My Daughter's First Dive - Pensacola Fishing Forum

Go Back   Pensacola Fishing Forum > Scuba Forums > General Scuba Chat

Old 08-13-2009, 08:17 AM   #1
Grouper

Send a message via MSN to bmoore
Default My Daughter's First Dive

I have been working with my 11 year old daughter and she is an excellent free diver.

She wanted to try scuba so I hooked her up with a small size BC and one of my deco bottles "hose clamped" to it. Took her out to the Navarre pier and she LOVED IT!

She is better than most adults I have worked with. Her bouyancy control was good and she was taking the regulator out of her mouth, clearing it and replacing it underwater. Even put a shell in her bc pocket..not looking..WHAT A PRO!

Took the video camera out on the second dive.

Guess I need to get her trained up on Nitrox as well...she is breathing a 50/50 mix. LOL

Got her a wetsuit from Bay Breeze (Thanks guys!) and we are off to Marianna this weekend for some further training.

(Her mother is worried to death! :nonono)
bmoore is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-13-2009, 08:54 AM   #2
Praedator
Grand Slam

Default RE: My Daughter's First Dive

Very good Brain. I wait for the day that I can get my daughter underwater. She's only 3 now. But she has no fear of the water.

Get her interested early and you will have a dive buddy for life. Who knows, one day she might be out shooting you underwater.:doh I hear you about mom being so worried. My wife hates it when I tell her the stories of sharks almost eating me and she doesn't like my diving/spearing hobby. I can only imagine when I tell my wife that I am going to take my daughter out.
Telum Pisces is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-13-2009, 10:09 AM   #3
Grouper

Yea you might want to avoid the horror stories to the missus.

I try not tell her in too much detail about the sharks or getting lost for a moment or two or silted out in a cave.

And I never mention the deep dives! LOL

This weekend will be her first "deep" dive ...over 15 feet but I think she will do fine and really enjoy it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-13-2009, 01:20 PM   #4
Grouper

Brian I have A 3mill shorty thats brand new she can have. My daughter out grew it before she got to use it.
Brandy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-13-2009, 03:00 PM   #5
Grouper

Might take you up on that.

We have a shorty that is a little big and I just bought her a full suit.
Old 08-13-2009, 07:48 PM   #6
Grouper

Don't know you and highly commend you encouraging the interest in scuba. Also very highly recommend you getting the aforementioned training, from a certified and insured professional instructor, as soon as possible. 15 feet doesn't seem like much, but it's deep enough to get hurt in. You can be as careful as you can and things can still go to hell in a handbasket quicker than you think. It is worth every penny and then some to let the pros handle it, and your wife will feel better too. If you are a pro yourself, go for it. Otherwise, pony up and get your girl some professional training. You can always tag along and share the experience. As good as you are, a professional instructor will be better. Just my $0.02, but for sure, kudos on encouraging her interest.
flappininthebreeze is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-13-2009, 08:24 PM   #7
Blue Marlin

Quote:
flappininthebreeze (8/13/2009)Don't know you and highly commend you encouraging the interest in scuba. Also very highly recommend you getting the aforementioned training, from a certified and insured professional instructor, as soon as possible. 15 feet doesn't seem like much, but it's deep enough to get hurt in. You can be as careful as you can and things can still go to hell in a handbasket quicker than you think. It is worth every penny and then some to let the pros handle it, and your wife will feel better too. If you are a pro yourself, go for it. Otherwise, pony up and get your girl some professional training. You can always tag along and share the experience. As good as you are, a professional instructor will be better. Just my $0.02, but for sure, kudos on encouraging her interest.
What is the basis of your comments if you don't know the girl's father? Has it ever ocurred to you that he might be a certified instructor? Additionally, I take exceptionto your comment that "as good as you are, a professional instructor will be better". That's about as accurate as saying that someone with a captain's license is a better boater than someone without one. Sometimes, one's .02 are neither required nor desired.
Orion45 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-13-2009, 09:17 PM   #8
Trigger

Quote:
Orion45 (8/13/2009)
Quote:
flappininthebreeze (8/13/2009)Don't know you and highly commend you encouraging the interest in scuba. Also very highly recommend you getting the aforementioned training, from a certified and insured professional instructor, as soon as possible. 15 feet doesn't seem like much, but it's deep enough to get hurt in. You can be as careful as you can and things can still go to hell in a handbasket quicker than you think. It is worth every penny and then some to let the pros handle it, and your wife will feel better too. If you are a pro yourself, go for it. Otherwise, pony up and get your girl some professional training. You can always tag along and share the experience. As good as you are, a professional instructor will be better. Just my $0.02, but for sure, kudos on encouraging her interest.
What is the basis of your comments if you don't know the girl's father? Has it ever ocurred to you that he might be a certified instructor? Additionally, I take exceptionto your comment that "as good as you are, a professional instructor will be better". That's about as accurate as saying that someone with a captain's license is a better boater than someone without one. Sometimes, one's .02 are neither required nor desired.
He doesnt need a basis for his comments. He was expressing his concern for a child that could be trained improperly from someone that isn't an instructor. Whats wrong with what he said?
matthewy8 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-13-2009, 09:25 PM   #9
Sailfish

Congrats, she's looks like a natural. Terrific confidence builder for a youngster. We also have a full wet suit that would probably fit her... my daughter used it for surfing in California... and she quickly outgrew it, may be just a bit big for your daughter now but may work by the time she's diving the Big "O". Freebie just let me know. Again great job!

Dietrich Bonhoeffer
Mike aka FishWerks is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-14-2009, 12:02 AM   #10
Blue Marlin

Quote:
matthewy8 (8/13/2009)
Quote:
Orion45 (8/13/2009)
Quote:
He doesnt need a basis for his comments. He was expressing his concern for a child that could be trained improperly from someone that isn't an instructor. Whats wrong with what he said?
It's the overall tone of flappininthebreeze'spost. No inputs were originally requested. It was a post concerning bmoore's daughter accomplishment. Why rain on someone's parade? Why not just say congratulations like everyone else has and forgo the lecture?No need to take to the pulpit andadmonish someoneon his fatherly duties.
Orion45 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pensacola Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
How Did You Find Us?
Tell us how you heard about Pensacola Fishing Forum.

Log-in