Need Prayers Missing Diving - Pensacola Fishing Forum

Go Back   Pensacola Fishing Forum > Scuba Forums > General Scuba Chat

Old 08-30-2008, 08:27 PM   #1
Snapper

Default Need Prayers Missing Diving

You guys say a prayer tonight.

I diver went missing on Green's Hole. We were out there most of the day. Coast guard is still searching. I will post more details when I am sure the family has been notified.

Chris
craasch210 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-30-2008, 08:54 PM   #2
Grouper

Default RE: Need Prayers Missing Diving

Ya heard this over the VHF at work. Post up details when you know.

Best wishes to finding him and returning him safely to his family.

Pierce07 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-30-2008, 10:26 PM   #3
Snapper

We were out diving today and heard a distress call from a boat called the "pioneer" that was fishing green's hole. They had a diver that had failed to resurface. They stated that the last time they saw the diver, he was on his way up the anchor rope.He did notshow any signs of distress. They were diving in 107 ft of water.Hewas not seen again after that. I cant say for sure if they were diving air or nitrox, but I believe they said it was their 4th dive of the day (I dont know if their earlier dives were shallow water, did not get that information).

We tied up to the distressed vessel and rolled two divers to try and find their guy. The current was unbelievable at the surface (i had to be towed to the anchorline to get down). The friend that I was diving with attempted to descend and get below the current, but was quickly swept away and was recovered by another boat in the area approx 1/4 mile away from the dive site (just to give you an idea of how bad the current was). The water was completely calm on the surface with mostly sunny skies. The visibility was approx 40 ft on the top and less than 15ft on the bottom when we dove. I believe that the conditions had changed some since we got there, because the other boat reported that the current was weaker on the bottom when they were diving.

I made it to 96 ft on the anchor rope (they had a 3/1 scope on the anchor rope) and the current was still just as strong. I dont ever remember a time when I was diving with current that strong on the bottom.

Sadly, we were unable to locate any sign of the diver. There were multiple boats and a helocopter in the area performing a grid search in the area of the the drift/current. Coast guard boats in the area as well assisting in the search.

I dont know all of the details, but I do know that this is a 40 year old causasian male with know known health problems. He had been out diving on that boat 3-4 times, but was a fairly new diver per the captain. The "pioneer" is a small pro-line type boat that looked to be approx 21-23 ft long.

Thanks to Dalton (DKdiver, Kalusa 4) and the vessel "Albatross" for coming out and helping with the search.

I will saya prayer tonight that this guy is floating out to see somewhere and will be picked up by a helo or boat sometime. To my knowledge, the search is still ongoing.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-30-2008, 10:30 PM   #4
Sailfish

Thanks for the info and THANK YOU for your assistance! Hopefully they'll find him this evening. I heard that the other guys did everything they could, and pushed it hard to try to find him.

Jim Phillips
Lost Bay Designs™
Custom Screen Printing
Vinyl Graphics
Promotional Products
www.lostbaydesigns.com
Evensplit is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-30-2008, 10:33 PM   #5
Blue Marlin

Hats off to you and your Partner Chris for making the effort you did in risky conditions.
Old 08-30-2008, 10:52 PM   #6
Grouper

well done Chris. Sorry the results couldn't be better. God be with him and his family tonight, and God be with all those searching hard for him.
spearfisher is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-30-2008, 11:56 PM   #7
Trigger

If anyone hears or finds out more info, please keep us updated! I heard it over the radio this afternoon also, but didn't catch much of it!

Good job Chris, and crew,for puttin in the effort!!

Hopefully all will turn out well...
Sailor612 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-31-2008, 12:24 AM   #8
Snapper

<SPAN id=_ctl1_ctlTopic_ctlPanelBar_ctlTopicsRepeater__c tl29_lblFullMessage>Just got off the phone with CG. Last information is that the search is ongoing. There is still a helo in the area as well. Maybe this diver will have a dive light to signal.

Man I hope this turns out with a happy ending. You guys keep this guy in your thoughts and prayers. I'm sure he must have a family that is going through a terrible thing.

Chris
Old 08-31-2008, 12:49 AM   #9
Trigger

I sure hope they find this guy, if he is floating out there I can only imagine how scared he is. Prayers sent
FLYBOY is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-31-2008, 02:56 AM   #10
Trigger

That current was terrible out there today. Calm seas were a bit misleading. I found that out trying to anchor up. Been praying all day that they would find him. Hats off to you guys for pushing the limits to get down there and do a search. I am praying he has been found by this early morning hour.
Greenjeans is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pensacola Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
How Did You Find Us?
Tell us how you heard about Pensacola Fishing Forum.

Log-in