishing as well, or is that bi-product of diving certification??
Old 01-31-2008, 02:56 PM   #8
Praedator
Grand Slam

Quote:
Gonnamissher (1/31/2008)So then thereareother course(s) that you have to take to get deeper/longer more sophisticated?? Is there a requirement for spearfishing as well, or is that bi-product of diving certification??
There is not a course for spearfishing. It's just a bi-product of diving. It's good to dive a little bit without a gun in your hand first though. There is a whole host of additional classes that you can take to further your knowledge and limits in diving.

Here is a chart showing the progression of education through Naui (which is what MBT uses).

http://www.nauiww.org/training_progression.php

If you like fishing then you might want to re-think getting certified. Because once you start diving and if and when you start spearfishing, you will not want to up on top any more going "Here fishy fishy" I like to look the fish in the eye and say, "Bam, your mine"
Old 01-31-2008, 03:12 PM   #9
Grouper

Hahahaha... No seeing you guys post the other day got me thinking about what it would be like. I assumed it took more than a 4 day course to allow someone to go deep sea diving, but didn't know how involved it really was. I'm too chicken to get into the water with Jaws..The old thought for the day..."When you're in the boat you're on top of the food chain, when you're out of the boat, you're part of the food chain"...

I'll stick with snorkling when I go on vacation, at least I can see the T-Backs on the beach from where I'm snorkling.
Old 01-31-2008, 03:17 PM   #10
Sailfish

<U>Technically</U>, an open water diver is certified to dive to the recognized recreational depth limit of 130'. BUT...the deepest we can take openwater students is 60', and all of the agencies will <U>recommend </U>that you get additional training if you want to go beyond 60'.

We also strongly recommend that if you're wanting to do a lot of diving in the local area, that you complete the advanced class, in which you will get experience with an instructor in: deep dives, wreck dives, boat diving techniques, night/limited vis, navigation, and search and recovery. Most of the good diving and spearfishing here is in the 70-120' range.In theadvanced classwe usually try to get below 100' for the class.

There is a spearfishing specialty class that MBT offers - Rich is one of the instructors.

Please feel free to give us a call or post here if you need more info.

Jim

MBT Divers

Jim Phillips
Lost Bay Designs™
Custom Screen Printing
Vinyl Graphics
Promotional Products
www.lostbaydesigns.com
Evensplit is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pensacola Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
How Did You Find Us?
Tell us how you heard about Pensacola Fishing Forum.

Log-in