newbie - Pensacola Fishing Forum

Go Back   Pensacola Fishing Forum > Scuba Forums > General Scuba Chat

Old 08-18-2009, 06:53 PM   #1
Grouper

Default newbie

i have some friends that went as a group and took the class. they seem to be having a blast with it. i could always use another hobby. could i get some advise on the gear i would need and a rough estimate on the cost. with my schedule i wouldnt be able to go that much but i do want some decent equiptment. i would love to get intospearfishing. i may be better at shooting them rather than trying to ring there mouths with a hook.

thanks, jeremy
gcrbama is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-18-2009, 07:26 PM   #2
Snapper

Send a message via ICQ to jbondu1
Default RE: newbie

I recommend MBT Dive & Surf

3920 Barrancas Ave

Pensacola,FL (850)455-7702 :usaflag
jbondu1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-18-2009, 07:42 PM   #3
Blue Marlin

What he said. Go up to MBT, tell them your on the forum. Both owners, Fritz and Jim are members on here, as well as almost all of there instructors. Spearfisher, Caver, Badboy, Florabama, DKdiver, ect.

They can point you in the right direction as far as gear.

You wont regret it!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-20-2009, 12:02 AM   #4
Sailfish

I agree that you shouldvisit all of the local shops and choose the shop that you like best. SCUBA is a very social sport, and every diver needs to choose a "dive shop home" for him/her self. Each shop has its own personality. I am friends with folks at all of the local shopsandI'mbiased towards MBT, but if one of the other shops suits your needs better, please support them.

MBT's customers are very active on the forum, and their passion for diving is obvious.

Statements accusingour friends and customersof trying to win favor with "the owners" couldn't be further from the truth, and I take offense to such accusations, especially from someone that joined the forum just today.

ToMBT's customers, all divers, andthe forum as a whole- even thosethat I frequently disagree with, I wish to extend my sincere appreciation for your participation and/or support.

Jim

Jim Phillips
Lost Bay Designs™
Custom Screen Printing
Vinyl Graphics
Promotional Products
www.lostbaydesigns.com
Evensplit is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-20-2009, 07:52 PM   #5
Snapper

Quote:
AquaHombre (8/19/2009)Do yourself a HUGE favor. Visit all the local dive centers. The folks on this forum are quite obviously promoting tier favorite dive center and are quite likely doing so to curry favor with the owners. Pretty transparent and more than a bit self serving.

I have been in every dive center between Panama City and Gulf Shores this summer and I promise you they would all love to have your business. Go see Eileen Beard or Gene Ferguson at the SCUBA Shack and by all means visit Kurt or Merrick at the Dive Pros. I get Professional Service and excellent advice from all of them. Personally the MBT guys just don't rock my boat and choices are pretty limited.

Good Luck!

I have personal knowledge of MBT getting a buddy exactly what he wanted (most of an entire set up)for a price that was very reasonable. They will get you what you want if it's not hangin' on the wall.

As for people getting on here and showin' them some love, I imagine that's what good customer service gets you.

GAME ON!! Fishing Team
BLUEWATER 2350
Ron19 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-20-2009, 08:23 PM   #6
Grouper

Send a message via MSN to bmoore

Don't rule out Bay Breeze dive center or the dreaded internet or news paper. Quality used stuff can be picked up pretty inexpensively as well. Some still carry the full manufactures warranties.

There is also a shop in Marianna Florida called "Cave Adventures". They by far have the most reasonable prices but lean towards the tech/cave diving community. Great deals on backplates, wings,cannister lights etc.

http://www.caveadventurers.com/
bmoore is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-20-2009, 08:44 PM   #7
Cigar Minnow

Quote:
AquaHombre (8/19/2009)Do yourself a HUGE favor. Visit all the local dive centers. The folks on this forum are quite obviously promoting tier favorite dive center and are quite likely doing so to curry favor with the owners. Pretty transparent and more than a bit self serving.

I have been in every dive center between Panama City and Gulf Shores this summer and I promise you they would all love to have your business. Go see Eileen Beard or Gene Ferguson at the SCUBA Shack and by all means visit Kurt or Merrick at the Dive Pros. I get Professional Service and excellent advice from all of them. Personally the MBT guys just don't rock my boat and choices are pretty limited.

Good Luck!
Who is this guy Aquahombre? I live in Blue mountain Beach and also have been to most of the dive shops from Panama City to Pensacola. I choose to drive to MBT (passing 8 other dive shops on the way)because of the quality of service, prices, and expertise.Do yourself a favor and check them all out, spend your money where you feel you get the best value, service, and support. My money goes to MBT. I like curry on Chicken, can't imagine it on Fritz or Jim. I wonder if the folks at Dive Pros and Scuba Shack know this guy is associating them with his childish rants.
paulithepin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-20-2009, 09:01 PM   #8
Jiggin Finatic
Grand Slam

Quote:

Good Luck!
You need to get a life, come on here and start slamming a good and reputable dive store is wrong. That is certainly not a good way to start on a public forum. I grew up on the East Coast and now live and fish out of Destin and I have been in hundreds of Dive stores and MBT is one of the best in knowledge and friendliness and greeting people when they walk in. It is a service business and if you don't like the service then just go somewhere else don't come on here slamming anyone.
II Chronicles 7:14
if My people who are called by My name will humble themselves, and pray and seek My face, and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin and heal their land.

lobsterman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-21-2009, 09:09 AM   #9
Grouper

Send a message via MSN to bmoore

Gee does it smell like BBQ around here??

opcorn

Actually this isn't Bill but he is very touched that all you fine people still think about him and care.

bmoore is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-21-2009, 09:49 AM   #10
Blue Marlin

Aquahomo... as I asked you in another post,

You seem to have a lot of experience diving and with all the shops in the area. Where you not aware another one has opened a couple years ago, which you did not mention, it seems almost intentionally?

Bay Breeze Aquatics and Dive Shop in Gulf Breeze. With your experience, I would like your opinion on them, and also, why you strangely didn't mention them when you mentioned all other shops by name?

And yes, I do, as many others do, promote MBT. Hmmmm...I think in a business model they call that "customer satisfaction" and "customer loyalty".

If I'm not mistaken, isn't that what every business should be striving for? To make the customers that chose to use there services, SOOOO happy, that they tell all there friends and family, and when ever sombody ask where to go, they tell em bout what they feel is the best shop in town??? And the customer does not even consider shopping around once you have earned there respect, because they feel that comfortable with your service??

So I think your words are actually helping to show why MBT is a great shop...all them pesky little happyily satisfied customers that are so happy they take time to type there thoughts about it. Woww...

By the way..."to curry favor with them..." Did I miss something? Are they givin out freefill cards, or t-shirtsto anybody who post a positive comment about them??? Damn it guys! Why didn't you let me in on it!?!?!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pensacola Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
How Did You Find Us?
Tell us how you heard about Pensacola Fishing Forum.

Log-in